Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Does is bother you that other people are much smarter than yourself?

I guess I could be bothered if I ever met someone way smarter than me - I haven't.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Does is bother you that other people are much smarter than yourself?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but at least I'm not australian this week

[/ QUOTE ]
If I had a DS-type list you'd have dropped a whole bunch of places just then... [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
sorry mate. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Have you noticed Snowballs avatar grinning at you?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Does is bother you that other people are much smarter than yoursel

[ QUOTE ]
What bothers me more is that so many people are less intelligent than I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here
Old 10-08-2007, 12:05 PM

I'm was and am into cars, it is a passion of mine and I've met a few frightfully intelligent auto mechanics with extreme ability to think and problemsolve in 3d space, invent new solutions and great intuitive understanding of forces/physics. To make some claim that someone can learn their skillset in a few months simply on the basis of previously having mastered some theoretic field strikes me as simply untrue.

I've met fine scientific minds almost uncapable of boiling an egg.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:16 PM

I think a lot of the time people tend to look a lot smarter then they really are. A few of my friends consider me to be a genious because I'm a mathematics student and can always help them with their homework, but I cringe at being called that because I know its not true. Same thing with the guy in your classes that always answears the professor and points out mistakes. If you start talking to them outside of class you usually realize that they were exposed to the subject before and they're really not much smarter then you. I think people tend to try to look as intelligent as possible to the outside perceivers, and a lot of the time they do that well. Certainly there are people smarter then me, but I think some of them may consider me to be one of the people smarter then them. So all in all it doesn't bother me too much. I am much more proud of the talents I have acquired through hard work then through genetics; and the further I go in mathematics for example the more I realize that the really talented people are the really hard workers.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:47 PM

Dbblbrrlj made some nice points...I used to think intelligence was something to be admired but the older I get the more I appreciate nice...what DS said about utilizing others gifts is true, but there are certainly almost as many misuses of gifts as their are reasonable uses of them in this world...we unfortunately have both our Bill Gateses and our Hitlers...

There is just so much intelligence that is not measurable in this world...The ancient Indian intellectuals and founders of Yoga said that intuition is the highest form of intelligence:Just knowing something is smarter than striving to know things...Besides so many of the true discoveries in this world are made by accident...it was only intelligent observation that was able to identify the implications of the "accident" as in the recent discovery by Kanzius that saltwater could be an alternate energy source...
Old 10-08-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dbblbrrlj made some nice points...I used to think intelligence was something to be admired but the older I get the more I appreciate nice...what DS said about utilizing others gifts is true, but there are certainly almost as many misuses of gifts as their are reasonable uses of them in this world...we unfortunately have both our Bill Gateses and our Hitlers...

There is just so much intelligence that is not measurable in this world...The ancient Indian intellectuals and founders of Yoga said that intuition is the highest form of intelligence:Just knowing something is smarter than striving to know things...Besides so many of the true discoveries in this world are made by accident...it was only intelligent observation that was able to identify the implications of the "accident" as in the recent discovery by Kanzius that saltwater could be an alternate energy source...

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2007, 01:02 PM

No. I envy greatly people with endless motivation and strong discipline. An average person with those qualities can travel very far.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What bothers me more is that 95% of people are less intelligent than George W. Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-08-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not really, mostly I get bothered when the dumber people have better results/ are more succesful than I.

[/ QUOTE ]