Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: my new style: please check my stats

[ QUOTE ]
This style would have done v well on Party back in the day. This style probably still works well in SSNL. IMO it takes more than this to beat 3/6+ at a good clip these days.

More aggression, more deception, and consistently making better bluffs/valuebets/folds (ie: reads). This simply requires better postflop skills, and that comes with experience and possibly coaching. My advice is to play less tables and think about your opponents more. Re-evaluate some of your super standard plays. It sounds like the same advice everyone always gives, but it's true and it will work if you take it to heart and resist playing on autopilot.

Also stop limping pf and move down a level where you're comfortable buying in full. This half stack stuff is counter-productive imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. end thread.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:59 PM

reup, if i see someone is tight postflop when i see others betting into them then ill try and bet into them more often as bluffs, but on the whole people just dont fold. i dont think its history or player notes as ive only come back playing this last week.

redgrape, i am not being serious in case you thought i was. i am def not ahead of my time.

imsa, at 2-4nl i was playing with 65bb. i think this is better than 50bb becuase you can 3bet pf without being pot committed. i think tonight if i have time ill try and play a bit of 65bb.

tnuc, i find it varies a lot, but yeah some players really are nitty. that mattmys guy cracks me up. also some jeff2007 guy who plays on the 8 max tables and is playing a 6/2 game over 300+ hands.

kura, are you kuratora or something like that? i guess you know but i am vincentbaines.

ata, its more just to ease me back in and see what happens, right now im looking for an easy-ish style for when i start work next month so a few nights a week i can play for a few hours and grind out a nice win (esp given my hourly rate at my job will be $30/hr max lols)

tagtastic, ill try this style at 2-4nl and see how it goes again, i think its easier to get cheap showdowns which i like with showdown value hands. i really did spend a lot of time in august going over theory etc and whilst i understand the reasoning of adapting to how others are playing etc, i just find bluffing so pointless as whenever i get a good hand i always get paid off. maybe the problem is i am not getting properly paid off becuase i am only making small bets rather than 3/4 pot 3/4 pot 3/4 pot.

i will def take your advice on board, i've really worked hard in terms of thinking about my general game and the reasoning behind all sorts of different plays, but i guess im looking for a easy style, which may be a cop-out but i think i can get it to work to grind out a tidy hourly rate.

thanks a lot for the replies, much appreciated.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
john kane, longest running gimmick account in msnl

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I thought too. I always ask myself, should I take this guy seriously? But really, he does bring up some interesting points and he's always thinking outside the box. And that could be a bad or a good thing.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:01 PM

without reading any of this, i just want to say that its really funny that you would copy the style of losing and breakeven players. i mean out of experimenting anything, you experimented weak tight play just wow.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:02 PM

i think i did this like 2 years ago at .5/1. buy in for 60. play about 22/12. didn't work out too well
Old 09-20-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
reup, if i see someone is tight postflop when i see others betting into them then ill try and bet into them more often as bluffs, but on the whole people just dont fold. i dont think its history or player notes as ive only come back playing this last week.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah you gotta go a little deeper than they're tight so I'm gonna bluff at em... flop texture, history, your image, what turn card turned etc... hard to do while you ten table fo shure.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:18 PM

barrin, i definitely do have a different take on a number of aspects, i think its probs becuase a lot of my game i've self-learnt rather than being coached etc. just bought some books, read the basics, and then let my game evolve itself.

i think of my game like my golf swing. i think whilst a bit unorthodox, it can produce consistently good results if all elements are 'in sync', but too often they are not all 'in sync' so i develop a bit of a hook or a slice which gives me a lower success rate. at times i can just play badly and it all goes wrong, becuase im doing something fundamentally wrong.

i really do think golf and poker are very similar games. you can become very good at both, but if you are good enough, then the mental game becomes more important. also all it takes is one fundamental mistake and your game can seriously suffer.

enough rambling. jfish i feel my game, which from nov06-may07 was running at $230/hr or so at 2-4nl and a bit of 3-6nl, was really pretty good. i felt a very bad run in 2 days in late june meant i ended out changing my game, and only recently ive been trying to 'find it' again.

i wouldnt say my game was weak-tight, id say it was aggressive when i think i can extract value and to protect my hand and when i can get away with a small bluff, but i just don't bother with 3 betting pf with a wide range or 3 barrelling becuase whenever i do it people call with such joke hands its not worth it.

omni, maybe if you tried it again it may work, but may not.

reup, yeah i take those into account, and i think it's definitely doable 10-12 tabling, obv not as well as 4-5 tabling but still doable.

thanks for the replies, helps a lot.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:30 PM

so ur new 'game' is to undo all almost all the good uv done otherwise when ur in teh blinds genius jk genius
Old 09-21-2007, 09:14 AM

k, sorry if it came off harsh I think it's important people never think they are the best player in the world.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
barrin, i definitely do have a different take on a number of aspects, i think its probs becuase a lot of my game i've self-learnt rather than being coached etc. just bought some books, read the basics, and then let my game evolve itself.

i think of my game like my golf swing. i think whilst a bit unorthodox, it can produce consistently good results if all elements are 'in sync', but too often they are not all 'in sync' so i develop a bit of a hook or a slice which gives me a lower success rate. at times i can just play badly and it all goes wrong, becuase im doing something fundamentally wrong.

i really do think golf and poker are very similar games. you can become very good at both, but if you are good enough, then the mental game becomes more important. also all it takes is one fundamental mistake and your game can seriously suffer.

enough rambling. jfish i feel my game, which from nov06-may07 was running at $230/hr or so at 2-4nl and a bit of 3-6nl, was really pretty good. i felt a very bad run in 2 days in late june meant i ended out changing my game, and only recently ive been trying to 'find it' again.

i wouldnt say my game was weak-tight, id say it was aggressive when i think i can extract value and to protect my hand and when i can get away with a small bluff, but i just don't bother with 3 betting pf with a wide range or 3 barrelling becuase whenever i do it people call with such joke hands its not worth it.

omni, maybe if you tried it again it may work, but may not.

reup, yeah i take those into account, and i think it's definitely doable 10-12 tabling, obv not as well as 4-5 tabling but still doable.

thanks for the replies, helps a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to drop levels and try to learn how to play poker.

This isnt slamming or flaming...its just you are looking for a mechanical way to make gobs of money in online poker at mid stakes NLH and that just doesnt exist as far as I know...

Maybe play some live games...and really concentrate on hand reading?

Keep in mind I play primarily live but used to do very well at 2-4 NLH 4 tabling and destroying the old games back in 05/06'....from what ive heard the games have gotten even better...and I dont think your approach would have really worked that well a yr or 2 ago to be honest above 1-2 or 2-4 NLH maybe..

Just my thoughts im no online guru though.