Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: ? about Bill Starr 5X5

[ QUOTE ]
Working quads by isolation would be pointless and inefficient but you can get big quads this way.

Im sure there is some science behind your body not allowing itself to get too far out of proportion, but someone can put many inches on his arms through solely isolation exercises. Again its totally pointless to do so, but its possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

Logic isn't your forte obv.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:43 PM

oh yes, a la the guys in the gym with huge chest and arms and chicken legs because they never workout legs. Pretty funny.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:50 PM

What wasnt logical about what I said?

If you are refering to the too far out of proportion, then we have to define what you think too far is and what your definition of huge is.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What wasnt logical about what I said?

If you are refering to the too far out of proportion, then we have to define what you think too far is and what your definition of huge is.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about "huge" can be "max natural genetic potential" and too far out of proportion to be "your body won't let you get there". Let me clarify what you wrote.

1) Doing iso movement for quads would be pointless.
2) Your body would stop your quads from getting too huge.
3) You could get too huge arms doing just iso.

You neglect that doing quads and arms are almost effectively going to respond in the exact same way and your body will have the same response to them trying to grow at the expense of the rest of the body. I'm sure I could've taken Lee Priest and trained him to be a "huge" dude. So could anyone. He builds more muscle sitting down to take a dump than most people do in a month.

The main point is that doing solely isolation movements won't provide the horomonal response or the necessary load to make it happen.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:51 PM

Max genetic potential is pretty tough to acheive no matter what kind of program you are on.

I was going on the assumption that someone can have huge biceps without reaching the max genetic potential.

This is a really stupid argument, because no one should just do isolation exercises, but I was just trying to make the point that scientifically its possible to get large biceps by just doing direct bicep work.

Again this argument has gotten beyond stupid and I apologize.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Max genetic potential is pretty tough to acheive no matter what kind of program you are on.

I was going on the assumption that someone can have huge biceps without reaching the max genetic potential.

This is a really stupid argument, because no one should just do isolation exercises, but I was just trying to make the point that scientifically its possible to get large biceps by just doing direct bicep work.

Again this argument has gotten beyond stupid and I apologize.

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries. I'm saying that only isolation work will always be inferior to the combination. I don't like to use vague terms like "huge" etc since they vary so much person to person. Like I'm "huge" to how I was when I was 15, but am "tiny" to where I want to be.