Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Racism on the forum... is it necessary...

[ QUOTE ]
A few months ago at the request of some other posters, holyfield started an Ask a Black Dude thread. People made a bunch of childish fried chicken/ watermelon/ penis jokes with no consequences. holyfield hasn't posted on 2p2 in months. Gary Stevenson said in a thread somewhere (it might have been holyfield's thread) that he avoids mentioning on 2p2 that he's half black, because he knows that people here will make jokes about it. vavavoom is another one of the handful of black posters that 2p2 has, and when he raises this issue in a serious forum, you guys make a bunch of snide remarks about him being too sensitive. (Disregard this last sentence if Vavavoom is in fact, not black... but I remember someone saying something about him being black at some point.) As much as you guys say "oh you're tough you can take it, suck it up man," racism is something that discourages black posters from posting here.

[/ QUOTE ]

the ask a black dude thread was an incredibly stupid idea. What did he think was going to happen? People asking what he thought of human rights violations in Myanmar?

I don't start an ask a jew thread and then get shocked when people post polish/hitler/deathcamp jokes/etc.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:26 PM

I kinda doubt that jokes about Hitler and deathcamps would fly over here, certainly not for long. I've seen even minor jokes made at the expense of jewish people get leaped upon immediately and with a fury. At the same time I've seen pretty bad stuff about blacks get both passed by and even defended too many times to count. Incidentally, by the very same people who get outraged and in a big moral tizzy at the jewish stuff.

I'm neither black nor jewish, and have a stake in neither one being treated better or worse. But as an outsider with no real stake, the inconsistency has been very apparent.

Re: Holyfield, he seemed pretty open about it at the time. I'm not sure the responses to his thread drove him away. But they did serve as an object lesson for anyone considering "admitting" he was black on these boards again.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I kinda doubt that jokes about Hitler and deathcamps would fly over here, certainly not for long. I've seen even minor jokes made at the expense of jewish people get leaped upon immediately and with a fury. At the same time I've seen pretty bad stuff about blacks get both passed by and even defended too many times to count. Incidentally, by the very same people who get outraged and in a big moral tizzy at the jewish stuff.

I'm neither black nor jewish, and have a stake in neither one being treated better or worse. But as an outsider with no real stake, the inconsistency has been very apparent.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've noticed this too. i was going to follow this with an awesome joke about how since jews have money they can afford to be online while black people are stuck trying to connect to aol dialup, but i thought better of it...
Old 10-19-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i've noticed this too. i was going to follow this with an awesome joke about how since jews have money they can afford to be online while black people are stuck trying to connect to aol dialup, but i thought better of it...

[/ QUOTE ]

2+2 has always had this double standard.

The owners of 2+2 are Jewish, its their site and their rules; plus poker in general doesnt have a large number of black men and women in general - this is relected by the site which demonstrates regularly a group personality of racism and sexism.

The politics forum is a good example - where there has always been regular racism directed at Muslims (how many Muslims post on 2+2? Id take the under on 10) but when people started threads about Israel the forum was closed until the Israel-Lebanon war was finished and Israel was done bombing Red Cross ambulances.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Re: Holyfield, he seemed pretty open about it at the time. I'm not sure the responses to his thread drove him away. But they did serve as an object lesson for anyone considering "admitting" he was black on these boards again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those jew jokes definitely would not fly in the forum he posted in (bbv4l) but neither did the jokes from the thread (I believe cit or I locked it and sent to the mod forum and punished the main offenders)
Old 10-19-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
racism directed at Muslims

[/ QUOTE ]
But that's allowed in the US now because of the Homeland Security Act, right?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:08 PM

I think it's mandatory. But only when Muslims become a race.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen Chad's 'Pstars f'king Arab crooks' comment being repeated as a joke on his stupidity/ignorance. I think however that the offensiveness of this comment outweighs it's entertainment value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have removed this when i've seen it or it has been reported, ask btys who kept posting his picture and got tempbanned for it

[/ QUOTE ]

total rigged bs too, imo
Old 10-20-2007, 02:01 AM

Ok, turns out..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/[censored]

..that '[censored]' simply means black. It comes from the latin 'nigrum' which is the accusative form of 'niger'.

ac·cu·sa·tive
–adjective
1. Grammar.
a. (in certain inflected languages, as Latin, Greek, or Russian) noting a case whose distinctive function is to indicate the direct object of a verb or the object of certain prepositions.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/accusative

So people who try to use it in a purposefully derogative manner are quite dumb. It is merely stating a fact. If you take offense when people do something like that then I think you're not seeing how dumb those people are.

edit: ugh; the word gets censored..
Old 10-20-2007, 03:37 AM

Ghhhhhhhhhh that's like the biggest softball EVER
Closed Thread