Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Re: About Ed and Elaine Brown, the couple who refused to pay taxes..

I appreciate that Ed and Elaine Brown were willing to stand up against the income tax, but their reasoning is all wrong, bordering on idiotic. Their argument is based on the law, which is a system of rules written by the same scoundrels they are fighting. Even if they are technically correct, it doesn't matter, because the ruling class does not adhere to the law when it doesn't suit them.

If they wanted a chance to win, they needed to make a moral argument, which is basically playing by a "higher" set of laws. If they think that taxation is immoral (I suspect they do, why else would they make such a fuss?), they should say so. They would win more supporters, and be more likely to be remembered as being in the right.

As it is though, they basically got what they deserved.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:28 PM

I agree with this:

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate that Ed and Elaine Brown were willing to stand up against the income tax, but their reasoning is all wrong, bordering on idiotic. Their argument is based on the law, which is a system of rules written by the same scoundrels they are fighting. Even if they are technically correct, it doesn't matter, because the ruling class does not adhere to the law when it doesn't suit them.

If they wanted a chance to win, they needed to make a moral argument, which is basically playing by a "higher" set of laws. If they think that taxation is immoral (I suspect they do, why else would they make such a fuss?), they should say so. They would win more supporters, and be more likely to be remembered as being in the right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Using the system's rules to fight the system doesn't seem like an effective method of resistance (even if occasionally effective in the short-term, it seems mostly counter-productive in the long term).

But I totally disagree with this:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If tax laws *are* morally unacceptable, then it seems largely irrelevant what arguments they actually used to support their cause--using the incorrect arguments wouldn't suddenly make them 'deserve' the injustice that they received. And all of this is ignoring the slimy amd underhanded trick the government used to arrest them (certainly not surprising I suppose).
Old 10-06-2007, 02:57 PM

They risked thier lives for something they believe in, to make the world a better place. More then can be said for you.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they think that taxation is immoral (I suspect they do, why else would they make such a fuss?), they should say so. They would win more supporters, and be more likely to be remembered as being in the right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure this is correct. I remember Ed Brown saying something to the effect of "show me a law that says I have to pay income taxes, and I'll pay them." In other words, mere technical defect in the drafting of the IRS Code, not moral outrage, was his stated reasoning for not paying taxes. Beyond idiotic, such logic is also self-defeating, as the second you actually convince a court you're right, the government just amends the law to fix the problem, and you're stuck paying taxes again.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:23 PM

When did Ed and Elaine change their last name to Brown?

All I know is that Ed should just stick to writing poker books.

And Elaine... well she has already crossed the line, so nothing more to say there.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:22 PM

Ed Brown post-arrest audiotape released

It's at the bottom of the page if you wanna listen to it. According to him he was Guantanamo-style tortured while he was in custody. It really doesn't sound like he's lying to me either. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's at the bottom of the page if you wanna listen to it. According to him he was Guantanamo-style tortured while he was in custody. It really doesn't sound like he's lying to me either. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
In contrast to the vast majority of Guantanamo prisoners, Ed is actually a proven criminal.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:29 PM

He's a hero as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
In contrast to the vast majority of Guantanamo prisoners, Ed is actually a proven criminal.

[/ QUOTE ]

your point? oooh you're makin a statement about Iraqi prisoners, I see. So you're saying you're against them being imprisoned and tortured unlawfully? Well if you pay your taxes, then you're funding what you're against. Does that make you a hypocrite? If not, it means you're just a scaredy cat. And therefore, you should have vast amounts of respect for somebody who isn't scared and IS standing up for what he believes in. So yeah, why don't you just go sit over there?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your point? oooh you're makin a statement about Iraqi prisoners, I see. So you're saying you're against them being imprisoned and tortured unlawfully? Well if you pay your taxes, then you're funding what you're against. Does that make you a hypocrite? If not, it means you're just a scaredy cat. And therefore, you should have vast amounts of respect for somebody who isn't scared and IS standing up for what he believes in. So yeah, why don't you just go sit over there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he is american...