Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Re: A Message from PPA Exec Dir.

Everyone,

Thank you all for your kind words. I think this is a great opportunity for all of us, as we can now magnify our efforts by 700,000 PPA members!

As John mentioned, we'll be aggressively going after the Kentucky gubernatorial election. I've already written the email that will soon go out to every Kentucky PPA member. We're going to win this...big...and we're going to make sure everyone knows we poker players played a major part. We'll defeat the nanny-staters in their own back yard, then we'll make sure the politicians know it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
D$D,

I think very highly of Engineer's grassroots skills and believe he would indeed be an asset to any political or interest group organization, including the PPA. Nevertheless, he will still just be one token. Cut 3 of the 4 CP mag reps, and 2 of the 3 site reps, and tell party poker to [censored] themselves, and then add some others like Engineer but with different expertise that the PPA needs, then you will have a real board.

[/ QUOTE ]

from Engineer:

[ QUOTE ]
5) We, the PPA members, control the organization. When we don’t like something, we need to write or post on their forums demanding action. I have been, as have a few others here. I’ve seen what a few hundred dedicated folks here can accomplish, and can only imagine what could be done with 660,000. I’m still constrained to imaging, but am hopeful.

[/ QUOTE ]

We, the PPA members, cannot control the organisation until the paid employees representing the business behind poker are removed. Until then the PPA remains a Poker Affiliate/Room Association, not the Poker Players Association. I don't mind them sitting in as advisers, but the board should be filled with players voted in by the members of the PPA. BluffThis! has been right all along, although I am a member of the PPA and I cross my fingers it will change I am also honest in knowing that the PPA's goals is not really the same as the players. BluffThis! isn't the only one with this position, its shared by many important people including our own fearless leader.

Engineer - congrats, I am very happy to see your on the board. Will you disclose to us how you are being compensated? Keep in mind its a job with a salary for other board members if your not being paid, if so then the first order of business should be to fire Jan, Allyn, etc etc etc. No more wasting resources, time to focus on the real tasks!

BluffThis! - Congrats. You may be gruff and abrasive, but nobody has been more correct about the state of the PPA than you have. VERY impressive... your a huge asset to us all. Keep up the good work!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:35 PM

I just want to echo the comments of others saying both that the engineer is an excellent addition to the board and that this is a big step in the right direction for the PPA.

I am a full member of the PPA and have been disappointed in the past. Lets hope this trend of progress continues, and continue to work to make it happen.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:43 PM

Mr. Pappas,

Glad to see you reaching out to this forum. There are many people here who can help the PPA, as I'm sure you are aware. I think this is a great first step in your effort to improve communications, and I hope it is only one of many.

Also, great choice concerning Engineer. He is a tireless individual and I'm sure he'll make a great addition to the PPA.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Pappas,

Glad to see you reaching out to this forum. There are many people here who can help the PPA, as I'm sure you are aware. I think this is a great first step in your effort to improve communications, and I hope it is only one of many.

Also, great choice concerning Engineer. He is a tireless individual and I'm sure he'll make a great addition to the PPA.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree
Old 09-06-2007, 11:13 PM

Welcome
Old 09-07-2007, 04:18 AM

Engineer, I look forward to the energy you will undoubtedly bring to the PPA. It would be awesome if you could organize a boycott drive of the NFL. That would go a long way to showing that we are not easy targets for anybody and that our fight for our freedoms merits attention.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We, the PPA members, cannot control the organisation until the paid employees representing the business behind poker are removed.

[/ QUOTE ]

We really can influence it by telling them what we want. Let's not be shy. I've been bugging them all for the past few months, and they have responded positively. It's not done yet, by any means, but we have things in place to move forward.

[ QUOTE ]
I am also honest in knowing that the PPA's goals is not really the same as the players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't think of an instance where we want something that's being actively opposed by PPA. If PPA is actively working on 30% of what we want and is not hurting the other 70% (by opposing it), then we're FAR better off than we'd be if they didn't exist, as the 30% stuff wouldn't be getting done, either.

Needless to say, I'm not joining the board to get only 30% of our goals accomplished. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Engineer - congrats, I am very happy to see your on the board. Will you disclose to us how you are being compensated? Keep in mind its a job with a salary for other board members

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. As for compensation, if I ever receive anything from anyone, I'll disclose it. To be honest, I've never done this for a paycheck or a title. We here on this forum and others have all been working together to advocate for our rights, and we worked even beyond our expected potential. Now, it's time to expand this to a larger group. With the 700,000 members of PPA, we can achieve a lot.

Again, I think we really want to nail the KY election. It will demonstrate our abilities as a grassroots organization as well as a lobbying one. To that end, I'll also be serving as the KY state director for the time being. This, plus a seat on the board, plus John's backing and help, pretty much ensures we'll have the resources in place to take care of business in Kentucky. When KY is done, we'll have progess on B&M poker rooms, momentum on Internet poker via defeating FoF in a red state, and leverage for Sen. McConnell, Rep. Geoff Davis (R-KY) of the House Financial Services Committee, and Mike Duncan.

Things are coming together. I'm really looking forward to us all taking the next step.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just want to echo the comments of others saying both that the engineer is an excellent addition to the board and that this is a big step in the right direction for the PPA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. I'm very excited and optimistic about the recent developments.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:06 AM

If you're going for fight for the legality of poker, fight for those unfair taxes laws toward poker/gambling in general too.