Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 06:32 AM

Default Re: Dealing with intense anger

Also, def get a job. If your roll is $500 right now, and you have to pay rent out of it, then you are going to be insaaaaanely stressed out. In fact I would imagine most of the rage isn't really rage at all but rather just stress being let out. That's going to happen when you're freaked out about where you're going to sleep next month.

Get a job, grind a while, and give it another shot when you've got a decent enough roll to live okay. I've lived on a really tight roll before, and also when I've had plenty of cash, and the latter is >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;> (times like a billion) the former.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:48 AM

1) part-time work might be a nice balance.

2) quite seriously, the job i learned the most from in a short period of time was door-to-door cold calling selling of a phone product. i did this immediately after year 12.

it was part of the "cobra group" and is international. it is structured a lot like a pyramid scheme, but involves selling... and is also very focused on promoting a good attitude.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have run far worse than you in the past month and a 1/2 (approx 100 sng downswing at the 33s and 55s). For me to get over it, I just played a lot more and moved down, posted on 2+2 and talked more about poker and that got my confidence up. If you know you're doing the right plays (+ev) eventually things will stabilize.

Also, drinking helps too (not while playing tho).

Play a fun non-holdem cash game like omaha or something, that's good for me too.

[/ QUOTE ]
what you moved down did i read this right???!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

jk I took your advice to play some 11s. I played 103 11s over 2 days and am up $20 ship a $4 hourly. I also had my friend stake me temporarily (for 1/2 my buyins so if I run bad again at 33s/55s it won't be as painful). Expect to see me a bunch next week at the 22s as well lol.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:46 PM

Sober,

Exercise, seriously you think better and feel better.

B
Old 10-06-2007, 01:49 PM

havent read any other replies but this seems really simple to me, get over it. you click a mouse for money, and you set your own hours. You prob make more than most ppl your age (just guessing a/b your age b/c you said $900 per month was enough to live) doing it. Working out might help, but basically if you cant get over the swings you cant play poker for a living no matter how good you are.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
havent read any other replies but this seems really simple to me, get over it. you click a mouse for money, and you set your own hours. You prob make more than most ppl your age (just guessing a/b your age b/c you said $900 per month was enough to live) doing it. Working out might help, but basically if you cant get over the swings you cant play poker for a living no matter how good you are.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-06-2007, 04:59 PM

I do work out, and have lost a good 30 lbs in the last six weeks or so. This makes me feel like a gangsta, and makes me more confident with the ladies/in general. I'm 22. I've never smoked pot, but Sammykid and I were drinking last night and seriously talked about the possibility of finding an equilibrium of being high enough to stay mellow/not being too high to do icm at 12 tables. I seriously doubt I'll try this.

Anyway, I'm going to go get a new mouse now. I've found the Microsoft Optical Comfort 3000 to be surprisingly durable. I've only broken 3 or 4 of them, and they're only $30. Good deal if you ask me.

I know I should get a job. Thing is, I'm such a [censored] employee. I can't show up on time, I'm lazy as hell, and I argue with my bosses about their decisions. The only things I've found that I'm able to put time into are poker and music. Getting the band playing 2+ nights/week again would solve a lot of problems.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:25 PM

1. get something to throw that is soft.
2. if you are freaking out, just quit for a while, go workout
3. hit yourself....this sounds dumb but if you punch your hand a lot as hard as you can, not much really happens and your anger gets released and you move on. It also hurts and reminds you how stupid you are acting.

i used to break stuff, it is just stupid. it isn't worth it and i notice a few hours later i am thinking about what a retard i am.

on some level, you have to realize you are +EV every single time you play, regardless of your current streak. the reason you lose 80/20s is the same reason why you are able to make money.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:50 PM

I know this feeling all too well. I have been living off of poker for 2 years on a small bankroll, much of the time on SNG's under 60s. I have played cash games for months at a time without touching SNG's, and trust me it is FAR less maddening. I think it is the combination of needing that daily validation, money being so tight, and the helpless feeling that SNG's often incur.

When you can run 15 ROI for 1k SNGs, then -10 ROI for the next 1k, you're basically going to have to commit to being a volume whore or you don't want SNG's to be anything more than a hobby. Personally I can't stand playing 1500-2000 games a month at 1-3 bucks a game, I start losing my mind during the super sick runs, so I've returned to cash again for now (and hopefully forever).
Old 10-06-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have played cash games for months at a time without touching SNG's, and trust me it is FAR less maddening.

[/ QUOTE ]

what in the hell are you talking about?

every single time i play cash i get dealt 10-3 offsuit for 6 hours, get JJ 3 bet guy, he goes all in with obivous aces, i fold, then i go 6 more hours getting 9-2 offsuit, then i get suited connectors 8 times in a row and play them agressivley every time and the flop is AAK and i check fold or hopelessly bluff, i mean jesus christ.