Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What next?
Play live. You should play at the highest level you have the skill and roll for, and what you learn in live play will serve you well in the future. 1 12.50%
Get PokerTracker already! If you're serious about improving you LHE game this is the fastest and best way. You'll make back your investment anyway, so don't sweat it. 4 50.00%
What the heck are you doing still playing min-bet poker?!? Make the move to NL now, join the fun, and reap the rewards. 0 0%
You suck at poker and at life. Quit now. 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2007, 11:03 PM

Default Re: God and poker

Aren't most of the hyper intelligent players agnostic?

Lederer, Sklansky etc. ???
Old 10-25-2007, 05:06 AM

you can't argue with science.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If there was something powerful enough to be a "god" I just find it really LOL that he would be so selfish and egotistic to demand prayers and random rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought like this back when I believed in god. I remember bringing it up in a youth group discussion. The responses I got were patently absurd ranging from "What makes you think YOU can understand god's plan?" to "He just does."

A truly benevolent god would not bestow free will upon his creations only to have them ignore their wants and desires to satisfy his wishes.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But I can't resist the urge to call someone silly for believing that God gives a damn about a poker game.

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe in god and i agree w/this. jerry yang was really getting on my nerves w/his prayers to god for his hands to hold up/suckout.

[/ QUOTE ]

can't help but agree strongly...

the time to pray to God is BEFORE you make decisions!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2007, 12:12 PM

It's pretty simple really. As far as being a good Christian goes, you shouldn't prey on the weak and the sick - which is pretty much what poker involves. And it has no redeeming qualities, such as the creation and efficient distribution of wealth that the stock market has.

You can tapdance around it all you like, but Christian ideals and playing online poker for a living are completely incompatible.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's pretty simple really. As far as being a good Christian goes, you shouldn't prey on the weak and the sick - which is pretty much what poker involves. And it has no redeeming qualities, such as the creation and efficient distribution of wealth that the stock market has.

You can tapdance around it all you like, but Christian ideals and playing online poker for a living are completely incompatible.

[/ QUOTE ]

poker is preying on the weak and the sick?!
i guess you're referring to gambling addicts?

i wouldn't say they are "completely incompatible".
Didn't Jerry Yang and Tran both say they were going
to do philanthropic work with the money they won?

besides -- at least 2 very staunch Christians made
the final table at WSOP 2007... maybe God isn't as
uptight as you think He is.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i've never been able to appreciate this sort of argument b/c poker is just a game.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To play full time, there has to be a certain amount of addiction to gambling.