Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Maybe

[ QUOTE ]
I may be leaving soon anyways vhawk...Need to get back to my game...Its ok if you don't post..lurkers may find my threads interesting...You guys mostly don't refute the information I am making available...just make lame personal attacks..the other night when I protested the prophecies link the historical accuracy should have been the focal point but everyone went off on a tangent...people here just aren't any more discriminating than the average joe...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. No one is interested in refuting the information you "make available." We are interested in discussing YOUR ideas. And we don't condescend to treat anyone like a thin-skinned child.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This article is a travesty of logic

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm halfway through and it's painful
Old 09-21-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys mostly don't refute the information I am making available

[/ QUOTE ]

again, unless you are a particularly well-liked poster, you can't just link to whatever you want and say "analyze this."

pick a part of his essay that you think is persuasive. make it a manageable chunk. hopefully make it relevant to something people think is important. give your own opinions on it. be prepared to defend them with integrity and honesty.

people here are incredibly patient and willing to work really hard to defend their viewpoints if you demonstrate a willingness to engage with them in honest debate.

you will get all the analysis you want but you have to make your own investment.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:15 PM

The historical accuracy of the prophecies is something to marvel at...No one can dispute Christ prophesied that the Temple in Jerusalem would fall and it did...No one can dispute that there are references to the rise of Israel again and that Israel is back...
Old 09-21-2007, 11:23 PM

My main problem with Christianity is as follows.

If God is omnipotent then he knows everything that was and everything that ever will be, correct?
If this is the case then he created the world with the knowledge of the fall of man and everything that would follow.
Therefore he must have known that humankind would fail the task he set them and that hell would be the punishment.
He also knew that not all of humanity would accept this gift (Jesus) and as a result some would go to Hell.
This to me seems very cold, he created man knowing that many would suffer eternal torment, not very Christlike IMO.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The historical accuracy of the prophecies is something to marvel at...No one can dispute Christ prophesied that the Temple in Jerusalem would fall and it did

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah they can. anyway, the temple being destroyed was not a far fetched scenario in the first place.

[ QUOTE ]
No one can dispute that there are references to the rise of Israel again and that Israel is back...

[/ QUOTE ]

kind of.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The historical accuracy of the prophecies is something to marvel at...No one can dispute Christ prophesied that the Temple in Jerusalem would fall and it did...No one can dispute that there are references to the rise of Israel again and that Israel is back...

[/ QUOTE ]

Which verse talks about the temple, I don't remember it offhand sorry.

Edit: If you mean this one then what is the Wailing Wall?

[ QUOTE ]
“And Jesus went out from the temple, and was going on his way; and his disciples came to him to show him the buildings of the temple. But he answered and said unto them, ‘You see all of these things, do you not? Truly I say unto you, there shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down’” (Matthew 24:1-2).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-21-2007, 11:32 PM

Matthew 24...around 70 years later it was destroyed...
Old 09-21-2007, 11:38 PM

Whether or not Joshua of Nazereth predicted the fall of the Temple I truly believe is irrelevent.
See my first (Edit:sorry second) post, what are your feelings on that as a Christian?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:38 PM

There was a temple built by Solomon...it was built with incredible expense and effort by the Israelites and it housed the ark of the covenant...It was the most important place in Jerusalem and was destroyed by the Romans when they dispersed the Jews...there are rumors today that the temple may be rebuilt in Israel...I'm not sure if the temple being rebuilt is predicted or not but the re-rise of Israel almost 2000 years later is kind of incredible...I can't think of any nation disappearing for centuries and re-appearing...