Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Strategy: Chaging PF raise sizes according to position

[ QUOTE ]
Is this good poker thinking? What would be the arguements for/against this, as a rule of thumb?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its backwards, When u are OOP, u want to raise as much preflop as u can so there is little money behind u after the flop when position really means something. U take away some of the edge of position by making the pot bigger preflop because the stacks are shallower.

For example, you are 100bb deep, someone raises from the button and u are sb or bb. With your theory u should call and play smaller pot when OOP. But you give an advantage to your opponent. because he has more advantage of the position now that u are deeper. If you 3bet him preflop, and u see a flop. There is not as much room for positional advantage because the money is going to go in before the river if there is betting after the flop.

Hopefully I wasnt too confusing, bottom line: The deeper the stacks after the flop, the more advantage the player with position has.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:27 AM

I tend to raise more in early position than late position for two reasons.

First, my hands in early position are usually better and I don't want a bunch of people calling behind me with marginal hands. I'll use pot control after the flop if I don't hit it strongly.

I'll also raise a bigger than usual amount if it is folded to me on the SB because I want to either encourage the BB to fold or have a decent idea of where he is at if he calls.

In any case, the players in my game typically view anything below a 5x blind raise as a slightly more expensive limp. If you raise less than 6x the blind, you are guaranteed to be called by at least 3 players. We had one hand a couple nights ago that was raised to 6x the blind after two limpers and all 10 players called.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow why arent't you guys adjusting the pf raise size to stack sizes?

I don't think adjusting the pf raise sizes to position makes any sence.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can adjust your raises based on position and stack sizes
bottom line: The deeper the stacks after the flop, the more advantage the player with position has.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bottom line: The deeper the stacks after the flop, the more advantage the player with position has.

[/ QUOTE ]

true but there are also other factors like ranges of players, your hand, how many and what kind of players are to act behind you (and their stacksize).

I think your hand and the stacksize have top priority because they will make your desicions on the flop much easier. (thinking of commitment and SPR)
In that case it will not matter if you have position or not of course their are exceptions.

Of course when your playing very deep and start raising with hands other then your premium hands (like suited connectors) position becomes more important.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

true but there are also other factors like ranges of players, your hand, how many and what kind of players are to act behind you (and their stacksize).

I think your hand and the stacksize have top priority because they will make your desicions on the flop much easier. (thinking of commitment and SPR)
In that case it will not matter if you have position or not of course their are exceptions.

Of course when your playing very deep and start raising with hands other then your premium hands (like suited connectors) position becomes more important.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but this topic was about how the position effects your preflop decisions. Ofcourse stack sizes matter. So let just assume everyone is 100bb deep and we go from there when discussing about the position.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because in cash games we always have the same stack size. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2007, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly, Gordon has this this all backwards. Especially when you play in an aggressive games, sh for example. You want to raise smaller amounts in late position (CO, & button) because u are being 3betted often from the blinds. And u just dont want to give up when getting crappy odds with hands like 87s or 22.

You manipulate your implied odds before u raise by raising like 2,5x BB or 3 and not 4. Then when u get 3betted, u still have good implied odds to take a flop with those hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well said.

Good thread.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:33 AM

I've experimented with a 3xBB opening raise in EP and found that it narrows the field just fine. It's helped me transition into rarely ever open limping and lets me call 3-bets easier with small pockets.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:43 PM

nh.