Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2006, 02:13 PM

Default Re: What \"Tools\" Do You Use?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone want to drop a link to the software that revives data-mining for us Partyers? I don't have the patience to sift through the tech section, but it's relevant to this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this software legal, or is Party going to ban us if we try it?

Sorry...
/hijack

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-28-2006, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't play without multitablehelper anymore. Although, it does cause one serious misclick every 500 hands or so (avoidable, if you pay attention before you enter a bet amount, but I am lazy). So far, the misclicks have helped more than hurt. I accidentally raised to 22$ (meant to bet 2$) from the SB with ATo. BB tanked and pushed for 30 more. I called, and won with A high vs. KQs. But the software is awesome, especially with a wireless keyboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing quite like minraising or openpushing at the wrong table. But even still i really like multitablehelper.
[ QUOTE ]

Never heard of this program - link?

[/ QUOTE ]

SoftwareForum

Or directly:
multitablehelper
Old 03-28-2006, 02:17 PM

wow thats alot easier to count odds, ive always done it by counting my outs, subtracting that number from 47 or 46, then dividing that number by my outs. So with the 2/4 rule if I have 9 outs on the flop, I'm 18% to make my hand by the turn, how do I realate 18% to the pot odds though.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow thats alot easier to count odds, ive always done it by counting my outs, subtracting that number from 47 or 46, then dividing that number by my outs. So with the 2/4 rule if I have 9 outs on the flop, I'm 18% to make my hand by the turn, how do I realate 18% to the pot odds though.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the heat of the moment? 18% is almsot 20% which you know is a 4:1 against, 15% is 5.5:1 so 18% should be somewhere around 4.8:1 against you hitting - so if you're getting 5:1 pot odds, you're good - if you're getting 4:1 pot odds, then you will need implied odds to make the call correct

ran through a calculator, you take 100%-18% which is 82%, then you take 82%/18% which = 4.55555

Someone please make sure I am doing this right so I don't infect someone with the wrong math
Old 03-28-2006, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can someone explain the 2/4 rule to me?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's easy: count your outs. The probability of hitting on the turn is roughly (2xOuts)%, and the probability of hitting on the turn and river both is (4xOuts)%. In other words, if you've got 5 outs to improve (pair, ace kicker), your chance of improving on the turn is roughly 2x5 10%, and by the river it's roughly 4x5 = 20%.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can also use it to factor in backdoor outs. E.g. you have A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] TPTK vs. villain's T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] top and bottom pair with a flop of 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. You want to improve to two pair, so you have 3 aces and 3 threes on the flop. If the turn comes a queen (or any other brick), you pick up three more queens on the turn, so your equity is ~(6*4% + 3*2%) = 30%.

Board: 2h 3h Th
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)

Hand 1: 32.0707 % 29.39% 02.68% { AsTs }
Hand 2: 67.9293 % 65.25% 02.68% { Td2d }
Old 03-28-2006, 02:24 PM

PT, Gametime+ and Pokerstove. Made a notepad chart when I started playing listing # of outs and %'s to hit with 1 and 2 cards to come. Used that while playing for awhile and it just kinda became ingrained in my head.

OP: I think its safe to assume the vast majority of people you encounter at online poker tables are not using any of this software. The numbers of people using it here at 2+2 will obviously be proportionally way higher. While I don't think this software could possibly harm your game the added benefit of using it may be exaggerated at times. Several friends of mine who play at much higher stakes online have no time for this stuff and do quite well.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the heat of the moment? 18% is almsot 20% which you know is a 4:1 against,

[/ QUOTE ]
...and stop there. If you are contemplating a call that is correct if your odds are 4-to-1 against but INCORRECT for 4.5-to-1 against, you can just flip a coin, because you won't be far wrong either way. Most of the time, a ballpark figure like "about 4-to-1 against" is PLENTY for deciding if a call is smart or not. We're working with implied odds more than pot odds, after all, and those are just guesstimates to begin with. Figure things out in rough terms and make your decisions accordingly.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how do I realate 18% to the pot odds though.

[/ QUOTE ]

18% is 18 time in 100, or about 1 in 5, or 4:1.

As I think was mentioned elsewhere, this computation is close enough. If your decision is close enough that 5 chances in 100 swing your decision, then there are other things you should be thinking about in the hand to help you decide.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:36 PM

I'm coming from a limit backround so I have a hard time accounting for pot odds for gutshots If i'm getting say 5 to 1 for a clean shot, will implied odds make up for it with even stacks?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Grunch I'm looking into PokerOffice. What are your thoughts on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it better than PT so far. It's more customizable, it has everything built-in that you need PT add-ins for (things like graphs & HUDs), and it understands poker.

It's not perfect, though.

First of all, it can't handle FTP, which is where I play a lot. I've temporarily moved over to Stars b/c of this.

Another thing, the HUD will display mucked cards, but it won't display the board cards. I've discovered that I have a poor enough memory & am easily enough distracted that I could use this.

All in all, I like it better than PT.