Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 01:15 AM

Default Re: San Diego in an AC world

[ QUOTE ]
A private FF business is more profitable when you actually fight fires. If there was minimal risk of fire because of preventitive measures there subscription rates and prices plummet. If profit is the motive prevention efforts are made by companies other than FF companies...and those already exist in the private sector.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you assume that FFing would be a separate company from fire prevention? It seems to me that it would be smart for the business to include both in some sort of insurance type policy.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The government creates forest fires with it's ridiculous forest management policy of not cleaning out the underbrush which turns national forests into tinder boxes. Private forest owners don't engage in the same practices and don't have the same forest fire problem. I haven't heard anyone dispute this in a long time so your claim that it is ridiculous comes as a bit of a surprise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the govt. runs controlled burns in public forrests. At least here in Florida I think they do.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:49 AM

You dont know wtf youre talking about, thats who [ QUOTE ]
1. I've read two different articles that stated the firefighters wasted hours convincing people to evacuate who didn't want to leave their homes rather than fighting fires. The number 1 google search article says exactly this. http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-7016572,00.html <font color="red"> the guardian, lol, great source. I own property in an evacuation area, idiot. The claim that time was wasted is ridiculous. </font>

2. read article above <font color="red">I dont need to, I lived through it. </font>

3. People would buy insurance either from an intermediary such as an insurance companies or directly from fire prevention/fighting agencies whereby the company would agree to reimburse the customer for items lost in a fire. <font color="red">wow, brilliant solution, that could never happen under statism. </font> Therefore the market would create a greater incentive for fire prevention than currently exists. <font color="red">wrong, its exactly the incentive that currently exists </font> If fire fighting companies don't prevent fires they either lose their customers or go broke depending on how the market would work. <font color="red">no, they go broke when they have no fires to fight </font> With our current setup if there are more fires, government fire fighting agencies get more funding. <font color="red"> if there are more fires, private FF companies get more customers. Government funding is so difficult to come by that it bears no relation to number of fires. this is no more than conspiracy theory stupidity </font>
4. The government creates forest fires with it's ridiculous forest management policy of not cleaning out the underbrush which turns national forests into tinder boxes. Private forest owners don't engage in the same practices and don't have the same forest fire problem. I haven't heard anyone dispute this in a long time so your claim that it is ridiculous comes as a bit of a surprise. <font color="red"> move to San Diego county and you'll now this is nonsense </font>

Who doesn't know wtf they are talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Youre an idiot.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:27 AM

Copernicus,

1. Please explain why you feel the Guardian is not a reliable news source?

2. How does the fact that you "own property in an evacuation area, idiot" lend any credibility to your argument?

3. Why would an insurance company voluntarily provide fire prevention services when they can have the government do the same thing at no cost to them? And why would residents of SoCal buy adequate fire insurance if they know the government will just bail them out (I know you live there, but plz to be reading this link). You're wrong, the market incentives currently in place are not at all like those we would see in AC-land.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So San Siego is under some significant stress ATM and Goverment is providing a substantial response. How 'bout the AC'ers on here tell us how much this situation would be better for us in an AC world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Elliot,

How 'bout you tell me why I should be forced at gunpoint to provide somone in San Diego with a service that they want.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find questions like these annoying. ...

Are you asking for a definitive answer or are you just looking for what people think fire protection *might* be like in AC world? There is no definitive answer. I would guess that there is a good chance that fire protection would look vastly different than how it does in our society.

[/ QUOTE ]

People often find AC discussions annoying.

I am just looking for feedback from AC proponents supporting their views. It seems to me that times like these are times when people are most conscious of Government services (for good or ill), and thus it seems to me that ACers seeking to change people's minds should be ready to deploy their very best arguments in support of AC.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So San Siego is under some significant stress ATM and Goverment is providing a substantial response. How 'bout the AC'ers on here tell us how much this situation would be better for us in an AC world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Elliot,

How 'bout you tell me why I should be forced at gunpoint to provide somone in San Diego with a service that they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure: because it's the law. Now it's your turn.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Elliot,

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure: because it's the law. Now it's your turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I presume you would have been pro slavery when that was the law right? I presume you are pro three strikes rule for cannabis offences because that is the law right? I presume you are also pro death penalty right?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Elliot,

[/ QUOTE ]

How about you tell us why we shouldn't force you to?

"mine mine mine mine mine" is all well and good, but it does not make me want to live in your society or vote for your candidates. Like it or not, the status quo is "government". So, if you want to change it, even if it seems unfair, the onus is on you.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Elliot,

[/ QUOTE ]

How about you tell us why we shouldn't force you to?

"mine mine mine mine mine" is all well and good,

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, who are you hypothetically quoting there? Yourself? Because when you champion policies of forcing people to fund your projects, that's what you're saying to them. "mine mine mine, gimme that money."

[ QUOTE ]
but it does not make me want to live in your society

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody is asking you to live in their society.

[ QUOTE ]
or vote for your candidates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody is asking you to do that, either.

[ QUOTE ]
Like it or not, the status quo is "government". So, if you want to change it, even if it seems unfair, the onus is on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might makes right! It never gets old!