Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Sluss\'s AFC Rankings (Week 3)

Baltimore was 13-3 last year and was one bad ref call away from being 3-0 this year. They belong way higher.

You've constantly underrated Tennesee, and you continue to do so here. Ranking them below Jacksonville(WHOM THEY BEAT AT JACKSONVILLE) is just wrong. Tennessee has lost by 2 point to your #2 overall team and otherwise has won. What else do you want from them????

Houston is too low. Again, their only loss was to your #2 team. Why are you penalizing them so much for that one loss?

Otherwise, I agree.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So the Texans are the worst team in the AFC South and only tenth in all of AFC!?

[/ QUOTE ]
The Texans are probably the worst team in the AFC South. However, that is also probably the best divison in the NFL. Right now I like the Texans alot, but their real test comes week 6, 7 and 8. @Jacksonville, vs. Tennessee, @ San Diego. If they are a playoff team that will be the show me stretch. I think right now I would make the Bengals and them even. With the Texans on their way up and the Bengals on their way down. If everything goes the way it should this week they will be overtaking the Bengals next week.

I probably do have the Chargers too high right now. They did have a tough stretch of games and may not be playing well. However, I don't want to make this a how well are they playing right now kind of list. The idea is to identify the best teams. If the Chargers continue to slip they will drop. Right now though if the Chargers go in to almost every team in the league and play the way they are capable of playing, they beat them, it's that simple. If we were talking about them being injured it would be a different story. Right now they look more like the 2005 Chargers, rather than the 2006 Chargers and may finish this year somewhere in the middle of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jacksonville will finish in last place in their division, and if you give me decent odds I'd be willing to wager on it.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good rankings....only quibble is that the Jets are too high...they're an awful team...both the Chiefs and Raiders seem better than them.

The AFC East could have the best team and the three worst teams in the AFC!

Go Bills! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Jets were a playoff team last year in hte AFC and have nearly their entire team back(plus thomas jones).

They've lost to the Ravens and Colts. I don't understand how you can penalize them for those losses. EVEN IF YOU THOUGHT THE JETS WERE A TOP 6 TEAM LIKE LAST YEAR, YOU WOULD STILL HAVE THOUGHT THAT THEY'D B E AT 1-2 RIGHT NOW.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:50 PM

I'd say:

1. NE
2. Indy

3. Pit

4. Balt
5. Tenn
6. SD
7. Hous
8. Den
9. NY
10. Cincy
11. Jack
12. Oak
13. Cle
14. KC
15. Buff
16. Mia

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good rankings....only quibble is that the Jets are too high...they're an awful team...both the Chiefs and Raiders seem better than them.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Jets were a playoff team last year in hte AFC and have nearly their entire team back(plus thomas jones).

They've lost to the Ravens and Colts. I don't understand how you can penalize them for those losses. EVEN IF YOU THOUGHT THE JETS WERE A TOP 6 TEAM LIKE LAST YEAR, YOU WOULD STILL HAVE THOUGHT THAT THEY'D B E AT 1-2 RIGHT NOW.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember that 12-4 Jags team 2 years ago? They were the weak schedule team that year, just as the Jets were the weak schedule team last year.

[ QUOTE ]
Baltimore was 13-3 last year and was one bad ref call away from being 3-0 this year. They belong way higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you actually believe what you type? They got screwed out of tying the game with a minute left. Their defense (which couldn't hold leads at home against Kellen Clemens & Kurt Warner) still would've needed to stop Palmer just to force overtime.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:51 PM

Maybe there is more data available after those games than just the binary result? Maybe?

Edit: Btw I think the Jets are about right in the OP. The Bungles may be moving down quickly.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:54 PM

And Assasni you realize the Titans lose the game in Jax if the Jaguars kicker didn't freakishly get hurt in pregame warmups and Matt Jones doesn't drop a touchdown catch when he was wide open in the end zone. But I'm sure that means nothing because power rankings are all powerful.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember that 12-4 Jags team 2 years ago? They were the weak schedule team that year, just as the Jets were the weak schedule team last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 games against the Pats, the Colts, and the Bears...I wouldn't call that "easy."

Their opponent's combined record not counting the games vs the Jets was 114-126...obviously that helps the Jets a little, but its not like that was THAT easy of a schedule.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, the Jets were never a top 6 team last year. They were a lucky, overperforming group of mediocre talent.

They were 19th last year in DVOA, putting them 12th in the AFC. They had the 20th ranked schedule (ie 13th easiest).

They are 30th so far this year in VOA, which, admittedly, is not adjusted for their difficult early schedule. But they're no better than last year's 19th rank, so expect their record to even out from last year.