Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Re: is drinking alcohol an acquired taste?

bigmonkey,

Do you also spit out spicy food? Someone that has never had anything remotely spicy will also probably reject it, and studies have shown that the more regularly one eats spicy food, the higher one's tolerance towards it goes up.

Fermentation is just another "cooking" process foods can go through, and it seems like lots of people reject it because alcohol is one result of the process, and being drunk is bad. That's such a ridiculous, preposterous way to go through life.

PS bigmonkey's ignorance is blatant when he lists both "beer" and "lager" separately.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:16 PM

My kid taste buds didn't like veggies.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bigmonkey,

Do you also spit out spicy food? Someone that has never had anything remotely spicy will also probably reject it, and studies have shown that the more regularly one eats spicy food, the higher one's tolerance towards it goes up.

Fermentation is just another "cooking" process foods can go through, and it seems like lots of people reject it because alcohol is one result of the process, and being drunk is bad. That's such a ridiculous, preposterous way to go through life.

PS bigmonkey's ignorance is blatant when he lists both "beer" and "lager" separately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check-raise on the ignorance. Beer and lager don't mean the same thing. One is a subset of the other, as I understand it, although where I'm from, ale is more popular and is generally just referred to as "beer".

On spicy food: I typically don't eat much of it, but one thing I have noticed is that my "scale of spiciness" is inverted compared to most people I know. Some food that is considered extremely hot by others I can hardly detect anything, whereas most chili sauces labelled as "mild" I find to be too hot.

And IMO, drunkenness is nothing but bad. I don't understand why anybody would want to lessen their degree of consciousness, lose concentration or focus, and put themselves through the associated physical pain. I could sympathise if alcoholic drinks tasted so good (ie. an analogous line of argument to eating lots of fatty foods and being obese), but for me they don't. Obviously this is my subjective view (and the view of a minority in the western world), but I think drinking alcohol is one of the stupidest and least rational things I could do in the next 24 hours, with many downsides and not a single upside.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think drinking alcohol is one of the stupidest and least rational things I could do in the next 24 hours, with many downsides and not a single upside.

[/ QUOTE ] I think sex should be labeled an upside.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think drinking alcohol is one of the stupidest and least rational things I could do in the next 24 hours, with many downsides and not a single upside.

[/ QUOTE ] I think sex should be labeled an upside.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I considered that, but really it's only an upside if the other party is drunk.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:52 PM

bigmonkey really really needs a beer.

There's nothing wrong with a little relaxation. Beer opens that door sometimes.

I suggest Sopporro. For some reason it will make you sleepy after one 22 oz can. You won't fall asleep, but you will just feel.....

relaxed.

Oh, for optimal flavor, put it in the freezer for one hour, so that it is as cold as possible. It tastes very good and does not have an alcohol flavor. You want some ice chips.

Please report back.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll just come out and say it. The people that say they like the taste of any alcoholic beverage are simply mired in denial about the fact that they're doing a hard drug and will go to great lengths to delude themselves. Sure, some alcoholic beverages are more palatable than others but your little kid taste buds were right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally disagree. I don't like the taste of any kind of straight liquor - but many mixed drinks are genuinely tasty. Better than they would be if it were just fruit juice, etc. Same with beer and wine, there is more than alcohol in these drinks. Alcohol is just an ingedient. Plenty of ingredients taste like [censored] on their own.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:00 AM

Gah, dammmit. I just remembered I posted in this thread. I hate doing that and didn't mean to come off trollish. In fact, reading my post again 'just coming out and saying it' wasn't the optimal way to go. Anyhow..
Old 09-26-2007, 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The people that say they like the taste of any alcoholic beverage are simply mired in denial about the fact that they're doing a hard drug and will go to great lengths to delude themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is worded sort of confusingly. Do you mean to say, "The people that say they like the taste of any single alcoholic beverage," or "The people that say they like the taste of every alcoholic beverage?" It sounds like you're claiming that nothing fermented tastes good, but surely that can't be what you meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call it a hypothesis, but that's what I am saying. Perhaps I should say relatively, while still palatable, they don't taste good compared to a non-fermented beverage.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll just come out and say it. The people that say they like the taste of any alcoholic beverage are simply mired in denial about the fact that they're doing a hard drug and will go to great lengths to delude themselves. Sure, some alcoholic beverages are more palatable than others but your little kid taste buds were right.

[/ QUOTE ]

BRAG!:

My parents gave me beer when i was a child. Trained.

As I pointed out, some beers are inomprehensably bad. Some beers are genuinely good, IMO.

I take it you do not drink at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've drank quite a bit in my life, probably more than most in this thread. (And we're all adults here so you know i'm not saying that as some sort of juvenile brag.) I don't really drink anymore, for whatever reason I stopped being a fan of the buzz/drunk feeling. I only drink now when I do cocaine as I feel they compliment each other nicely, though this is rather sporadic, maybe once every few months, tops.

Oh yeah, I don't like cocaine either, I just like the smell of it.