Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Jordan\'s Log

Great choice in the starting strength routine. I have some general comments and suggestions for you.

I notices some of your reps are in sets of 8, why not the proposed 5? Rippetoe designed the program for the beginer for the purpose of them not tweaking it. Same as why arent you doing the ramp sets for the warmup? Part of the success of the program and getting stornger is due to the amount of weight you lift in total, not just your working set.

Before you squat, squat your body weight and go below parallel and have your palms touching each other and bow your elbows to your knees. That is the stance you will ahve at the end, whcih will help with your form.

Don;t be concerned with moving up in weights fast, the goal is to do it slow to prevent stalling. Leave the ego in the bedroom and lift what you can manage.

Be careful with the deads. Remember to pull the weight up your legs and to lean back and drive your heals through the floor.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:29 PM

The sets of 8 are warmup sets, but as you get closer to your working set, you should only do a couple reps so you don't spend all your energy before the work sets.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:29 PM

Hey Eric, thanks for the kind words. you're right! I am overdue for an update.

I went running last Wednesday for an unknown distance in 26 minutes (I got kind of lost... guessing somewhere between 2 and 2.5 miles)

10/4/07 Workout B

Squat
3x5x135
Making sure not to butt wink, but probably not getting deep enough.

Military Press
3x5x100
Very Very tough but I managed.

Pendlay Rows
3x5x105
Happy that this is increasing quickly.

10/6/07 Workout A
Squat
3x5x135
Still no butt winking, trying to get deeper.

Bench
1x4.5x180, 1x3x180, 1x8x135
This was tough. Maybe it's time for microplates or something...

Deadlift
1x5x165
Deadlifts are my favorite exercise now =)

Planning on some yoga and running tonight. Will resume lifting tomorrow.

Weight is holding steady around 223 lbs. I am starting Hot Rox today to see if that can give me a little boost.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:32 PM

Northern,

Thanks for the tips on the deadlifts. I'll make sure to keep this in mind next time I do them.

I'll also try this squat tip as my squat form is something I'm paying very close attention to.

As another just said the 8 reps were warmup sets, I'm not listing the warmup sets anymore.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The sets of 8 are warmup sets, but as you get closer to your working set, you should only do a couple reps so you don't spend all your energy before the work sets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe we have different programs. I worked straight out of his book and Rippetoe recommended to do ramp sets.

2x5 with bar
1x5 add weight
3x1 " more
2x1 " "
3x5 working set
Old 10-08-2007, 03:16 PM

There are a few versions of the SS workout, one of them recommends to do dips and chins. Perhaps look into it as the dips could help improve your bench.

As far as micro's, maybe I'm lazy or just cheap but I use chains to help with small increases rather than purchasing microplates. But I also have a home gym so it;s not like I am carrying chains into the gym with me, lol.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe we have different programs. I worked straight out of his book and Rippetoe recommended to do ramp sets.

2x5 with bar
1x5 add weight
3x1 " more
2x1 " "
3x5 working set

[/ QUOTE ]
We're calling the same thing different names.

The work sets in Starting Strength are flat, all the same weight. He recommends doing warmup sets in general, not specifically just for Starting Strength.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:03 AM

10/9/07

Workout B
Squat
3x5x145

Military Press
3x5x105
Intense. I think I'm putting some strain on my lower back because my back arches a little while I do this. Is this a big problem?

Pendlay Rows
3x5x115
Finishing the reps was tough at the top, had to cheat a little. 10 lb increase probably too aggressive.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for Boston until Sunday; will try to do some running there. Unsure if I'll get any lifting done.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:24 AM

Your military press is high compared to everything else.

I'm jealous biatch.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:11 PM

update time!

Boston trip was awesome! made it to the gym once, didn't end up running though =/

10/12/07
Workout A
at a Boston gym.

Squat
3x5x145

Bench
1x4x175
2x6x155
Wasn't comfortable with the setup. I didn't have a spotter so I used those spotting arms things. Psyched me out.

Deadlifts
1x5x175

Came back Sunday, and ran 2.5 miles in around 30 minutes.

Last night I went to yoga, and later went running. I busted my ass for a 7:58 mile. A little disappointing, because I felt like I was pumping out at least a 7:30 maybe even a 7:15. I must have been fatigued as I jogged a little before my mile on the way to my loop. or perhaps I've been kidding myself about my mile times before.

10/16/07

Workout B
Squat
3x5x155

Military Press
1x5x110 1x4x110 1x3x110
I knew I couldn't keep moving up 5 pounds per workout on this lift. Not sure what the best course of action here is. I guess I'll just stick with this until I can do it 3x5. Maybe add some extra warmups to increase volume.

Pendlay Rows
3x5x120
Fun.

My diet has been slipping a little bit. I'm eating way better than I used to, but instead of salads at lunch I've been having delicious curry chicken. I think this may slow my progress a little bit, but I'm still very happy with the pace.

I weighed in at just below 220 on the YMCA scale after my lifting session today. If I had to guess I'd say my bf% is around 22% now.