Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2006, 01:11 AM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans, if you think about it.
Default Re: Define \"hooking up,\" and elaborate

when someone says they hooked up, i always assumed they were talking about butt sex.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
when someone says they hooked up, i always assumed they were talking about butt sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

has anyone ever told you that you're unfunny?
Old 03-14-2006, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
to dudes that pull, it means poking. to dudes that never pull, it means makin out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good answer. Also, I think there is an intermediate level of people who use "Fooled around" and "hooked up," but there is probably some overlap.

NT
Old 03-14-2006, 01:14 AM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans, if you think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

has anyone ever told you that you're unfunny?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:16 AM

Your friend is weird...I'd go so far as to say that if you hooked up with a girl, you did *not* have sex...maybe you rubbed stubbles but that's the max.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:35 AM

I've always understood the following terms to mean the following things:

Making out - prolonged french kissing, maybe some petting but no clothes coming off.

Fooling around - making out + some genital involvement, clothes start coming off. Still short of sex -- see Blue Balls Trip Report thread.

Hooking up - Ambiguous; could be used as a synonym for fooling around, or could also mean intercourse in a One Night Stand situation. Context dependent.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:55 AM

Hooking Up: The most useless term when talking about sexual encounters due to the fact that NOONE CAN AGREE ON A [censored] DEFINITION.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hooking Up: The most useless term when talking about sexual encounters due to the fact that NOONE CAN AGREE ON A [censored] DEFINITION.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's very useful for just that reason. it's meant to keep the encounter ambiguous. my theory is that guys don't want to violate girls' reputations and make them look like sluts--they want them to appear clean. because who likes to admit the girl they hooked up with was a [censored]? (the answer: only dudes who somehow feel they've been rejected later on.)

girls never have a problem with divulging every detail of their hookups, but it's uncommon (though not rare) for me to hear the details of my friends' encounters. I'm not sure if every guy looks at it this way but I think in our society it's the underlying reason for the popularity of the phrase.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:18 AM

If you came, you hooked up with the girl.

[ QUOTE ]
Fooling around - making out + some genital involvement, clothes start coming off. Still short of sex -- see Blue Balls Trip Report thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel proud.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's very useful for just that reason. it's meant to keep the encounter ambiguous. my theory is that guys don't want to violate girls' reputations and make them look like sluts--they want them to appear clean. because who likes to admit the girl they hooked up with was a [censored]? (the answer: only dudes who somehow feel they've been rejected later on.)

girls never have a problem with divulging every detail of their hookups, but it's uncommon (though not rare) for me to hear the details of my friends' encounters. I'm not sure if every guy looks at it this way but I think in our society it's the underlying reason for the popularity of the phrase.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think it so much worrying about the girls reputation as guys trying to make theirs grow. telling your friends I made out with a girl means you made out with her, telling your friends you hooked up could mean you just made out, but it could also mean you had lots of sex.