Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 04:30 AM

Default Re: NL600 PP--->sick spot

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop call is debatable, perhaps. Definitely not bad at all however. Against a typical 19/16 player's utg range KJs is behind, but not by much. This is a pretty standard preflop call for me. KJs can flop a bunch of excellent nut / near nut draws as well as hitting TPGK on the flop often.

[/ QUOTE ]

We hit a draw 20% of the time. If we don't get him to lay down his hand on the flop, we are oop and in a tough spot on the turn a lot here.

The other 80% of the time, we still don't have a hand good enough for a big pot here, so we are using this hand as a bluff catcher - out of position. I see this basically the same as JQ in that case.

If you are good enough to play this hand profitably OOP against this guys range, then kudos to ya.

[ QUOTE ]
Saying that the flop checkraise is horrible is stupid. All worse hands and draws definitely don't always fold, that's ridiculous. Especially because both OP and villain are very aggressive and are capable of getting it in very light. TPGK and the 2nd nut flush draw are probably crushing villain's calling range, believe it or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, true that all draws don't always fold, but they are far more likely with a large check/raise than if he led. Similarly with TT. c/r'ing is good when you want FE or when you have a monster. I wouldn't call this a monster, and why on earth do we want FE?

TPGK and 2nd nut flush draw might be crushing his range before a c/r. After it, against this opponent, it's a flip at best. If we led, we could get a call from lower draws and weaker hands like TT or a weaker J.

[ QUOTE ]
All in all, preflop and flop are not bad at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Flop play is far worse than leading. I would even call it borderline awful.

Pf is marginal at best. Check your PT database. I am curious if you have 50k+ sample at a single limit - how do you do with KJs calling a pf raise from SB?
Old 09-06-2007, 04:57 AM

We hit a pair with a good kicker roughly a third of the time, flop a good draw a fifth of the time, we can bluff / semibluff c/r certain flops, especially if villain cbets into two players a lot and doesn't stick around with much of his range to a raise.

I wouldn't recommend everybody calling preflop. If you're unsure how to play the hand postflop without the initiative and are uncomfortable with marginal spots then you should just fold this.

The flop raise is for value and it's a semibluff. We get value from some worse hands, we also give villain a chance to 3bet all in with a draw or an overplayed overpair that we're ahead of. I check/raise a lot of flops, and I would certainly do it with a hand this strong a lot of the time. Leading is good too, don't get me wrong. It's probably a better line to take than c/r in a vaccum. But still, it's NOT terrible at all. In fact, in general, the difference in EV of different lines for value in NL is rarely that big, and this is certainly no exception.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop raise is for value and it's a semibluff. We get value from some worse hands

[/ QUOTE ]
We would have more weaker hands if we lead then if we c/r imo

[ QUOTE ]
I check/raise a lot of flops

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be the difference. If you do it a lot, then they are prob more likely to get it in here with a bigger range in that case.