Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Ask wrongarm300/siccjay about BOWLING

There aren't any pros that throw it straight like this guy is talking about.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:18 PM

Is it wrong that I inflate my ego by picking up "bowling alley girls" (older than 18; usually older than 45 in fact)?

craig
Old 03-24-2006, 09:35 PM

Never.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am so awesome. It is all about the mesh backed cap. It isn't really me that charms these 40+ers, as it is the hat.

craig
Old 03-24-2006, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I bowl straight, and have absolutely no desire to learn how to hook it. I'm an average bowler I guess (148 average in my bowling class, no instruction, just go and bowl). I bowl straight and normally hit the pins well, but I find myself hitting 8's and 9's all the time. I have no problem picking up spares, but it's hard for my to consistently strike often. I'll often have games that look like //9/X//89/ something like that. Any tips?

Also, I'm wondering what the limit is as far as bowling straight goes? Not that I'd ever be good enough to go pro, but are there any PBA bowlers who throw straight? Would I be able to be one of the better league bowlers in an average amateur league w/ 40 year olds and random teenagers throwing straight?

[/ QUOTE ]

sure, there are pro bowlers who throw straight, but that's only when the oil pattern allows that. They are still using a high-performance bowling ball.

I average 214 in league, and I could probably average 180 or so with a house ball that doesn't fit me perfect.

You really need to get a good bowling ball to strike more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense, I've been looking to get a ball anyway. Being I bowl straight, what would be a nice ball to buy that's not ultra expensive? What price am I looking to pay?
Old 03-25-2006, 01:38 AM

What do you know about action bowling? Is it true that many of the best action bowlers of old could beat PBA guys but were not allowed into the PBA tour because they were seen as undesirable characters? Do people still bowl action for big money these days?
Old 03-25-2006, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This goes out to any of the bowlers that have stepped up in this thread (thanks for the good info).

What kind of ball would any of you suggest buying? Prices?
Old 03-25-2006, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you know about action bowling? Is it true that many of the best action bowlers of old could beat PBA guys but were not allowed into the PBA tour because they were seen as undesirable characters? Do people still bowl action for big money these days?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrongarm may know better than I do, but I haven't heard much about older players that didn't bowl on tour. I'm sure there were plenty of bowlers that could hang on tour that didn't. I have for sure never heard of anyone that wasn't allowed on tour for being an action bowler. Most of the bowlers on tour are all about action.

These days the tour is more attractive to players because there is a lot more money then there used to be and amature bowling isn't what it used to be. There are still tons of great players who stay amature and bowl things such as Team USA and megabucks events in Vegas. There is plenty of action around still but I think of lot of it is more organized than it was before.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This goes out to any of the bowlers that have stepped up in this thread (thanks for the good info).

[/ QUOTE ]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the Inferno line. The original and the Ultimate being my favorite. The new one looks like a monster though. They run from 200-230 in pro shops and probably 130 online. Ebonite's The One is awesome. On the right shot there really isn't anything like it. It's about the same price as the Infernos.

Some cheaper stuff thats good would be Brunswick Strike Zones and Zone Classics. Hammer Big Rig Diesel and Raw Doom are also nice and all these run from 150-170 in shops and probably 110 online.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I STRONGLY suggest that beginning bowlers not drop too much on a ball until they've owned a ball of their own, gotten used to throwing one and taking care of it, etc.

The best way to get a high quality ball without dropping too much dough is to get a used ball. However, this is a very hit-or-miss process. But you can get balls that were top of the line as recently as 2-3 years ago for under $50 now. The technology turns over really quickly.

I learned to bowl with a hook using an original Cuda/C 16lb ball that I picked up off the racks. Other balls I threw in the early days were an AMF Cobra, a Brunswick Rhino, an original Zone, and an original El Nino (which is a fairly coveted ball... I got lucky.) I didn't pay for any of these balls. They had just been left in the bowling alley and the staff gave them to me right off the racks. This is easier for me because I don't use my thumb, so I can throw most any ball regardless of span.

But you should use your thumb, so your best bet is to look for a pro shop with a competent ball driller and a selection of used balls. You can also get a new resin or particle ball for under $100, drilled, in many places, or get a free or discounted ball for joining a league. Many leagues are fun and laid back, unlike what you might expect. I first bowled in a late night doubles league and had a blast.

Everyone has their personal favorite brand or type of ball. I haven't been buying new balls lately but my brand of choice for years was Storm. I found their balls had a lot of quality and could be very aggressive, but also consistent and predictable. Most of the high end Brunswick balls when I was really serious were particle coverstocks rather than resin, which I typically didn't like. Columbia is another reputable company that makes a TON of different balls, which means you can get some decent balls that weren't popular at a relatively low price.

I would stay away from high end balls ($150+) until you get the basics down. Bowl a league for a year with a used ball and get a feel for it. Having a ball drilled to fit your needs is important too, and as you learn your delivery, ball speed and revs will all be changing.

NT