Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2006, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Jeopardy! Online Test

[ QUOTE ]

that $40k isn't accurate because u aren't always the fastest to buzz in; if u are fastest half the time (on average one of the other 2 knows the answer as well), then you'll be at $20k, etc

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, this is absolutely true. Winning on Jeopardy is 90% buzzer timing and 10% knowledge.

Edit: And like 10% steam control. What? That adds up to 110%? Normalize it, bitches.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no, you really should know about this amount if you plan on being competitive to be on the show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok first read this webpage if you're not familiar with Coryat scores. http://www.pisspoor.com/jep.html

Getting more than 75% of the questions right would be a Coryat score of around $40,000~ ($54,000 worth of clues X 75%). It would be obviously less accounting for misses and getting a disproprotionate number of lower clues, but still, you claim to get MORE than 75%, right.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i very regularly get more than 75% of the questions correct.

what you don't understand is that knowing the answer is not enough - you have to time your buzzer correctly in order to get in first (especially on the easier questions) to get the question credited to you. if you pay attention, you will often see that all three contestants are attempting to buzz in on the same question, but two likely rang in before the boardside lights came on, penalizing them and allowing the third to get in and answer correctly.

if you get on the show, you likely know enough of the questions to win (and yes, this is 75% or more of the number of questions asked, minimum). once you're on, it's all about the buzzer - mostly in double jeopardy. i dominated both of the shows i was on in the jeopardy round, but got railed in double jeopardy in the second game because i lost my buzzer timing.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:31 PM

It should be noted that if you have already registered for a regional contestant interview for the summer, you can't take the online test, as they will count it as a duplicate entry and disqualify you.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that $40k isn't accurate because u aren't always the fastest to buzz in; if u are fastest half the time (on average one of the other 2 knows the answer as well), then you'll be at $20k, etc

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what you don't understand is that knowing the answer is not enough - you have to time your buzzer correctly in order to get in first (especially on the easier questions) to get the question credited to you. if you pay attention, you will often see that all three contestants are attempting to buzz in on the same question, but two likely rang in before the boardside lights came on, penalizing them and allowing the third to get in and answer correctly.

if you get on the show, you likely know enough of the questions to win (and yes, this is 75% or more of the number of questions asked, minimum). once you're on, it's all about the buzzer - mostly in double jeopardy. i dominated both of the shows i was on in the jeopardy round, but got railed in double jeopardy in the second game because i lost my buzzer timing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow you guys may get a lot of questions right but you sure suck at reading comprehension. Did you even look at the link I sent you. You really think I don't understand buzzer speed as a big factor. You say you get 75% of the questions right, OF A RAW SCORE, PLAYING BY YOURSELF WITHOUT HAVING TO RELY ON RINGING IN FIRST THAT WOULD BE AROUND GETTING $40,000 WORTH OF CLUES WHILE WATCHING AT HOME.

THIS DOESNT MEAN THAT I THINK YOU SHOULD GET $40,000 IF YOU WERE ACTUALLY TO GO ON THE SHOW AND PLAY.

I understand that the buzzer is a huge factor while on Jeopardy. Perhaps you should read the link I sent you before you respond to my posts again.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow you guys may get a lot of questions right but you sure suck at reading comprehension. Did you even look at the link I sent you. You really think I don't understand buzzer speed as a big factor. You say you get 75% of the questions right, OF A RAW SCORE, PLAYING BY YOURSELF WITHOUT HAVING TO RELY ON RINGING IN FIRST THAT WOULD BE AROUND GETTING $40,000 WORTH OF CLUES WHILE WATCHING AT HOME.

THIS DOESNT MEAN THAT I THINK YOU SHOULD GET $40,000 IF YOU WERE ACTUALLY TO GO ON THE SHOW AND PLAY.

I understand that the buzzer is a huge factor while on Jeopardy. Perhaps you should read the link I sent you before you respond to my posts again.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Poker players are notorious for overestimating their win rate and their abilities and I assume its the case here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should read your own posts before bashing us for responding to your outlandish claim that's probably just jealousy. Just because you can't answer that many doesn't mean nobody else can.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:46 PM

Question for those who have been on the show:

When Alex is reading the question, can you see the question on the screen and read along with it?

I know that I'm usually the quickest to shout out an answer when I'm watching the show in a bar, but my eyes are usually skipping down to the bottom and reading the last few words before Alex gets there. I've always wondered if this "strategy" is available to contestants in the studio.

And if I ever get on that show, and find the first DD, I'm moving all-in.

Note to all the 75% people: Getting 100% right in the first round, and 50% right in the second round, won't get the job done. As Alex himself is fond of saying, "Anybody can do well in the Jeopardy round. But to succeed on this show, you need to do well in the Double Jeopardy round."
Old 03-21-2006, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Question for those who have been on the show:

When Alex is reading the question, can you see the question on the screen and read along with it?

I know that I'm usually the quickest to shout out an answer when I'm watching the show in a bar, but my eyes are usually skipping down to the bottom and reading the last few words before Alex gets there. I've always wondered if this "strategy" is available to contestants in the studio.

And if I ever get on that show, and find the first DD, I'm moving all-in.

Note to all the 75% people: Getting 100% right in the first round, and 50% right in the second round, won't get the job done. As Alex himself is fond of saying, "Anybody can do well in the Jeopardy round. But to succeed on this show, you need to do well in the Double Jeopardy round."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - there's a big screen TV with the question on it on the side of the stage (not shown on TV). You can't read what's on the board (it's way too small).
Old 03-21-2006, 05:12 PM

posnera,

What was your Final Jeopardy question?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
posnera,

What was your Final Jeopardy question?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was also curious about this.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should read your own posts before bashing us for responding to your outlandish claim that's probably just jealousy. Just because you can't answer that many doesn't mean nobody else can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow another incredibly stupid post by you in this thread. Good job. So far you've vastly overstimated the number of questions a competitive person who goes onto Jeopardy gets, that I backed up with information from a well respected 5 time champion whos webpages contain a good deal of information for jeopardy fans, then you completely misinterpret and ignore the data that I talked about, and then you accused me of being jealous because I can't get as many questions right as you. Sure buddy, you're really on a roll right now.

here is thread that is 507 posts long on the Jeopardy message board where everyone is comparing their Coryat Scores for each day as well as the number of questions they got right and got wrong. Notice that almost nobody who consistantly posts their scores is getting more than 45 questions right on average. This message board is loaded with former contestands, many of which did very well on jeopardy.

If there are people out there who really think they are doing that well on Jeopardy and don't actually record their scores on a daily basis I know you will probably be way off. Please, if you think you get 75% correct, watch Jeopardy for two weeks, record your Coryat score and the number of questions you get right and wrong and report back to me. Also, you might be able to get more than 75% right, I am not entirely skeptical on that, but your idea that most people should be getting that who are competive on Jeopardy is pretty nuts.