Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2006, 02:36 AM

Default Re: Worst Trade in the last decade of the MLB - Your Opinion

[ QUOTE ]
This was awhile ago but figured i might add Boston trading Baltimore Brady Anderson and Curt Schilling for Mike(?) Boddicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was not a bad trade for the Red Sox. The Sox needed Boddicker as a starter down the stretch to win the 1988 AL East. Boddicker was 7-3 in 1988 and was also 17-8 during the Sox' 1990 championship year. The Sox got exactly what they wanted and needed.

Anderson was worthless at the time (and remained so for three more seasons until he roided up). Schilling didn't make it to the big leagues until 1992.

This was a standard give away some of your future to win now trade.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:36 AM

Certainly there are worse, but one that really pissed me off at the time was the Indians trading Brian Giles for Ricardo Rincon. Of course, Rincon was lousy as an Indian. The Indians at the time were impatient because they didn't have enough at bats for Giles. They should have got rid of Joey Belle instead.

Edit: Checked the stats out of curiousity. Rincon actually pitched well as a setup guy for the Indians. Still an awful trade.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there was the Varitek and DLowe for Heathcliff Slocumb

you could make the argument that dealing Heathcliff was addition by subtraction, so to get something for him is even better

[/ QUOTE ]

Winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this even CLOSE to the trade I listed?

[/ QUOTE ]

it isn't, but not in the way you think.

the slocumb trade was an absolute disaster of a reliever for a guy who's been a top-5 catcher for nearly a decade and a pitcher who was very good for 5 seasons, including a 20 win season and a 42 save season, postseason heroics aside. Slocumb's line for Sea? an ERA of 4.97 in 96 IP

combined Nathan, Liriano, and Boof haven't accumulated the value Boston got out of either Lowe or Varitek and SF at least got one season out of AJ (VORP of 9.1)

as it stands now, they aren't even remotely close
Old 04-16-2006, 02:42 AM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

[ QUOTE ]
The Astros traded Freddy Garcia and Carlos Guillen for half a year of Randy Johnson.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh johnson was like the best deadline acquisition ever in terms of what the player did for the rest of the year after the trade...

this is not even close to the others listed.

edit: i also don't think it's really in the spirit of this discussion to emphasize what garcia and guillen have done after leaving seattle unless you also want to include the four cy youngs johnson has won after leaving houston.

edit again: i just looked at guillen's seattle numbers again. way below average fielding, below average batting, 6.7 warp3 in six years. and he returned nothing in trade. what's the big deal? john halama was worth more to seattle than he was.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:42 AM

Mark McGwire for Blake Stein, Eric Ludwick, and T.J. Mathews, who went 21-28, 2-8, and 25-15 for the remainder of their careers.

And the Cards also got Jim Edmonds for Kent Bottenfield and Adam Kennedy. Kennedy's been OK since then, but Bottenfield went 7-8 and was traded during his first season in Anaheim.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there was the Varitek and DLowe for Heathcliff Slocumb

you could make the argument that dealing Heathcliff was addition by subtraction, so to get something for him is even better

[/ QUOTE ]

Winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this even CLOSE to the trade I listed?

[/ QUOTE ]

i love liriano, but i would trade his future for varitek's past. guaranteed production is worth more than the possibility of even better production.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Astros traded Freddy Garcia and Carlos Guillen for half a year of Randy Johnson.

[/ QUOTE ]

John Halama was also in the deal and had a serviceable season or two for the Mariners.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mark McGwire for Blake Stein, Eric Ludwick, and T.J. Mathews, who went 21-28, 2-8, and 25-15 for the remainder of their careers.

And the Cards also got Jim Edmonds for Kent Bottenfield and Adam Kennedy. Kennedy's been OK since then, but Bottenfield went 7-8 and was traded during his first season in Anaheim.

[/ QUOTE ]

if the debate is over which team has swindled the others the most over the decade, the cardinals win hands down. they also stole renteria and rolen for pennies on the dollar.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:00 AM

Did the Pirates get anything for Aramis Ramirez in the Cubs deal? Oh yeah! Jose Hernandez and Matt Bruback.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Certainly there are worse, but one that really pissed me off at the time was the Indians trading Brian Giles for Ricardo Rincon. Of course, Rincon was lousy as an Indian. The Indians at the time were impatient because they didn't have enough at bats for Giles. They should have got rid of Joey Belle instead.

Edit: Checked the stats out of curiousity. Rincon actually pitched well as a setup guy for the Indians. Still an awful trade.

[/ QUOTE ]

belle was already gone for two years when this trade happened. but the tribe still believed they had a glut of outfielders and a need for relief pitching, as shown by their richie sexson trade two years later (another that deserves an honorable mention).