Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Ron Paul was the only presidential candidate to come out for the P

[ QUOTE ]
For every sensible thing he says, he says two crazy things. His supporters are nutbags, racists, xenophobes, junkies, and loonies. Its like the old school Libertarians have discovered the Internet and we have to see them now. Everything is not a conspiracy. I listened, I went to two meet-ups. Jesus, these people want to own machine-guns, grow opium, not pay taxes, and kick out anyone not straight and white from the country. Every other RP email I get is about going to the next gunshow. Not one peep out of RP to stop hate speech and insane behavior from his supporters at all kinds of public functions. Rip apart every existing institution because James Madison neglected to mention it.
Im all for limited government, principled leaders, and sound non-interventionist foreign policy. But, you have to live in this world and govern the government we have. The man isn't up to it, never was, and never will be. He is a country doctor who doesn't like how the country is going with a sunny disposition. That in no way means he deserves support to run the country. I'd vote for Hillary first and I cried the first time I had to vote for a Democrat for governor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to show your extreme ignorance. Well done
Old 10-30-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For every sensible thing he says, he says two crazy things. His supporters are nutbags, racists, xenophobes, junkies, and loonies. Its like the old school Libertarians have discovered the Internet and we have to see them now. Everything is not a conspiracy. I listened, I went to two meet-ups. Jesus, these people want to own machine-guns, grow opium, not pay taxes, and kick out anyone not straight and white from the country. Every other RP email I get is about going to the next gunshow. Not one peep out of RP to stop hate speech and insane behavior from his supporters at all kinds of public functions. Rip apart every existing institution because James Madison neglected to mention it.
Im all for limited government, principled leaders, and sound non-interventionist foreign policy. But, you have to live in this world and govern the government we have. The man isn't up to it, never was, and never will be. He is a country doctor who doesn't like how the country is going with a sunny disposition. That in no way means he deserves support to run the country. I'd vote for Hillary first and I cried the first time I had to vote for a Democrat for governor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, then vote for Hillary. Her track record seems to indicate a propensity for limited government and principaled governing. LOLOLOLOLOL. What were you saying about nutbags and loonies?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:22 PM

Youre blind, illogical, or just spamtrolling like the rest of RP's people.

-He calls himself a freedom candidate, but he won't let gays serve in the military.

-He is SO smart he professes to not believe in evolution.(When asked at Republican Debate to raise hands who did, no one did)

-Abolish the Federal Reserve. I can put up with some social bigotry, but fiscal irresponsibility. Gold standard? Give the country to China and not even ask for some poisonous toys in return. You can't get around that anyway you spin RP the loon. You say constitution, responsibility, small government, or whatever you want. Thats just plain nuts. Stupid. Ranks lower than the political cant from Hollywood Stars. Everytime someone who lives in the real world thinks of supporting him, he says that utter garbage. Is he going to set interest rates from the Oval Office? Dig up gold to pay off our debt under the Rose Garden? Just give me an answer besides its unconstitutional or there is a conspiracy
when I ask you why he wants to destroy the modern economy. Please. Maybe you think their evil institutions but 95% of America tunes out when he launches into that rant.

Not once in any group respond email from the RP meetup sites has ANYONE once confronted an anti-gay or anti-Mexican remarkm and there have been plenty. People are on it who have said despicable things trying to run for local office as REpublicans or Libertarians.
This is why the mainstream media is sick and tired of Ron Paul. Every criticism, and most are legit criticisms, is met with insults, wisecracks and refusals to answer. Facts and realities don't mean anything to him or his campaign. You can only say things are "bad" policy or "unconstitutional" for so long without answering how you will fill the void when you eliminate all these institutions and treaties.

Maybe you don't grasp it, but there is an audeince out there for a lot of the principles he espouses, but they turn a deaf ear because he sounds like a lunatic. He surrounds himself with them. Its always listen to him, just listen, well I [censored] listened and Im sick of what I hear. Have fun giving him money and time, but please don't pretend this is in any way a serious attempt to govern this country. All the issues you want addressed from the war on drugs to poker to small government are going to be laughed at if RP is your frontman. Im waiting anxiously for the day a real, serious, COMPETENT Libertarian candidate shows up, not latching onto the next in a procession of fools.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:33 PM

Well put legislurker. I'm a pot-smoking poker-playing republican, and RP doesn't have my vote even if he's the republican nominee.

He seems to have this idea that a super-strict interpretation (HIS super-strict interpretation, no less!) should trump common sense.

His logic and reasoning skills are suspect. He rejects evolution. He is a medical doctor and wants health plans to be forced to cover "alternative medicine". "Alternative medicine" is anything that can't be shown to be 1) safe and 2) effective, but he wants to force your health premiums through the roof (compared to already through-the-roof premiums) so that gullible people don't have to use their own money to pay for acupucture, touch therapy, homeopathic treatments, and magic potions.

And yes, he is quite intolerant, even by conservative standards. I would go so far as to say he is the most bigoted of the candidates based on what I've heard.

But worst of all is his idea of abolishing the federal reserve. It takes more effort than most are willing to put forth to understand the vital function of the federal reserve in our economy. For those who take the time to understand it, the prospect of someone like Ron Paul becoming president is truly scary.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well put legislurker. I'm a pot-smoking poker-playing republican, and RP doesn't have my vote even if he's the republican nominee.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took my last bong hit decades ago, but otherwise we seem somewhat similar.

[ QUOTE ]
He seems to have this idea that a super-strict interpretation (HIS super-strict interpretation, no less!) should trump common sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

With you so far.

[ QUOTE ]
His logic and reasoning skills are suspect. He rejects evolution. He is a medical doctor and wants health plans to be forced to cover "alternative medicine". "Alternative medicine" is anything that can't be shown to be 1) safe and 2) effective, but he wants to force your health premiums through the roof (compared to already through-the-roof premiums) so that gullible people don't have to use their own money to pay for acupucture, touch therapy, homeopathic treatments, and magic potions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Modern medicine let alone western medicine doesn't have even 1/2 the answers and many surgical and chemical cures are much more expensive than treatments that have been known for thousands of years.

[ QUOTE ]
And yes, he is quite intolerant, even by conservative standards. I would go so far as to say he is the most bigoted of the candidates based on what I've heard.

But worst of all is his idea of abolishing the federal reserve. It takes more effort than most are willing to put forth to understand the vital function of the federal reserve in our economy. For those who take the time to understand it, the prospect of someone like Ron Paul becoming president is truly scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

You get an A+ for the economics. Ron Paul is a complete idiot here.

D$D
Old 10-30-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-He is SO smart he professes to not believe in evolution.(When asked at Republican Debate to raise hands who did, no one did)

[/ QUOTE ]

Source for this? From my recollection the question was, "Who does not believe in evolution?" and Ron Paul did not raise his hand.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Modern medicine let alone western medicine doesn't have even 1/2 the answers and many surgical and chemical cures are much more expensive than treatments that have been known for thousands of years.

[/ QUOTE ]
Two big issues here. (Not trying to be argumentative here, this is just a pet issue of mine, I've seen too many people swindled by "alternative medicine" hucksters)

First, insurance shouldn't be forced to pay for treatments that don't work. Alternative medicine is alternative because it hasn't been demonstrated to be safe and effective. Regardless of whether "western medicine" has an answer or not, the rest of us shouldn't be forced to pay for it if it can't be shown to be safe and effective.

Second, having an answer isn't the same as having a correct answer. Likewise having an old answer isn't the same either. Treatments that work will stand up to medical and scientific scrutiny, the rest will remain "alternative" medicine.

Eastern medicine did get a few things right, but they didn't have the benefit of a science-based approach that would help distinguish between what works and what doesn't. So much of the eastern "answers" are patently absurd, but were and are readily accepted. An "answer" should be treated more skeptically if it's old, because it is more likely to have its roots in superstition.

There are very few treatments that are thousands of years old, but are more safe or effective than the modern science-based medical alternatives. The only one I'm aware of is marijuana.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Source for this? From my recollection the question was, "Who does not believe in evolution?" and Ron Paul did not raise his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1829951/posts

scroll down to reply 12 I think it is. I watched the debate but thought Id backcheck it to be sure. Person says his staff conrimed he doesn't believe in evoltuion. For someone to take enough science to be a doctor and to just "believe" the fossil record is false is absurd. Does the Theory of Evolution have holes? Yeah. Do I have questions about it Id liek answered? Yes. But I don't think anyone can argue that evoltuion occured, that natural selection goes on, and that the Earth is really [censored] old. For someone to want to be Prez and say that is disgusting to the nth power. RP held his head down during the question like he was debating how to answer. Take that how you like it. Maybe he wants to disband science too because it isnt in the Constitution.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:38 PM

I don't know what you're getting all worked up about. From the thread you linked (post#18):

After seeing the clip after asking “who does not believe in evolution.” I shot off this email to the Ron Paul campaign:

On 5/4/07, Ron Shank wrote:

Dear Ron Paul team:

Does Ron Paul believe in evolution? I didn’t see his hand raised in the debate when asked “who does not believe in evolution.”

Thanks for your quick reply.

Thank you,

Ron Shank

They quickly replied.

——– Original Message ——–
Subject: Re: Didn’t see his hand
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 16:15:06 -0400
To: Ron Shank

Ron,

Ron Paul did not raise his hand during that question, it was Tancredo, Huckabee & Brownback who raised their hands. Dr. Paul is physician and believes in evolution.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:20 AM

I see a lot of distortions of Rep. Paul's positions here. True, not everyone embraces the idea of a smaller federal government. I personally happen to like him. Others don't. Both are certainly valid opinions.