Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Re: 3bet fun- whats a good calling range here vs villains flop shove?

[ QUOTE ]
doubt I'd call KK very often though

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, need a goot read for that.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:25 PM

OK so I have ~1000 handsish on this guy who runs 25/15/2, no notes when this hand went down so he's not got out of line that I have seen to date so I am confident in my mcTAG read here.

I had not long sat at this table so I am not getting out of line here either (yet) and I hold AK. So obv I snap called.

I posted the hand this way to see the general consensus on what hands I ought to be calling with here I'm a little surprised at how tight that range is.

Clearly if I 3bet Ax and flop an Ace I'm committed - I've setup a hugely favourable Pot/Stacksize ratio so I don't mind stacking off to sets (calling preflop with a small pair and landing a set here is a HUGE FTOP mistake) - so the only set he can possibly have that makes sense that I'm behind to is AA. I can see two Aces so thats a little unlikely.

But what else can he hold? Axs that flopped Aces up maybe. An over played KK/QQ thats gambling that I don't have an Ace and will feel committed and call his push? Or a flat out bluff thats gambling I will fear he has AK and fold my JJ-KK.

Is it a big mistake here to call with any big pp I 3bet with? if his play suggests he has better than TPTK OR he has air - and the ONLY hands he could have here I think that beat TPTK are AA or Axs that flopped 2pair then doesn't this suggest he has air quite a lot?

If I had KK here I would probably have talked myself into a fold at the table putting Villain squarely on AA/AK/AQ, (probably with some cliche about "Ace magnets" thrown in somewhere for good measure.)

I guess I am wondering if this thinking is goot or whether I ought to widen my calling range here a little to take down pots where villain is making a move on me.
<font color="white">Villain held KQcc here FWIW</font>
Old 11-02-2007, 07:43 PM

I would probably call with AK+ on this specific board and fold everything else, honestly. There is no reason to think he's making a huge move here unless you've been squeezing a lot, have shown down a squeeze in this position, or have a generally bad image. He will have AK/AQ some % of the time, I guess. But to say that we should fold JJ-KK and call with AT is ridiculous, because villain is never doing this with a hand worse than AT but better than JJ, you know?

I would be more inclined to call light here if the board was more coordinated.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:45 PM

AA, AK, 55, 66, 56 (while crying). the fact that he flat called $2, then flat called $6.50 really makes me think he is on 55 or 66 a lot here, and since he's TAG i really don't know if many TAG players would play AQ like that.

now that i really look at it though i think you have to call here with probably A/10+ and even 34, 78, and 47. hell, probably 45, 56 and such also. amirite? you've invested ~$20 of your ~$50, after he shoves there is (adjusted for your stack size) ~$70 in the pot. so the pot is $70 to your $30 stack. yea, i really don't see how you fold A10+, an open ended, or something like 45 and 56 here.

i may be totally off though, that wasn't exactly scientific analysis.