Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2006, 10:27 AM

Default Re: A sin?

[ QUOTE ]
The "God" of orthodox Christian theology is intrinsically exempt from such judgements. Man has the ability to think in these terms, but as a Christian one must suppress such yearnings to pass judgement on the eternal creator of heaven and earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is best to be completely honest before God,
David is described as a man after God's own heart.
He was always complaining about how Why god didn't do this, or he wasn't there or ...
It's healthy to question God, not judge him.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:32 AM

John the baptist was described as the closest person to heaven at the time of Jesus. Yet while in jail, he sent a question to Jesus. "Are you the messiah?". John himself, the most godly man, who saw the dove descend on Jesus, foretold his arrival, saw all he did still doubted Jesus' identity.

Doubts healthy,
Your post is all lies.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It's healthy to question God, not judge him.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is the difference manifested?
Old 03-03-2006, 10:34 AM

That's just it though, The christian God isn't contradictory.
He is unchanging.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:37 AM

judging is accusing,
----------------------
questioning is a search for truth/answers.

God you bastard, now my head hurts.
----------------------------
God, why does my head hurt?

One of them is followed by a question mark and it's not a rhetorical.. Where a sincere answer is wanted.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's just it though, The christian God isn't contradictory.
He is unchanging.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, that was my point. It's you Christians who trot out the vengeful God or the loving God at will, depending on what you want people to do. When you're trying to convert or comfort someone, it's the loving God who you use. When you're trying to tell someone not to do something, the forgiving God goes away, and out comes the vengeful God.

It's almost like you're using God to serve the purposes of Man, and not man to serve the purposes of God. But you're too brainwashed to know the difference.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In a nutshell:
If you go to church or not doesn't effect your salvation.
Commiting sin doesn't effect your salvation. 'all have sinned'
it the simple act of asking for forgiveness that is the prerequisite for salvation.

I think the questions have been very well explained in Lee Strobel's "Case for Faith".

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Godboy,

1)
A.
Isn't the prerequisite in asking for forgiveness make it necessary that the person be convinced of the truth of God's existence and what he requires?

or

B. Asking for forgiveness without believing in God is good enough?

2) Then is it justice to send someone to hell, if they never became convinced of God existance and his demands, and therefore can't ask for forgiveness, unless it works regardless of whether you believe?

Also, what about Christians that believe at one time, and then stop believing, are they going to heaven?

Joseph
Old 03-04-2006, 04:29 AM

The majority of humans believe in a higher power. I think a person who is sincerely seeking out God will start to develop his characteristics. One of these is a desire to do what is good and just. When we realise how many times we have done what is bad and unjust, we naturally apologise to 'God'.

It's not about if they are grounded in hard to understand theology, just that they are honest before God.
Anyone can find God and be with him in heaven.. a buddhist, christian, muslim, hindu, barman.

Is that you in your photo? nice hair dude.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:32 AM

That's not true with my experiences with chirsitians but perhaps those you know may have thought that way.
In my experiences with christians, the forgiving God never goes away, and people don't use the faith as a way of controlling others.
You can't possibly know enough about me from this post to call me brainwashed.. Why? Because I believe something different, no body has all the answers.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:52 AM

The bible very clearly states that asking for forgiveness is not enough. Scripture says that one must confess with their mouth, and BELIEVE IN THEIR HEARTS THAT JESUS IS LORD.

I have noticed, and mentioned before, this curious duality of christian theology which allows for two diametrically opposed manifestations of one God. The God of the old testament and John's book of revelation is one tough mother, but at the sermon on the mount it was all bubblegum and sunshine.

This seems to be something altogether indigestable, but because God does encompass all of experience, feeling, and existence, this dual view can persist in a logically consistent framework of belief. Considering of course, that you take it all on faith!

And there you have it, faith is all.

I find myself intellectually incapable of religious belief, but do very often struggle with adapting some view of those vexing grand schemes that play out with such viscious regularity and frightening cadence in every area of my life.

Bertrand Russell became a committed atheist one day while walking back to his room in Cambridge. The thought that changed him so profoundly was that indeed there must be some first cause. If you were to say it was God, then who made him. The philosophical argument boils down to once again suppressing rationality, and accepting it all on.............FAITH.

Cambraceres