Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2006, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Giving up online poker because of parents (long)

[ QUOTE ]
stop being a "mama's boy" and just don't tell them. Go for it as long as it is within your means.

[/ QUOTE ]
I actually agree with that, but it also entails living with the consequence if they decide to cut off financial support for college.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:11 PM

having parents pay for post secondary education is so much +ev you probably dont even realize it.

normal, less fortunate people get to take out loans, and whether they fail or succeed in post secondary get reamed out by interest on those loans till probably the day they die (cause wow, people are just so bad with money.)

if your parents front the bill on the education, lick their balls for a few years. seriously. graduate, get a good job. then if you choose to, salute them with the middle finger. really though. think about it. free post secondary education for the small sacrifice of giving up online poker.

i mean dont give up poker entirely. just stop playing online, go play live once or twice a week and consider that your social interactions for the week.

i wish i could have given up everquest when my schooling was paid for. and i got nothing to hide about my highly addictive personality, you can only imagine what that + everquest can do to ones grades.

find a new hobby [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

i find things that dont involve computers or online activity to be great, but then again, i dont like being social all that much these days.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:27 PM

Just so we are clear the money that I play poker with comes from MY checking account that I earned from my job. What my parents pay for goes directly into the UT account for school (which I do not have access to). I am not playing with my parents money for school. I am playing with money that I have earned.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
THEY WOULD CUT ME OFF COMPLETELY

[/ QUOTE ] = BLUFF.

Reraise by telling them if you have to give up poker you will develop a crack habit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I was joking with the crack stuff. A more mature and balanced approach would be to tell them that if they cut you off then they can forget about access to thier grandchildren.

[/ QUOTE ]

or worse still, that they wont have any grandchildren.....or that ur gonna have kids with the toothy chick who supplies u with ur goods in pursuing ur habit in the first option above....

all in all, if u really think they will cut off the funds to u, give up playing and have a clear conscience OR never mention poker round them again and hope they dont either so u dont have to lie when u are still playing.....u could always try and soften the parent that always takes ur side so they can convince the other to let u play

its a parents job to worry bout their kids 24/7 so its really what kinda relationship u have with them that matters here.....do u wanna keep playing and tell lies or u wanna do what they say?

bottom line is even if they do cut u off, u can always become a crack addict or u can always maintain urself by selling crack to other kids at ur school.......
Old 03-06-2006, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just so we are clear the money that I play poker with comes from MY checking account that I earned from my job. What my parents pay for goes directly into the UT account for school (which I do not have access to). I am not playing with my parents money for school. I am playing with money that I have earned.

[/ QUOTE ]
gmack,

I understood that and stand by my recommendation. Lying to your parents is a bad long term strategy. Either tell them you are going to continue to play and live with the consequences or stop playing while they support your college expenses. The third choice of lying to them cannot be supported as a mature recommendation, particularly for the long haul. Now that the cat is out of the bag, you have to be honest with them whichever route you choose.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:34 PM

gmack...gimmick....maybe he's a clever dude, or maybe his name is greg mack.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem I see is he is taking there money for college then engaging in conduct they are prohibiting as a term of that support. I think mature long term advice is live with their requirement to keep getting the support or risk losing the support by continuing to play. Poker is a gamble in the short term and skill overrides luck in the long term. Good poker players look for long term results. Why should long term advice be insane?

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if he tells them he is continuing to play, he probably loses the financial support. Or he could stop playing and keep the support. Or he could learn to STFU about poker, maybe lie once (if they have no reasons to doubt him) and continue to have support. And if he gets caught, they are disappointed (as are all parents) and they stop sending money. So, this is the gamble...the odds of getting caught are slim...if he can deal with the penalty of losing, it sounds fair to me.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:42 PM

What about making a deal? They probably aren't so naive that they'll think you'll stop just because you tell them. Tell them that will cash out from your account so you're left with, say $500. Tell them you will never deposit more, and offer to show them monthly creditcard withdrawal lists if they want. Tell them that if you lose the $500, then you've learned your lesson and all is good. But if you continue to make money, then they'll have to acknowledge that you are in fact a winning player. If you still have their attention at this point, tell them all about bankroll management, how you (hopefully) play within these limits and why you won't bust out.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The problem I see is he is taking there money for college then engaging in conduct they are prohibiting as a term of that support. I think mature long term advice is live with their requirement to keep getting the support or risk losing the support by continuing to play. Poker is a gamble in the short term and skill overrides luck in the long term. Good poker players look for long term results. Why should long term advice be insane?

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if he tells them he is continuing to play, he probably loses the financial support. Or he could stop playing and keep the support. Or he could learn to STFU about poker, maybe lie once (if they have no reasons to doubt him) and continue to have support. And if he gets caught, they are disappointed (as are all parents) and they stop sending money. So, this is the gamble...the odds of getting caught are slim...if he can deal with the penalty of losing, it sounds fair to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are correct, "if he can deal with the penalty of losing" and it is his decision. I just cannot see telling someone who's parents are supporting him in college that lying to their parents is a good answer. STFU in the first place would have been better [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Dealing with the reality as it is now, I cannot encourage anyone to lie to their parents when it would appear their parents are both concerned and supporting. It really is a simple ethics test.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:13 PM

Take out your initial deposit. Play on your own winnings. Explain that to your parents. Tell them you will never use their money to play poker again. And then don't do it.

EDIT: did not read that this was always your money to begin with. My advice is the same as most of the posters. Don't lie to your parents. compromise