Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: 30NL: QQ, Deep & OOP Play Along

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't like how you played this hand. You showed a ton of weakness by checking the flop and turn, of course villain is going to bet. Once you reraise preflop and villain smooth calls, it looks like AA and KK are less likely. A 42/14 doesn't usually get tricky with big hands like that. It looks like villain has AK and is trying to buy his way out of trouble, albeit badly. I would have led out on the flop for $20 (it's extremely inconsistent to 4bet preflop and check a non-scary flop like that, which would have been good if you had tried to CRAI) and called a shove. Your line looks really weak-tight to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe, although I'm not sure I agree with the flop CRAI given that I checked. What range are you putting this villain on? By the turn, AK is the only hand in his range that I'm ahead of IMO.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, we'll finish this up. So do we love it, hate it? I thought it was a pretty tough hand altogether and each street is debatable. I'd love to hear some more opinions.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.15/$0.30 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $6.90
BB: $20.90
Hero (UTG): $66.50
MP: $45.55
CO: $55.45
BTN: $15.95

Preflop: Hero is dealt (6 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $1.05</font>, MP folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $3.00</font>, BTN folds, SB calls $2.85, BB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $12.00</font>, CO calls $9.00, SB calls all-in for $3.90

Flop: ($31.20) (3 Players - 1 All-In)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $5.00</font>, Hero calls $5.00

Turn: ($41.20) (3 Players - 1 All-In)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $13.00</font>, Hero folds

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused about the way you played this hand. You 4-bet the flop committing quite a bit of money, Villain just flat calls, decreasing the chance of AA,KK, the board never really gets all that scary, yet your post flop line seems so weak tight to me also.

IMO, this is a great board for hero who showed so much confidence in QQ pre flop, not sure why all of a sudden we feel we may be beat here. I think your passiveness post flop really made this hand more difficult to play than it needed to be. As played, I suppose I would just call the flop bet after checking, but not betting (or check raising which just puts more money in here than probably desirable, and tells a very weird story about our hand) really puts you in a bad spot on the turn, having very little information to go off of as to where Villain may be at.

I almost agree with you, I'm a little lost on the turn, as played, as well.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:04 AM

wow dude that turn fold is just gross IMO - Maybe he has AA/KK but I think that he has hands like 99 or even just AK more than often enough to get it AI here.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow dude that turn fold is just gross IMO - Maybe he has AA/KK but I think that he has hands like 99 or even just AK more than often enough to get it AI here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I'm not saying I played the hand well. What I did do though was put him on a range and go with it. Maybe I'm really off here, but his range once he calls my 4 bet this deep is fairly narrow, TT+ imo.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:05 AM

At the time, I took into consideration that CO knew the hand was going to get shown down, given the fact that SB is already all in. I discounted AK from his range b/c I didn't think it would fire again on the turn into a side pot. Good or bad thinking here?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:15 AM

I think with the size of the pot that any villan may be more inclined to over play AK/AQ type hands in hopes of isolating the deadmoney and the shortstack. I have watched alot of hands where I tell myself that this guy has a real hand since it will be shown down and come to find out it was junk.

I cant believe you did not lead either the flop or the turn. As played, you should call the turn bet. Both villans bets have been weak sauce. I really doubt villan would come this weak again on the turn and let you draw if he had a strong hand at this point.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think with the size of the pot that any villan may be more inclined to over play AK/AQ type hands in hopes of isolating the deadmoney and the shortstack. I have watched alot of hands where I tell myself that this guy has a real hand since it will be shown down and come to find out it was junk.

I cant believe you did not lead either the flop or the turn. As played, you should call the turn bet. Both villans bets have been weak sauce. I really doubt villan would come this weak again on the turn and let you draw if he had a strong hand at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah maybe so. I viewed his bets as value bets since he was firing roughly half the pot (sidepot) on both the flop and turn.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:35 AM

Villain's line is so weak, it looks like whiffed AK / AQs to me. Plenty of donks around who could even be playing AJs this way.

I bet flop for at least $10, up to $15, and then maybe shut down if called, but the way you played it you never showed enough aggression for villain to credit you with AJ, let alone an overpair. I think he's betting air - what did he show down?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:57 AM

<font color="blue"> Since I'm still a little confused on this hand and having a hard time viewing this completely objectively, let me just provide my thought process so we can see where the problems are. </font>

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.15/$0.30 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $6.90
BB: $20.90
Hero (UTG): $66.50
MP: $45.55
CO: $55.45
BTN: $15.95

Preflop: Hero is dealt (6 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $1.05</font>, MP folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $3.00</font>, BTN folds, SB calls $2.85, BB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $12.00</font>, CO calls $9.00, SB calls all-in for $3.90

<font color="blue"> The UTG raise is completely standard. Once CO 3 bets and the SB calls with such a short stack, I think this is a fine spot for a 4 bet b/c 1)I have a hand and 2) I'll likely get the SB to call all in w/ a hand I crush and 3) taking back control of the hand. </font>

Flop: ($31.20) (3 Players - 1 All-In)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $5.00</font>, Hero calls $5.00

<font color="blue">Given that the CO decided to smooth call my 4 bet in position, I've given him a default hand range of TT+, AK. Some of you seem to disagree with this range but I'm having a hard time believing that he calls this deep with much else - and we only have 100 hands on him. Given his range that I put him on, I decide to check/call b/c of a few reasons 1) He could bet a hand that I'm ahead of (TT, AK) 2) If I lead for any decent amount, I'm going to have trouble getting off the hand and if all the money goes in, I'm almost always beat, and 3) Pot control. Leading for $20 is an option that most of you like on the flop, but you realize that if villain raises, it is only going to be $23 more to you to call - are you really going to fold? Do you think your hand is good often enough where getting it in for 200bb's is correct?</font>

Turn: ($41.20) (3 Players - 1 All-In)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $13.00</font>, Hero folds

<font color="blue"> Given that I check/called the flop, I decide to check again b/c in my mind he is going to define his hand on this street. He fires again for roughly half the side pot. At this point I heavily discount AK from his range b/c 1) his hand is going to showdown and 2) the 1/2 psb (sidepot) looked like a value bet. A lot of you disagree with this thinking, I'm just having a hard time believing that he plays 99 or AK this way but I could certainly be wrong. Since it looks like the CO is plenty happy getting all the money in, I stick with the range I've put him on and fold.

Any more input on where I went wrong would be greatly appreciated.</font>
Old 09-25-2007, 10:06 AM

The major thing that I see is that you havent defined your hand anywhere. The lone villan has not defined his hand either at this point. Put yourself in his shoes, do you really bet that small on flop and turn with made hands?

The only hand that I think might play this way is air/JJ. I really dont think villan plays AA/KK this way from the villans perspective.

Just seems like with the betsizing and the way you played the hand you need to call the turn getting 4-1. And make a decision on the river depending on the card etc.