Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Greatest Fighter in UFC History

whatever. He was a roid raging freak. He's not even the best at BJJ, and he never was. Also, he never had any respect for the sport, and has never shown any class. Did you see all those times when his opponents were trying to tap out and he kept hurting them? What a scumbag.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:20 AM

Gracie is the most overrated mma fighter, he did extremely well in the early days of the ufc, when the level of competition was very low, and nobody knew how to counter/defend bjj. I really believe that even at his prime he would be a average at best welterweight fighter in todays ufc.

The one world class fighter he has faced, which was Matt Hughes, just man handled him. Yeah, you could say he's not in his prime anymore but look at couture. The difference with couture is that he was great back in the day when a lot of fighters were terrible, but he's a legit mma fighter and still has a reasonable shot against any fighter today. Gracie looked like the [censored] back then fighting some Chuck Norris ive been taking karate lessons for a decade on the weekend guys... but come on.

Oh and to people who say he made the sport, this is sort of true, and sort of misleading. At first it was awesome seeing him tap out bigger guys that had no idea what submission defense even was, but than this spawned a ton of wannabe Gracie type submission fighters to fight in the ufc and it got extremely boring. Seeing guys lay in guard for 10 or 15 minutes because their were no rounds or rules against a super boring fight. They had to change the rules, add rounds, and make it so if a guy was laying in guard not doing anything they'd stand the fight up.

Thankfully, although it took a few years we finally got the more well rounded more exciting to watch hybrid fighters that now are the top guys in pretty much every weight division. Guys that have their one discipline that they are best at, often wrestling or bjj, but they also usually study boxing, muay thai, judo and so on.

Greatest fighter in ufc history- that's tough, I would say Couture is certainly the most accomplished. And as soon as the ufc signs fedor he will be the greatest fighter to have ever entered the octagon imo.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And as soon as the ufc signs fedor he will be the greatest fighter to have ever entered the octagon imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this supposed to happen soon? Last I saw was this interview (http://www.sherdog.com/news/interviews.asp?n_id=8422) a month ago ... a few questions down they say negotiations are ongoing.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:19 AM

Anderson Silva
Old 08-27-2007, 10:02 AM

Billy Blanks ldo

Old 08-27-2007, 11:55 AM

I have a feeling that Anderson Silva will become one of the best pound for pound fighters. If he beats Franklin again in similar fashion as the last fight then I will be even more convinced.

It's hard to gauge who the greatest fighter in UFC history is. Being that the UFC is only 15 years old, it's really hard to see who was truly dominant. Having said that, I'll go with Couture. He is a more dominant fighter than he was in his early days of being HW champion, and is definitely more dominant than he was as a LHW. If they put him up against Big Nog, and he can defeat him then Couture will be a solid lock for the greatest.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:24 PM

Fred Ettish ldo.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
randy C hands down

beat - cant spell couture

[/ QUOTE ]

beat - spelling couture correctly when explaining why you can't spell his name.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:16 PM

i think it's close between liddell and hughes

couture is great but his record isn't really dominating

fwiw i'm pretty sure that when he's finished- GSP is going to go down as one of the best ever.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think it's close between liddell and hughes

couture is great but his record isn't really dominating

fwiw i'm pretty sure that when he's finished- GSP is going to go down as one of the best ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep thinking the same thing about Penn, but he and GSP both need to actually wake up and win the fights they are supposed to win in order to have a hughes/liddell type run.

Anderson Silva looks like he could be the next champ who defends 5 times in a row as well.