Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Mother commits suicide at same spot as her only daughter

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is an intensely stupid and selfish act for this girl to have killed herself over some little tiff with her boyfriend. In a sense, her life is not hers to take. As an only child, she killed three people when she killed herself.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're certainly not the only one who has this attitude towards suicide, but frankly, I couldn't agree less with it.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

State your case?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:25 AM

There is an old saying that goes something along the lines of, "No parent should ever live long enough to bury one of their children."

The older my kids get, the more I understand the truth of it.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is an intensely stupid and selfish act for this girl to have killed herself over some little tiff with her boyfriend. In a sense, her life is not hers to take. As an only child, she killed three people when she killed herself.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're certainly not the only one who has this attitude towards suicide, but frankly, I couldn't agree less with it.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

State your case?

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to avoid spending all day on here arguing about this, but, in brief...I like living, so I'm not going to kill myself. I have that choice. There are other people who don't like living. Why shouldn't they have the same choice I do?

-McGee
Old 09-19-2007, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

State your case?

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to avoid spending all day on here arguing about this, but, in brief...I like living, so I'm not going to kill myself. I have that choice. There are other people who don't like living. Why shouldn't they have the same choice I do?

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I believe in families, you don't?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

State your case?

[/ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I believe in families, you don't?

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this "argument" far more relevant when it's a parent who commits suicide.

Like I said, I'm not going to argue this all day. It's been my experience, though, that people who share your viewpoint on suicide tend to take it as a given, and if you aren't careful, you are going to make someone who has lost someone very dear to them extremely upset with this attitude.

-McGee
Old 09-19-2007, 10:05 AM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
Why shouldn't they have the same choice I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because in general, you will be inflicting tremendous pain to your friends and family, when there are ways for you to feel better without killing yourself.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not the first time I've read of a parent committing suicide soon after their only child kills themselves:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7002179.stm

But when I think of her mother's death, it strikes me as unbelievably poignant and tragic. She killed herself because she felt she had nothing left to live for. Quite differently from her daughter, she judged that, yes, her life had lost its purpose and would not get better. In losing her only child, she lost her own future.

Perhaps this story is so upsetting because it is small scale. I can't relate to a thousand made homeless by an earthquake. But the death of a family strikes me hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about poor Gary Coombs, 48, Eh? What about that poor [censored] guy?
You think the daughter was a silly thoughtless girl but the mother's suicide was 'sad and poignant'.

At least when the girl killed herself she may not have realised how it would ruin her parents lives. Her mother had no such excuse - she knew how devastating it would be. So explain how she's not selfish for topping herself and leaving Gary to bury his daughter and wife.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's not the first time I've read of a parent committing suicide soon after their only child kills themselves:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7002179.stm

But when I think of her mother's death, it strikes me as unbelievably poignant and tragic. She killed herself because she felt she had nothing left to live for. Quite differently from her daughter, she judged that, yes, her life had lost its purpose and would not get better. In losing her only child, she lost her own future.

Perhaps this story is so upsetting because it is small scale. I can't relate to a thousand made homeless by an earthquake. But the death of a family strikes me hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about poor Gary Coombs, 48, Eh? What about that poor [censored] guy?
You think the daughter was a silly thoughtless girl but the mother's suicide was 'sad and poignant'.

At least when the girl killed herself she may not have realised how it would ruin her parents lives. Her mother had no such excuse - she knew how devastating it would be. So explain how she's not selfish for topping herself and leaving Gary to bury his daughter and wife.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you're right. The mother's grief is clearly more significant and overwhelming than the daughter's; utter hopelessness. But she should have lived. There will have been counselling on offer, support networks to help her, or there should have been.

In a way, with his wife AND daughter dead it will be easier for the husband to move on and start a new family. Although, since the mother was in her early 40s they could have tried for another baby.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, you're right. The mother's grief is clearly more significant and overwhelming than the daughter's; utter hopelessness. But she should have lived. There will have been counselling on offer, support networks to help her, or there should have been.

In a way, with his wife AND daughter dead it will be easier for the husband to move on and start a new family. Although, since the mother was in her early 40s they could have tried for another baby.

[/ QUOTE ]

what? you're just sitting here playing God deciding who has the right to live or die.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what? you're just sitting here playing God deciding who has the right to live or die.

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty standard for luckyjimm - i think he's got a read on who's good and bad at high stakes poker as well