Default Re: Is this scenario racist?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

When I saw it I immediately thought about the Kobe Bryant situation. The public wasn't wanting to know anything about the accuser so soon in that instance.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow really?

you don't remember all the titty pics leaking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I remember all of that.

My point is that this Jim Gibson guy is pretty much siding with the athlete's which seems crazy to me. There were no anchormen siding with Kobe when he went through this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couple differences - KB is from the NBA - a league known for it's loose moral standards anyway, so this wasn't really a shocking event for an NBA player. Plus, KB was already a millionaire and successful - these 2 guys from Duke have been tarnished already before they had chance to develop any kind of career. So the hurt and shame to these guys is much more than a guy from the NBA.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Duke Lacrosse Team doesn't consist of saints.

See article here.

[/ QUOTE ]

College kids getting caught drinking underage and pissing off the towny neighbors? No friggin way!?!?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Underage drinking is illegal. Being a professional athlete and banging a different chick every night isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it damn well should be.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

When I saw it I immediately thought about the Kobe Bryant situation. The public wasn't wanting to know anything about the accuser so soon in that instance.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow really?

you don't remember all the titty pics leaking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I remember all of that.

My point is that this Jim Gibson guy is pretty much siding with the athlete's which seems crazy to me. There were no anchormen siding with Kobe when he went through this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couple differences - KB is from the NBA - a league known for it's loose moral standards anyway, so this wasn't really a shocking event for an NBA player. Plus, KB was already a millionaire and successful - these 2 guys from Duke have been tarnished already before they had chance to develop any kind of career. So the hurt and shame to these guys is much more than a guy from the NBA.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Duke Lacrosse Team doesn't consist of saints.

See article here.

[/ QUOTE ]

College kids getting caught drinking underage and pissing off the towny neighbors? No friggin way!?!?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Underage drinking is illegal. Being a professional athlete and banging a different chick every night isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it damn well should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2006, 01:15 AM

Villainaire -

Are you one of those black people that bitch and complain about racism every chance you get or make outlandish claims that something is racist when it's fairly obvious it isn't.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villainaire -

Are you one of those black people that bitch and complain about racism every chance you get or make outlandish claims that something is racist when it's fairly obvious it isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

quoted because you are an idiot.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Villainaire -

[/ QUOTE ]

quoted because you are an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

He may or may not be an idiot for accusing Villainaire of it, but don't think for a moment this doesn't happen all the time (hello Cynthia McKinney!)
Old 04-19-2006, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villainaire -

[/ QUOTE ]

If anything, I probably stick up for people who are racists too much. I'm one of two black people where I work and while watching it on TV I just thought to myself...

"WTF! Since when has any media outlet advocated publishing the accusers information?"

If the accused were two black athletes from one of the best colleges in the nation and the stripper was white, I guarantee you that Fox News wouldn't be taking this stance on the issue. It seems pretty obvious to me.

Another great example: Barry Bonds breaking Babe Ruth's record.

I know nothing about baseball, but if you were to substitute the name Barry Bonds with Mark McGuire, you wouldn't be hearing all the criticism IMO.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The liar's, er, alleged victim's, identity belongs on TV about as much as the Duke Lacrosse players belong on trial for rape charges.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have proof she's a liar, there are two young men in North Carolina who would appreciate you forwarding that evidence to their legal counsel. Otherwise, chill.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:25 AM

I would prefer for the media not to make public any of the names. The reason why one would want to with hold the name of the victim is out of a sense of sensitivity for that victim. The problem here is that we don't know who the victim is. Certianly, if they guys are innocent, then they themselves are victims and don't deserve to have their names tarnished. Society has decided that the accused are guilty until proven innocent and thats just the way it is, but there have been enough cases where the men have been proven innocent that this should not be automatic.

Even if the cases where the accused are innocent are rare, the complete lack value in reporting any names (besides entertainment value) should tip the scale infavor of protecting the identities of the accused as well. There is plenty of time to tarnish the name of the guilty accused or the false accuser after the verdict is rendered.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I know nothing about baseball, but if you were to substitute the name Barry Bonds with Mark McGuire, you wouldn't be hearing all the criticism IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank god you mentioned that or we might have a big problem with this one.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank god you mentioned that or we might have a big problem with this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then can you please explain to me why everyone has such a problem with Bonds breaking Ruth's record?