Old 04-05-2006, 11:22 PM

Default Re: OOT MCAT advise

Pick a different career.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pick a different career.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's an ophthalmologist. He works like 2 hours a day and makes a hundred squillion dollars a year. Nobody calls him at 3 am for an emergency consult. He gets to help a fair portion of the patients he sees. He did okay, I'd say.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He's an ophthalmologist. He works like 2 hours a day and makes a hundred squillion dollars a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha, I wish. Still, I do like the work. Surgery is fun.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:26 PM

All,

regarding 31 not being a good score- I scored a 31 and am currently enrolled in a top-tier school in NYC. not sure when you all took your mcats, on which you may be basing your assumptions that a 31 is not good, but perhaps its been a while. (esp, since i read earlier in the thread of someone taking the exam in Fall ... its currently only offered in August and April.)

regarding med school admissions- i do agree with others that they may indeed be a crapshoot & my personal feeling is that the interview is very key. i feel like your gpa, mcat scores, undergrad university's prestige, etc. work mostly towards getting you an interview. and IMO the interview is really what decides whether you get in or not ... esp at the top schools where essentially everyone is coming from the same caliber undergrad schools and basically has the same grades/scores.

regarding telling OP to 'pick another career'- yeah, if you wanna make bank ... do something else! you can still make a lot of money by becoming a doctor but the opportunity cost just doesnt add up. 4 more yrs of instense schooling, plus anywhere from 3-8 yrs of likely grueling residency/fellowship where you earn peanuts just doesnt compare to going to work for an investment bank straight out of college, putting in a few yrs of hard work, and having a 6-figure salary by approx. your 3rd/4th yr out or so.

i'll refrain from commenting on whether i feel like i'm working harder/longer hrs than all my i-banker friends ... but whereas theyre working hrs on end for ultimately making some really really rich guys somewhere some extra pocket change (and by pckt change i mean millions/billions of $$) to thumb around, i'm learning to make decisions that will ultimately determine whether or not a human being will continue to live or die.