Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 03:43 AM

Default Re: Howard\'s packing on the pounds!

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget that he's tall.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does his being tall affect the fact that he seems to be much more "jowly" these days??!
Old 09-14-2007, 06:42 AM

I have got to move to england. That accent is really the hottest thing ever.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At least he is interested in sports. Here seen at UFC 75 in London.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at these goofballs writing on the US flag as if Ol' Glory can't handle a [censored] Sharpie, what with everywhere it's been
Old 09-14-2007, 02:30 PM

more cushion for the pushin'
Old 09-15-2007, 02:18 AM

Never, you're stomach can re-expand and you can still make bad decisions. Luckily, it seems to have worked for Doyle.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:18 AM

Yeah, but pastry and candy meet those requirements.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:19 AM

not to mention beer.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends what type of surgery he had. If he had the full gastric bypass then putting back weight would be hard to do because of what is known as the "dumping syndrome". If he had a "lap band" procedure then he could cheat by swallowing lots of high calorie fluids.

Anyways, the video didn't look like he was any different than the past few years. Don't forget that he's tall.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not every one experiences dumping syndrome, and in both types of surgeries, you can still overeat, and at some point stretch the pouch to allow you to continue to overeat.

There's a pro who had the surgery and just ate his way back to his original weight, he then went in for a revision after the pouch stretched and within weeks was seen at the tables drinking shakes, and eating multiple hot dogs.

I had the lap band. And in the beginning you are never fully restricted, in fact there is no fluid in the band until you go in for your first fill. So you can eat.
However I followed the plan maybe to strictly and lost something like 50 pounds in the first couple of months.

As you lose weight, you have to go in for more fills to keep your band at an optimal level to help control the hunger.

I am on my 4th fill of a 10cc band with 2.4cc's of liquid in it. I have lost 65+ pounds since May 2. The weight loss is slower with the band, mainly because it's not as malabsorptive as the bypass. But the band weight loss is usually more permanent.

In either operation, these are only tools given to you to help you learn to regain control over bad eating habits.

I can eat 4oz per meal, anything I want. So if I decided to I could eat 12 oz of ice cream all day long.
However that would be a horrible choice.

It's like being a kid with a $5.00 allowance. You better spend that [censored] wisely, make it last or you're gonna be suffering for the next 6 days until your next allowance.

So, I try to eat things that are pretty good for me, and filling. I eat a lot of chicken Caesar salad, with low fat / low calorie Girard's dressing.

I eat a bite of a high calorie dessert, maybe once every 2-3 weeks. In the meantime, I eat Dreyer's no sugar fruit popsicles whenever I crave something, and those are only 20 calories each.

It's amazing how much my habits have changed. I went from drinking up to 12 sodas a day, down to 12 diet sodas a day pre-surgery, to no sodas ever.

Candy every day, and not just a bite here or there, but way too much, to no candy at all.

I was constantly hungry, I still get those psychological cravings every now and then, but for the most part I make better choices when it comes to stopping them. For example, I will eat some Oatmeal bran cereal instead of popcorn, or ice cream. This serves two purposes by giving me something sweet to snack on, but the bran adds bulk / fiber to my diet making me feel full.

Anyway, that's just my take on things. There are a lot of pros who have had the surgery. It takes a lot of retraining, and will power to continue to be successful after cultivating such bad habits over a lifetime. But good luck to them.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:31 PM

the girl interviewing him is hot