Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2006, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Got a DWI....do I need a lawyer?

[ QUOTE ]
but I have no problem driving with 3-5 beers in me, which does not substantially affect my driving ability

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you will better understand "substantially" when you kill someone.

Or when someone you love is killed by someone whose driving was not "substantially" affected because they were impaired.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:02 PM

Let's hope the OP knows what an egregious mistake he's made but even if he doesn't do you think the answers to your questions will be any different than the following?

[ QUOTE ]
Why were you driving while impaired? I made a mistake

Did you think that it was alright to risk the lives of others so as not to inconvenience yourself? No

Please respond. You made a "conscious" decision to drive while impaired, risking your own life, but much more importantly, the lives of innocent others. I would really like to know how you justify this selfish, irresponsible act. There isn't a justifiable answer

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-02-2006, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1) Never blow.

[/ QUOTE ]

We've been over this before. In most states not blowing equals a suspension of your license. Moreover, the police will just arrest you and extract a blood sample. So if you are actually intoxicated, you will get busted regardless.

Refusing to blow just guarantees that you will lose your license, even when you would have blown below a .08.

The better play is to blow, and if it is over .08, demand a blood test. Since breathalyzers are innacurate, there is a chance that you could blow over a .08 when your BAC is actually lower than .08. And if you do things this way, you don't lose your license.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you'll get arrested. But the loss of license is temporary. And no, in most states, they can't just take a blood sample...at least the states in which I have any experience with this. It's much more difficult to convinct without the blow results. And you won't have the DWI on your record.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:13 PM

You need to make friends with a cop. They can help get the charged dropped to a reckless driving ticket assuming you weren't a prick to the officer.

If that's not an option, you need a lawyer.

The refusing to blow thing is idiotic. That will guarantee you end up in cuffs.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:16 PM

From what I've heard here in AZ, if you're not sure you're going to pass the test, the best play BY FAR is to refuse the tests and take the one year suspended sentence for reckless driving. In the long run, it is by far the best choice as it pertains to insurance cost and damage to your public record. All of this may have changed but this was the case a few years ago.

I think the correct answer also to get one of those portable breathalyzers for personal use so you know where you stand. They were mentioned in another thread recently. I suspect I look/appear/feel quite sober at .08 but I guess we're all different in that regards. Spending $70 one time or whatever it costs is a no-brainer.

Going forward, just do what I do...get wasted at home while looking at pr0n on the Internet. Much safer for everyone. And more fun than you might think.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to make friends with a cop. They can help get the charged dropped to a reckless driving ticket assuming you weren't a prick to the officer.

If that's not an option, you need a lawyer.

The refusing to blow thing is idiotic. That will guarantee you end up in cuffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Common Sense Alert: If you blow a .14 you're going to end up in cuffs anyway.

Every lawyer I've ever talked to about this has told me never, ever, ever blow.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It pains me to read about this when the solution is so simple. Next time you decide to drink and drive it is essential that you have a mickey in your glove compartment. When pulled over turn off the car and proceed to chug the booze in plain sight of the officer. This will exempt you from any sort of DWI charges.

[/ QUOTE ]

What color is the sky in your world?
Old 03-02-2006, 02:58 PM

I actually know of 2 people who have pulled this off. They recieved several other charges but no DUI.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually know of 2 people who have pulled this off. They recieved several other charges but no DUI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bullsh!t.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:03 PM

Next time keep some salty peanuts, chewing gum and a nickel in your car. Just snack while driving home, and if you get pulled over put the nickel in your mouth. It does help reduce the damage when you have to blow.