Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Importing poverty

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, until there are too many of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why let any in at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because some of them are assets and some are liabilities.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretense of knowledge ftw. The idea that some bureaucrats are capable of sorting out who'll be an asset and who'll be a liability absurd.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why let any in at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretense of knowledge ftw. The idea that some bureaucrats are capable of sorting out who'll be an asset and who'll be a liability absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not, as long as you don't expect 100% accuracy. I think it's safe to say that a Japanese guy with an advanced degree in engineering will likely be an asset and an uneducated Indian peasant will likely be a liability.

It's a probability judgment that is necessary to prevent a flood of public defecaters just for the sake of one or two Ramanujans.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:05 AM

Lol. Like I said, this is a clear example of the pretense of knowledge.

And if we shouldn't let in people who may be a "liability", why shouldn't we deport citizens who are deemed to be a liability? Couldn't we make a perfect little country where everyone was an asset?
Old 09-06-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lol. Like I said, this is a clear example of the pretense of knowledge.

And if we shouldn't let in people who may be a "liability", why shouldn't we deport citizens who are deemed to be a liability? Couldn't we make a perfect little country where everyone was an asset?

[/ QUOTE ]

That probably wouldn't be a good idea because deportation of citizens would create uncertainty and have a chilling effect on investment. But small scale deportation of criminals convicted of serious offenses would probably be beneficial. The main problem is that there probably aren't any other countries that would want to accept them.

BTW, are you maintaining complete agnosticism about the probabilistic value of an educated Japanese person and Indian peasant?
Old 09-06-2007, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That probably wouldn't be a good idea because deportation of citizens would create uncertainty and have a chilling effect on investment.

[/ QUOTE ]
Psh, what do the "assets" have to worry about? Just trust the government to sort out the wheat from the chaff...

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, are you maintaining complete agnosticism about the probabilistic value of an educated Japanese person and Indian peasant?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that in the majority of cases, both would be assets and that the government could never fairly figure out what probability each should have. Why would they pony up the large amount of money (relatively speaking) it takes to get
here if they weren't going to improve their condition? To the extent that some bad apples get through, I think you have horrible government policies like the war on drugs and quasi-socialized healthcare and education to blame for much of it.

America, the Land of Opportunity...if you're rich. Otherwise, piss off.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That probably wouldn't be a good idea because deportation of citizens would create uncertainty and have a chilling effect on investment.

[/ QUOTE ]
Psh, what do the "assets" have to worry about? Just trust the government to sort out the wheat from the chaff...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that in the majority of cases, both would be assets and that the government could never fairly figure out what probability each should have. Why would they pony up the large amount of money (relatively speaking) it takes to get
here if they weren't going to improve their condition? To the extent that some bad apples get through, I think you have horrible government policies like the war on drugs and quasi-socialized healthcare and education to blame for much of it.

America, the Land of Opportunity...if you contribute to society. Otherwise, piss off.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 09-06-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

America, the Land of Opportunity...if you contribute to society. Otherwise, piss off.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, pretense of knowledge (standard for Copernicus). Some of you should probably read that speech...
Old 09-06-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, pretense of knowledge (standard for Copernicus). Some of you should probably read that speech...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you link it so it can be torn apart?
Old 09-06-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you link it so it can be torn apart?

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh don't worry, it's just some professor's speech after he won some award. He probably couldn't think all that well either.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why let any in at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think that certain basic criteria such as: education, job skills, and lack of criminal history, have statistically significant predictive value at all, eh?

Immigrant candidate A: Master's degree, good work record, zero criminal history

Immigrant candidate B: high-school dropout, poor work history and no trade or professional skills, criminal record of grand theft auto and armed robbery.

Even the dumbest of bureaucrats can predict that candidate A will more likely be an asset to America and candidate B will more likely be a liability.

But what the heck, just let them all in regardless, since it can't be predicted with 100% confidence: that's what you're saying, right?