Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2006, 03:30 AM

Default Re: MTT Heads Up Moral Dilemma - What\'s Your Move?

Hasn't this poll been done before?

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...&fpart=all
Old 04-22-2006, 03:59 AM

btw quick note on my personal views on the subject:

1. In a sit and go I will NEVER NEVER wait. I am playing way too many tables and play in sets. If I wait for them to come back I am not only losing money in terms of EV, but also losing time to play more games. I have more important things to worry about without distracting the hell out of myself and wasting my time waiting for someone to come back online.

2. In an MTT. I would be nice and let someone return headsup. It just feels too slimy and I would actually realy feel bad for the other person to get to headsup in a MTT and lose because of their internet. In a STT I don't really feel bad, as it's just not that big of a deal.

In any case I wouldn't blame anyone who does blind someone out headsup in a MTT.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:06 AM

agree with you on STTs. But tourneys can just be so special to those who make it that far. Last Sunday, I made my first FT in about 5 months. I was PSYCHED!!! I'd neither want to cheapen my experience or take that away from someone else. It isn't just about the money.

And no, I wouldn't hold anything against someone who did this at an FT. I just want others to think about all these things before such a situation comes up. You don't want to feel like you stole a win. Also why I don't like chopping. the earned WIN means more than the money.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:29 AM

Well ok as someone who plays primarily STTs and because its SO much more common to get headsup in them, this is the default situation for me.

It's kind of unlikely to get headsup in an MTT as it is, then to have your opponent disconnect. Also I think the sites give extra time in that situation anyway. So anyway I barely spend any time thinking about what to do if Im headsup for 100k and my opponent disconnects. It almost surely won't happen in my lifetime.

PS - Also I find it a little odd that you can say its unethical in MTTs but not in STTs. Why shouldn't it be stealing in both cases?
Old 04-22-2006, 07:20 AM

I'd rather steal the win from my opponent and donate the extra money to a charity of some sort than worry about what is "owed" to the person I'm competing against.

Right and wrong can be complicated at times. But there are much worse things that can happen to a person than disconnecting at a final table of an MTT. Is it better to sit out and give your opponent a fair chance of reconnecting, or to steal the win and donate the EV you gained through the disconnect to a children's hospital?
Old 04-22-2006, 08:33 AM

A lot of you are saying to just steal the blinds because the guy deserves it but I have one issue. If I came all this way through playing good poker to get heads up, I want to feel like I deserve the win. If I just steal his blinds it just doesn't feel as good.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:51 AM

The caveat I make to stealing his blinds:

I let my timer get all the way down to 1 (no time bank usage) and only call. Odds are most opponents wouldn't be that nice to me. That way if he gets back in he has a shot to defend himself.

He can then use the 2nd place money to get a better connection.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:51 AM

I thought for about half a second about this one. Steal the blinds and do it real quick before they have a chance to get back. I agree that you put yourself at a disadvantage by not stealing, very few people would wait for you
Old 04-22-2006, 09:09 AM

You have a 5-1 chip lead and have declined a Chop offer. You then disconnect. The second place stack waits for you, and then offers a chop upon your return, what would you do?

What was that board game that was out in the 80s..."Scruples," or something like that? I loved it.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:12 AM

Are you sure the guy just didn't go to the movies.

What was the payout?