Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Re: What\'s the most heroic thing you\'ve ever done?

I was walking into a Home Depot and a guy was backing his truck up in front of the store. A little kid was playing behind the truck and the mother of course was oblivious. I grabbed the kid and the mother yelled at the kid.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Around seven years ago, I was driving home on St. Patrick's day eve when I spotted three skinheads kicking a guy on the ground. I pulled a u-turn and put on my brights, getting the car to within a couple of yards, grabbed the baseball bat i had in there and got out. The silhouette lighting and a big ass overcoat must have looked pretty menacing, because they scattered. I pulled him into the car and dropped him off at a hospital. He told me I probably saved his life.

I don't know what the [censored] I was thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, this is a good one.

also, you're lucky that one of them didn't have a knife.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, bat > knife.

Seriously, pretty crazy story.

I can't think of anything in particular i've done. I guess ISSCKM?
Old 09-24-2007, 03:31 PM

Pulled my step-dad off of my mom while he was trying to beat her ass. Instead I beat his. Only fight i've ever been in.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My wife's Nana became very ill this year and I basically took over responsibility for overseeing her care. At great financial and emotional cost my wife and I made Nana's last months as good as they could possibly be, despite the uselessness of Nana's daughter (my wife's aunt, my wife's mother is dead).

That sure doesn't sound very heroic written out. Oh, well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eff that. Anybody can be a tough guy in the heat of the moment, when they've got somebody to impress, or can fulfill some fantasy, or see a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. That [censored] took real fortitude and was v. hard and v. expensive. Lots of emotional, moral & psychological courage there. YOU'RE EVERYTHING I WOULD LIKE TO BE, SLIM.

To answer personally: Wow, what a bummer topic. Heroism is something that I've always aspired to, and dreamed about, but rarely if ever actually achieved.

On the one hand, I take pride in my moral courage, and conviction to say/do what I feel is right in the face of haters / fear of the consequences. On the other hand, that same pride has led me pretty far astray on more than one occasion. Many decisions that felt really good / 'right' at the time seem pretty questionable in retrospect, and I doubt that much, if any, enduring good has come from my 'hero' moments.

So to actually answer the OP - I don't know. At times I've tried to make a difference in peoples' lives, bring hope to the hopeless, blah blah blah. But I have no idea what, if any, good I have accomplished.

Anybody wanna start drinkin'?
Old 09-24-2007, 03:33 PM

It's not really anything heroic, but I dove into a pool and pulled an 18 month old off of the bottom. He was wondering around a picnic and his mom lost sight of him. He walked straight into the pool and just sunk to the bottom. We were all away from the pool at the time and no one heard him go in I have no idea why I even walked towards the pool and no idea why I looked down there.

It's not heroism though -- it's just instinct. Most of these stories are just instinct except for the skinheads one.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:37 PM

I got a friend out of a situation where she was very likely to be date raped, but I don't really consider that heroic.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:38 PM

I'm not a hero. We'd all be heroes if we'd quit using petroleum.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pulled my step-dad off of my mom while he was trying to beat her ass. Instead I beat his. Only fight i've ever been in.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], nice work.

-Al
Old 09-24-2007, 03:40 PM

I quit using petroleum.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:50 PM

In middle school some [censored] was making fun of my brother who is a year younger than me. He dumped some OJ on him on the bus to which my brother ignored to his credit. We all got off at the same stop a few minutes later and the kid starts shoving him. So I grabbed his backpack to hold him back. He swings and me and missed. I pounded him to the ground till my friend pulled me off of him. Best part was, I got in no trouble by the school or parents while this kid got in a [censored]. Seemed more heroic in my head [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]