Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:01 AM

Default Re: I\'m in trouble

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
True. But how do they even know I was doing offshore gambling? That's why I was so shocked. This is the State tax commission no less. How in the world are they finding this stuff out?

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you get money on to and off of sites??????? What where you gambling on????? Were you a "winner" and if yes how much and over how many years????

There is so much info left out to get a picture of your situation..

[/ QUOTE ]

This is from the tax commission not the FBI so your most likely not in any criminal trouble outside of tax evasion. Like the previous post states I would ask yourself how much have I won? Lost? Over how long? Am I involved in any other cash income business other then poker that I haven't reported? Neteller?
Most likely you owe taxes that you haven't paid and will owe money and penalties.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:37 AM

YOU MUST TALK TO YOUR OWN (UTAH) LAWYER. NO IFS ABOUT IT.

You would be a fool to disclose enough information on here to let anyone give you real advice, even if that advice could be trusted.

As the inquiry comes from a tax department, that is a clue as to what they think you did. Since you say "criminal" in your OP you are probably looking at tax evasion charges of some kind. Not good, but not the end of the world.

The wire act does not make a criminal out of the bettor, only the one running the operation. Illegal gambling (other than as an operator of a gamblng business), even if they charge you with it in Utah, is hardly a major offense.

Dont panic. Hire a lawyer and have the lawyer contact the investigators. If you hear from the investigators first, tell them you would like to cooperate, but not until you have obtained legal counsel first - they must respect that. Maybe its best for you to talk, maybe not, only your own lawyer can advise you on that.

Any other advice you get on here, ignore.

Skallagrim
Old 10-16-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The state tax commission has a criminal investigation going on me. They have not told me all of the details, but I have found out that involves offshore gambling. How in the hell did they find out that I am involved in offshore gambling I have no clue at all. This investigator wants me to come in and talk to him and tell him "my side of the story." I live in Utah. This is pretty scary stuff and who knows what's going to happen. I'll let you know unless they throw me in jail before I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

PM me.

I am not a lawyer but I've read the law.

I might be able to help in your defense.

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn. Sorry I could not resist.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Advice from a real attorney

Get yourself a criminal attorney where you live, NOW. If you can find one who handles criminal state tax matters, that is preferable. Do NOT go to that interview without legal counsel.

"I have found out that involves offshore gambling". How ? What else did YOU tell them already ?

Now, how and what could they know ?

1. They likely are fishing a bit from the tax side. They have two possible sources of information about financial transactions.

a. Most likely, you used a credit card at some online gambling site which was processed through a company that was indicted in Salt Lake City. along with BetUS. That would yield deposits information, which is a lot different than any "win" information. It is possibly, though less likely, given that you are in Utah, that this traces back to Neteller. My gut feeling is that it is related, if anything, to the BetUS indictments.

b. Someone who knows you ratted you out.

2. Ask your legal counsel what your legal obligations are for this interview. Did they ask you for records ? Is there a subpoena served ? You need to know what your rights are, really.

(I am going back on hiatus, good luck.)
Old 10-16-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Advice from a real attorney

I live in Utah, and I can give you some suggestions I hope will be helpful.

As stated by another poster above, this is probably related to the bust earlier this year of a handful of people who were helping get funds to/from offshore gaming sites. They most likely have your name from some list they seized... and nothing more. Until you talk to them, that is.

I've had a lot of dealings with the Utah State Tax Commission, and they're a lot worse than the IRS. Anything you say will be printed on a baseball bat, which will then be used to break your legs. You should never speak to anyone there, all communication should go through your lawyer. They're counting on you to screw up, which you will do if you do any of your own talking.

Seriously, get a lawyer and don't talk to the state. Not a single word.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The state tax commission has a criminal investigation going on me. They have not told me all of the details, but I have found out that involves offshore gambling. How in the hell did they find out that I am involved in offshore gambling I have no clue at all. This investigator wants me to come in and talk to him and tell him "my side of the story." I live in Utah. This is pretty scary stuff and who knows what's going to happen. I'll let you know unless they throw me in jail before I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

PM me.

I am not a lawyer but I've read the law.

I might be able to help in your defense.

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

Scary. Please find a real, good lawyer OP and ignore D$D's request.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explanation: Free advice is good and D$D has proven himself to be knowledgeable in law here.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:26 PM

Don't go talk to any of these investigators voluntarily. Nothing good can come of it. If they have enough on you on to charge you, you're not going talk your way out of it (outside of becomming an informant of some sort). If they don't have enough to charge you, you don't want to give them any additional information whatsoever. Whether they have enough to charge you with something or not, they're going to play it like they do (even if you have a lawyer with you).

Tell the investigator that the only place you'll be telling "your side of the story" is in a court, so they can either charge you if they have one, or subpoena you for grand jury testimony. Otherwise, you have absolutely nothing to say to them about any matter whatsoever. This should ward them off if they're just fishing, and if you do have a real problem, you'll learn it's true extent more clearly and quickly.

Don't go in there and let them play their games with you. Interrogation is a major part of these peoples' jobs, and they'll lie to you, exagerate things, and basically play any trick they can think of to get you to incriminate yourself and cooperate with their investigation.

Only deal with them in a courtroom setting where they are legally required to be honest and can't pull their usual bullsht.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:27 PM

I was a criminal defense attorney in Manhattan for 8 years before deciding to play poker full time earlier this year. You definitely need to get an attorney, and do not speak to anyone else other than an attorney about the situation, period. Certainly don't send emails or PMs.

This is a directory of criminal defense lawyers in Utah who are members of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers ["NACDL"]:

http://www.nacdl.org/publicdirectory.nsf...p;SearchOrder=4

The only one I know by reputation is Fred Metos, I think he's regarded as one of the best in Utah, I'm sure he's extremely expensive.

If you want to talk to me about it (which would be covered by attorney/client privilege), send me a PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you want to talk to me about it (which would be covered by attorney/client privilege), send me a PM.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said!!!

I can't offer the same deal, all I had was a few novel defense strategies to run past your lawyer, there is a really top notch poker lawyer who used to be the regional DOJ guy who now works for a top notch private firm, but he's $500 an hour if you can get him on the phone.

Hire local representation and then if you need it add to your "dream team", and if the talent is needed I can provide his phone number in a PM.

I have no idea how much you might be on the hook for, or if it is even worth a call to a $500 an hour lawyer.

But don't mess with taxes, that's what got Capone....

As my 12 y.o. daughter says "good luck with that....."

D$D
Old 10-16-2007, 11:57 PM

I am a practicing criminal defense lawyer with 22 years experience who has tried hundreds of cases ranging from speeding to murder. I am not a lawyer in Utah. I would not give you specific advice and you should accept none from here EXCEPT TO GET A LAWYER IN UTAH! Beleive me, knowing the local players and customs is key in situations like yours. The only other worthwhile bit of advice here is the link to NACDL (I am a member), if you otherwise dont know who to call.

Skallagrim

OK, maybe D$D's guy is a good call too, if you can afford him.

Dont do anything till you have a lawyer. Period.
Closed Thread