Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2006, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Show for Dids, Diablo, IndieMatty and others

[ QUOTE ]
I'm like way deep into getting obsessed with cooking, and I'm loving Top Chef. Somehow it makes up for being really predictable (Is there any way Lee Ann doesn't win? Can somebody go to the MGM and see if Steven is still working there and if so spit at him?).

[/ QUOTE ]

Is Top Chef similiar to Hell's Kitchen (from Fox last year)?
Old 04-20-2006, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm constantly blow away that otherwise very intelligent people waste their time on these shows. I really don't get the fascination. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you're missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Evidently I am because I really don't get it. What is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea, but I'm sure countless people in the Entertainment industry would pay a lot to know.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm like way deep into getting obsessed with cooking, and I'm loving Top Chef. Somehow it makes up for being really predictable (Is there any way Lee Ann doesn't win? Can somebody go to the MGM and see if Steven is still working there and if so spit at him?).

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same underlying idea, but the structures of the challenges and who gets eliminated is very different--although almost a carbon copy of the Project Runway formatt.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:46 PM

I haven't seen Hell's Kitchen, but from what I undertand it likely is the same, but it's on Bravo and the other one is on Fox, and that information should be enough to allow you to make some correct assumptions.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:45 PM

GH,

It's a combination of drama and watching people expert in some area that is of interest.

Do you watch any televised sports? If so, why do you find that interesting? Lots of parallels in terms of the things that make a show like this and a sporting event interesting to watch for some people.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:46 PM

JBB,

I had high hopes for Thief and Heist. I watched a little of both and was underwhelmed, and neither made it into my Season Pass rotation.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
GH,

It's a combination of drama and watching people expert in some area that is of interest.

Do you watch any televised sports? If so, why do you find that interesting? Lots of parallels in terms of the things that make a show like this and a sporting event interesting to watch for some people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I watch sports. But I don't watch shows that explore every area of the athlete's private lives. I can understand watching people do something they're expert at. It's the other part I don't get, and these shows all seem to focus on that other part. I don't care what housewives in Orange County are doing. I don't want to watch seven twenty-somethings living together in a house in San Diego or wherever. That's the part I was referring to. As far as I can tell none of these people are really good at anything.

While I'm kind of taking jabs here, I really am curious about the fascination with these shows.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the cooking and elimination part is comparable, yes. but in Top Chef there is a panel of judges and not some egomaniacal, pompous douche with severe anger management issues bullying everyone around as in Hell's Kitchen.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:21 PM

GH,

There are two (at least) fundamentally different classes of reality shows.

One is stuff like The Real World / Laguna Beach / Real Housewives etc. These shows are basically just dramas/sitcoms/whatever using real people instead of actors. How well storylines can be created, how compelling/attractive the characters are, etc. are the things that make these interesting or not. People are interested in these for the same reason people are interested in a show like Friends or Seinfeld or ER or whatever.

The other is stuff like Project Runway / Top Chef. These have some of the characteristics of storyline/characters/etc (just as sports does w/ athletes and rivalries, etc.), but primarily they are about experts competing at their craft.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:22 PM

GH,

" I don't care what housewives in Orange County are doing. I don't want to watch seven twenty-somethings living together in a house in San Diego or wherever. "

Do you watch (or have you watched) any weekly TV series? If so, why?