Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2006, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Turned in My Badge (Long Farewell)

[ QUOTE ]
You should teach a course in class.

[/ QUOTE ]

This couldn't be more true. Good luck Q. BTW i have #4 on the way the oldest is six. Let me know if you figure out what causes this.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:28 PM

I think you're making a good move here. Down the road, you can look back and say when poker was the all the rage, you got in and made a little money and after it cooled off, you went on to other things. All experiences in life are valuable. Poker as a small hobby instead of a full time job can make all the difference. By the time you get to my age, you learn that fads never last very long. The public just moves on to the next fad...and so it goes. All the best to you and your family. ww
Old 03-16-2006, 10:42 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

you'll be missed.

while most people will wish best luck and such, i'd much rather say enjoy the new life.

change is good.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:43 PM

Don't be a stranger...as a beginner, your posts have meant a lot.

I think E-40 said it best when he exclaimed..."Bust a couple-a ****, hit the **** and then the *****"

Much Respect. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2006, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I'm sure somebody has asked this before... but why didn't you move up from 2/4? The expected hourly rate increase I would think would be a motivating factor to one is supporting others off of his poker income.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played almost exclusively the worst hours to play...almost all weekdays and 9-5. This coupled with the fact that I'm a huge full ring fan who plays 8+ tables kept me pretty much at 2/4. The full games pretty much suck at those times until you get to 15/30. I did take a healthy shot at 15/30, but took a nasty run coupled with some over aggressive play, and that 250BB attempt I shut down. The games were very good though, and I have no doubt I could beat that game for a decent rate. I also played 5/10 full for a while. However, it just sucks bumping heads with TAGS all day long. The rakeback alone, playing 80k hands of 5/10 is very attractive. However, I think people underestimate how hard it is to even beat the rake in a game like the party 5/10 full game.

So, in short I did make some attempts, but I refused to change my schedule to do so. The answer, as WD continues to hammer here, is 6 max. I played that for a while too, but I just don't enjoy it near as much as full.

Playing massive amounts of 2/4 full is a very "safe", lucrative plan. Again, I think people miss the effect that mass hand production can have. Some don't like it, I did...to each his own. But, I made as much as other online pros I know playing 20/40 and 30/60. Granted, they play less hours, which certainly is a nice benefit.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, for curiosity's sake would you be willing to post your graph/stats for your pro career?

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I wish I used my brain and made backups of my databases. Unfortunately, I've lost databases several times with stupid computer crap happening, upgrading to postgresql and so forth. I only have like 250k of limit and a couple thousand sngs left now. I did make a graph of like 200+ in my recent "I'm Spent" post, but that's about the best I can do...total bummer as I too would love to see a graph of 3/4 million hands. At some point, BostonZak will be able to hook us up tho.

When I talk the impact of the long run though, the one thing that has constantly amazed me is the differences in 100k hands.

I remember when I first started posting here, people talked about 50k - 100k hands really being something to look at. IMO, it's not. In my last post, I mentioned how I've been a loser in 100k hands stretches, and ran over 3 in other 100k hands stretches. Again, as we all know, so many things impact this, but the stretches in this game are still something to respect.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you made a wise decision. I'd much rather take in a steady income than variance riddled poker income with a third one on the way. I had a great time playing and learning poker with you. Come back anytime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh...we're 3 deep already bud. I have a 2 year old, a 1 year old and a 2 month old.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2006, 12:00 AM

Happy Birthday Brett!
Old 03-17-2006, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Best of luck with the new job! What kind of work will you be doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

The place I worked at before I started pro was called Kinetico. They make water treatment equipment. I'm now going to be working for one of their dealers selling water treatment equipment. It's something I always wanted to try when I was working there, so off I go.

It's funny, you made me think about this, and I find this humorous. I'm 29 right now, and I'll be 30 in a couple months. In the last 9 years, here's the list of jobs I've had:

Fast Food
Cleaning Furnaces and Ductwork
Janitor
Gas Station 3rd Shift
Delivering Pizza
Building Cabinets
Preacher
Painter
Human Resources
Receptionist
Staffing
Administrative Assistant
Sales Support
International Business Support
Market Research
Software Consultant
Gambler
Sales

IMO, it's an interesting mix. Some of these changes have very interesting stories. For example; preacher, painter, Human Resources goes like this.

I moved back to Ohio from Oklahoma and visited a new church. The pastor and I hooked up right away, and he hired me to do all the music, youth groups, children's programs, periodic preaching etc. This is also where I met my wife. After a year working there, he was jogging one morning and got hit by a van and was killed. The church took on new "management" if you will, and that was the end of that one. Then, a friend in the church was a painter, so I started doing that. After about 5 months, I got in a car accident and threw out my back. I couldn't do much physical labor, so I looked for an office job. I went to a nearby factory to look for any office job. The HR manager is interveiwing me, and we're talking about previous employement. I told her 2 jobs ago I was an associate pastor at the church across the street. She immediately threw her pen in the air and screemed "you're hired". I was a bit speechless, and said "what am I going to do". She says, "you're going to be my assitant". Turns out she was working one Sunday and decided she would try going to church that day. She walked across the street, and I happened to be speaking that day. She loved the message and always remembered me. Three weeks later, she moves to Florida, and I'm the only person in HR in a 700 person plant...all I could do was type fast! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

HAHA...more than you were after, but I'm just chilling here tonight answering questions in this post.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:37 AM

Best of luck, and thanks for all you have contributed.

As a dad of 3 myself, my only advice is "man to man" no longer works, switch to zone defense.