Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Re: 100% most annoying thing about the Arod/Boras thing.

Gary,

Sure, you run it on the website. You don't however need to make it part of the WS post game coverage. Some of the media reaction was as if Boras had flown a plane with a banner saying "AROD IZ FREE" over Coors in the 9th inning.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:35 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dids,

I agree with you 100%. If anyone should be blamed for this, it should be ESPN/SI/Fox rather than ARod/Boras.

[/ QUOTE ]

the thing is if fox didn't report it and espn started to they would look bad as a media source

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Competition forced their collective hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't blame anybody. Fox did what was in its best interests, and ARod did what was in his.

[/ QUOTE ]

How was announcing it during game 4 in A-Rod's best interests? He had within anytime during the ten days after the World Series to do so. How does announcing it during Game 4 make anything different than announcing it the day after?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you being serious? You really can't see how making himself a focal point during one of the most watched segments of television in the past month was a good idea? It was marketing genius imo.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dids,

There is an entire thread on ARod opting out. That's where this stuff goes. Stop acting like you're more important than other posters.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you notice, Dids' name is green.

It'd be a real shame if his thoughts on this matter were lost.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gary,

Sure, you run it on the website. You don't however need to make it part of the WS post game coverage. Some of the media reaction was as if Boras had flown a plane with a banner saying "AROD IZ FREE" over Coors in the 9th inning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea because no one would ever switch to another channel to learn more about A-Rods opt out and miss the much awaited "post game coverage"! Face it, the producers ran what they thought the audience wanted to know, if a plane hit the white house or police were chasing a heisman winner, they would cover it. Dids, can you please list all the categories of news you would like censored during sports broadcasts, and please send it to ESPN. I"m sure they'll get right on it.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gary,

[/ QUOTE ]

alright you made a kinda of dumb post... made it worse by starting it's own thread... I point out why it is definately not the media's fault at all..... jus give it up
Old 10-30-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dids,

I agree with you 100%. If anyone should be blamed for this, it should be ESPN/SI/Fox rather than ARod/Boras.

[/ QUOTE ]

the thing is if fox didn't report it and espn started to they would look bad as a media source

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Competition forced their collective hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't blame anybody. Fox did what was in its best interests, and ARod did what was in his.

[/ QUOTE ]

How was announcing it during game 4 in A-Rod's best interests? He had within anytime during the ten days after the World Series to do so. How does announcing it during Game 4 make anything different than announcing it the day after?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you being serious? You really can't see how making himself a focal point during one of the most watched segments of television in the past month was a good idea? It was marketing genius imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'm being serious. How does that get him any additional team in the bidding? How does that get him even one more dollar in his ultimate contract? Yes, it made him the center of public attention, but it changes nothing in negotiation with the few interested clubs that can afford him, and thus carrying the announcement forward achieves nothing substantive, and only serves to make him look like a douche in the public's eye, or look like some kind of baller, depending on your perspective. But it does not affect the timing or the size of his next contract one bit. Free agents aren't even allowed to negotiate with other teams yet.

If I'm missing something here, where announcing it during Game 4, actually changes anything substantive, that announcing it yesterday would not have changed, I'm not seeing it. This isn't about commercial endorsements or picking up fans, it's about negotiating a contract with a club, and "marketing genius", as you put it, isn't in play here.
Closed Thread