Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: controversial opinion about uselessness of online poker

How many hands do you think you get in per hour over this full 14 hour day?

~700 to 1000???

So you will need to play 14 hours a day every day for over 3 months before you have any idea of what your win rate may be.

People go on what is called a "heater" it is at these times that it may feel as if "people are throwing money at you".

I am not at all trying to be a "hater". I am just trying to help you set expectations. There are some very very dark places in poker created by variance. Without the proper mind set and understanding, the first 2 week downswing you encounter will break you mentally and financially.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

~700 to 1000???

So you will need to play 14 hours a day every day for over 3 months before you have any idea of what your win rate may be.

People go on what is called a "heater" it is at these times that it may feel as if "people are throwing money at you".

I am not at all trying to be a "hater". I am just trying to help you set expectations. There are some very very dark places in poker created by variance. Without the proper mind set and understanding, the first 2 week downswing you encounter will break you mentally and financially.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that people are trying to be helpful and not "hating", I appreciate that. But I am not naive enough to think that playing live poker for a living will be easy because I have won lots over a couple months. The feeling that people are throwing money at me comes entirely from the quality of play I am seeing. I'm talking about all-ins preflop with AJ or JJ against obvious kings or aces, calling a big raise on the turn with just an OESD or flush draw, rich guys telling you to fold to their monster because they want to save you money, people mucking full houses and straight flushes because they don't read the board right on the river (both happened in my game this weekend). It's a total joke. Obviously maintaining discipline and focus in the midst of this insanity is necessary, but I think I am pretty good at that.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Re: \"with little work\"

You REALLY think a $.05 - .10 online game is the equivalent difficulty of a $10-$20 live NL game ???

If so, WHERE do you play live games ?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

~700 to 1000???

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that people are trying to be helpful and not "hating", I appreciate that. But I am not naive enough to think that playing live poker for a living will be easy because I have won lots over a couple months. The feeling that people are throwing money at me comes entirely from the quality of play I am seeing. I'm talking about all-ins preflop with AJ or JJ against obvious kings or aces, calling a big raise on the turn with just an OESD or flush draw, rich guys telling you to fold to their monster because they want to save you money, people mucking full houses and straight flushes because they don't read the board right on the river (both happened in my game this weekend). It's a total joke. Obviously maintaining discipline and focus in the midst of this insanity is necessary, but I think I am pretty good at that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please try to imagine the week when.....

The AJ or JJ wins against the obvious AA everytime it gets AIPF.

Every OESD that is called on the flop, hits on the turn.

Every Flush draw that is called on the flop and turn... hits on the river.

Every over pair gets cracked by a flopped set.

Now imagine each one of these things happens in consecutive hands in the matter of 1 hour. This may be a slightly skewed view of reality, but it is 100% accurate in terms of perception during a bad run.

Oh and to boot, the guy that shows up on Saturday drunk and decides to just shove every hand. Well he hits four times in a row against you and then decides to call it a night.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

~700 to 1000???

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Please try to imagine the week when.....

The AJ or JJ wins against the obvious AA everytime it gets AIPF.

Every OESD that is called on the flop, hits on the turn.

Every Flush draw that is called on the flop and turn... hits on the river.

Every over pair gets cracked by a flopped set.

Now imagine each one of these things happens in consecutive hands in the matter of 1 hour. This may be a slightly skewed view of reality, but it is 100% accurate in terms of perception during a bad run.

Oh and to boot, the guy that shows up on Saturday drunk and decides to just shove every hand. Well he hits four times in a row against you and then decides to call it a night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it will hurt, but I say bring it on [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]!
Old 08-27-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know it will hurt, but I say bring it on [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]!

[/ QUOTE ]

Trip report after first downswing please.

(knock on wood that it wouldn't happen)
Old 08-28-2007, 01:34 PM

haha I look forward to the poker gods blasting you with the wrath of all hell when you ask for a downswing.....
Old 08-28-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
haha I look forward to the poker gods blasting you with the wrath of all hell when you ask for a downswing.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get why everyone on this forum is so scared of a temporary bankroll dip. "Ooh, I lost some money I am so sad I will go home and cry and eat ice cream." Downswing, shmownswing. Probably won't happen for a long time, but when it does I promise a report.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get why everyone on this forum is so scared of a temporary bankroll dip. "Ooh, I lost some money I am so sad I will go home and cry and eat ice cream." Downswing, shmownswing. Probably won't happen for a long time, but when it does I promise a report.

[/ QUOTE ]

the best part is how much poker wisdom you can ignore in one forum. I say this is a level. Can't be real.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the best part is how much poker wisdom you can ignore in one forum. I say this is a level. Can't be real.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was kind of trying to be funny, but I also really feel that way. I mean, I have a big enough bankroll, and I've lost money before and know what it feels like, so if I lose again no big deal. If my winrate turns out to be less than what I expected, no big deal. That's all I'm sayin'.