Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 08:13 AM

Default Re: 28 hour days - doable?

I tend towards a 26-28ish hour cycle if I don't try to force myself to stick to 24 hours. Luckily, I play poker for a living, so no big deal. I may just have a strange internal clock though; when I was on summer break during 7th grade I decided to see what my sleep cycle would become if I completely ignored night and day and ended up on a 30 hours awake, 15 hours asleep cycle. That was fun.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:20 PM

The best is obviously 1 year awake and 1 year of sleep. This can only be done at a coffee shop, I recommend a star bucks, though it's very unlikely for a single star bucks to hire a 24hr employee so what i did was get hired at 3 different locations. Luckily they were very close together, so it was about 15 minutes commute between each location. Anyways, I earned 10 dollars per hour (I got a raise half way through the year so its averaged.) This allowed me to earn $83 950, which after taxes, worked out to $67 540 and because i worked 24/7 i didn't need to rent or nothing, so thats $67 000 in your pocket money! Anyways, i finished the year, yes i was tired but hey, every time i thought, "boy i could go to sleep" i'd just look at the calender in my pocket and say "3 months and 15 days" and really thats what got me through it all. Did i mention that on my sleep year off, i just put all my money in some low risk investments, and bam, i got $69 000 now (after housing and food cost, who knew they could be so expensive) So what i'm really trying to tell everyone here is, if you work hard enough and set realistic goals, you too could vacation for an entire year.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The best is obviously 1 year awake and 1 year of sleep. This can only be done at a coffee shop, I recommend a star bucks, though it's very unlikely for a single star bucks to hire a 24hr employee so what i did was get hired at 3 different locations. Luckily they were very close together, so it was about 15 minutes commute between each location. Anyways, I earned 10 dollars per hour (I got a raise half way through the year so its averaged.) This allowed me to earn $83 950, which after taxes, worked out to $67 540 and because i worked 24/7 i didn't need to rent or nothing, so thats $67 000 in your pocket money! Anyways, i finished the year, yes i was tired but hey, every time i thought, "boy i could go to sleep" i'd just look at the calender in my pocket and say "3 months and 15 days" and really thats what got me through it all. Did i mention that on my sleep year off, i just put all my money in some low risk investments, and bam, i got $69 000 now (after housing and food cost, who knew they could be so expensive) So what i'm really trying to tell everyone here is, if you work hard enough and set realistic goals, you too could vacation for an entire year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 09-10-2007, 02:21 PM

Warrantofice- made me lol in a library
Old 09-11-2007, 01:47 AM

I am a complete mess and when I have no external constraints I follow no cycle whatsoever... there is absolutely no pattern to when I will fall asleep or wake up... I might just as easily be awake for 24 or 30 hours as I am to sleep for 15 hours, wake up and fall back asleep 3 hours later... at different points in my lifetime I've been awake for as many as 78 hours and I've slept for as long as 36 hours (no chemical influence in either case)... even with external constraints (I work a normal 9-5) I have great difficulty keeping "normal" hours... luckily my manager is aware and understanding of my condition and they let my frequent lateness slide cause they know I will always make up the time and get my work done...

My doctor once wanted to have me go to a sleep clinic... not so they could treat me, but to research me... I just didn't feel like giving up a month of my life for it..
Old 09-11-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've slept for as long as 36 hours

[/ QUOTE ] Without waking up once?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a complete mess and when I have no external constraints I follow no cycle whatsoever... there is absolutely no pattern to when I will fall asleep or wake up... I might just as easily be awake for 24 or 30 hours as I am to sleep for 15 hours, wake up and fall back asleep 3 hours later... at different points in my lifetime I've been awake for as many as 78 hours and I've slept for as long as 36 hours (no chemical influence in either case)... even with external constraints (I work a normal 9-5) I have great difficulty keeping "normal" hours... luckily my manager is aware and understanding of my condition and they let my frequent lateness slide cause they know I will always make up the time and get my work done...

My doctor once wanted to have me go to a sleep clinic... not so they could treat me, but to research me... I just didn't feel like giving up a month of my life for it..

[/ QUOTE ]

Google "Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome" (DSPS).
Old 09-12-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Google "Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome" (DSPS).

[/ QUOTE ]
Wubbie075 's condition seems to be a bit worse than the Delayed Sleep Phase "Syndrome".
Old 09-13-2007, 04:53 AM

I frequently run on the schedule where I sleep at 2-4 AM at night, wake up at 10 AM-noon then one day everything will get wacked out and I'll be on a sleep at 8 AM sched. I believe the 28 hour 'day' is doable for most poker players if you can psychologically adjust from sleeping 8 hrs to 9 hrs.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:18 PM

link

This is an old thread about the subject.

As many people in that thread I also live on a 25-26 hour sleep schedule since 2005.
Basicly I turned pro with no real responsibilites so I could sleep as much as I wanted and I averaged 9h+.
Overall what I noticed is that I have more energy when I'm awake during the day.
I tried to fix this but it only worked as long as I had something really important to wake up for in the morning.