Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Ask me about being a FIFA-certified soccer referee

[ QUOTE ]
why is football such an undisciplined sport? by that i mean countless times you see players surrounding the referee, tearing after him when he retreats, swearing in his face, yet they rarely get so much as a yellow card. its pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're just not as civilized obv.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:22 AM

What's the pay like (if you don't mind answering)
Old 09-28-2007, 10:01 AM

Default Big Games?

Have you reffed any big games?

Are there any players that you think are jerks? cry babies? etc...?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Big Games?

How much money do you make? I don't like you.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:56 PM

Why don't you yellow card/red card the [censored] that roll around acting like they are hurt trying to draw a penalty, get carted off on a stretcher (no pride), and then hop off the stretcher when they get to the sidelines? Come on, soccer, I mean football, isn't that damn rough.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you yellow card/red card the [censored] that roll around acting like they are hurt trying to draw a penalty, get carted off on a stretcher (no pride), and then hop off the stretcher when they get to the sidelines? Come on, soccer, I mean football, isn't that damn rough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, so as a D1 soccer player, I'll tell you that pure faking happens, but lets be serious, it happens in every other american sport too. Kickers are taught to fall down if they get brushed, Dwayne Wade is the biggest diver in the NBA and diving happens all the time in the NHL. Its a way to gain an advantage thats done in many sports.

As for the rolling around and then being fine later, when you take a knock on the leg (where you have basically 0 protection) it stings like hell for about a minute, then you can walk it off. Its important to remember we don't get the padding that other sports get and taking a cleat to the leg hurts like hell

Also, I'd think you'd be very surprised how physical soccer is, especially on restarts
Old 09-28-2007, 06:37 PM

Would you ever give a second yellow and ejection for simulation?
Old 09-28-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, so as a D1 soccer player, I'll tell you that pure faking happens, but lets be serious, it happens in every other american sport too. Kickers are taught to fall down if they get brushed, Dwayne Wade is the biggest diver in the NBA and diving happens all the time in the NHL. Its a way to gain an advantage thats done in many sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

In American sports they don't act like they are hurt. They may fall down and act like they were run into but they don't stay down and wait for a cart to haul their ass off the field. Soccer players take it to the point where they get carried off the field when there is nothing wrong with them. Weird.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:41 PM

nc - this is only SOME soccer players. Not all.
Many soccer fans are annoyed by these tactics too.

Regarding the offside stuff. I played a game a couple years ago where their top scorer was kind of kneeling/catching his breath after an attack on our goal. He was about 20 yds offside when they stole the ball at midfield so he made sure to just be walking casually back and not make any attempt to be a part of the play at all.

Attacking team then launches the ball towards our goal and it bounces somewhere in front of the 18 about a mile high. Our semi-incompetent goalie only half-heartedly calls for it and I back-off thinking he's going to take it. But he still muffs it...it deflects off him and the out-of-the-play player is able to step in and deflect it into the goal.

As I said, there is zero question about his offside position. It was by about 20 yds when the ball was struck. The asst-referee who made that call says he wasn't involved in the play. Our argument was, "How can he not be in the play when he scored the freaking goal?!?!"

Our fault for all looking at each other assuming the play would be whistled dead though. I don't think I would have had a chance of getting back there to stop it but I'll never know since I didn't even try.

This ref wears glasses and has had a history of being absolutely horrible. I'm not even sure this was the worst call we've had from him so I just have a tough time accepting his explanation as opposed to some of the other refs in this league who are really sharp.

Anyway, what generally should happen in a situation like this where a lazily walking player has the ball come to his general direction but he doesn't play it until after it deflects off a defending player?
Old 09-28-2007, 10:16 AM

When a guy fakes an injury rolling around on the ground and then hops back up and continues to play as if nothing has happened, why don't you penalize him? This is the single reason why American non-wuss sports fans will never embrace your silly game.