Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Rank the NFL Divisions

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The AFC North has 3 potential playoff teams as well as 2 potential superbowl teams (Balt. and Cincy). That alone should make them the head of the class. No other division boasts that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have Cincy, who hasn't won a playoff game in 15 years, as potential SB team but not Pittsburgh, who won the damn thing 2 years ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, winning the superbowl 2 years ago is always a prerequisite for being a contender 2 years later.

And if I recall, I did say they are playoff contenders. If you would like to swap them out instead of cincy then be my guest. I don't care. The question was, 'which division is the strongest' and the AFC North is the clear cut winner.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NFC East (all potential playoff teams that beat up on one another)
AFC North (3 potential playoff teams and the Browns are better than given credit for/ they usually lose close games)
AFC East (I think the Dolphins and Jets have potential/ the Patriots are my pick this year)
AFC South (I just bumped this division above AFC West considering Jacksonville/ Indy/ and up and coming Titans)
AFC West (Oakland has to be the worst team in the NFL, Chiefs and Broncos are on their way down)
NFC South (Saints and Panthers the only playoff contenders here)
NFC North (Chicago alone beats out the NFC West)
NFC West (Seattle and maybe St. Louis if healthy; I don't believe in the S.F. hype, even though I like Smith and Gore- maybe next year, if they keep spending)

[/ QUOTE ]

Oakland is not going to be close to the worst team in the league this year, and might finish above .500.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should bet the farm then, I think the O/U for Oakland is 5 this year in Vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is, and I have money on the over.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people underestimate the Redskins so much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dan Snyder is the worst owner in the NFL.
Who is the Redskins' QB again?
Gibbs still thinks it's 1982 and can't coach the current game.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:24 PM

Snyder is fine, wtf are you talking about? He's built the team rather well in recent seasons.

Jason Campbell is good, again, you don't know what you're talking about.

Lol?
Old 08-26-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Snyder is fine, wtf are you talking about? He's built the team rather well in recent seasons.

Jason Campbell is good, again, you don't know what you're talking about.

Lol?

[/ QUOTE ]

Snyder has gotten better but he didn't exactly set himself a high bar to jump over.

Skins have a collection of ok WRs, a young QB, a pretty solid O line, and a good RB who's hurt and a soild backup. Good TE.

Their defensive front 4 has been weak for years, their LBs are maybe league average, and while their defensive backfield is certainly talented they spend way too much on safeties.

They also perform *very* badly on draft day.

Snyder is not good and neither is this team.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:34 PM

You do realize that the Redskins were an infirmary unit last season.

I suggest you buy FO.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people underestimate the Redskins so much?

[/ QUOTE ]Defense blew goats last year, I suppose if they improve quite a bit there they should be a contender. I don't follow Skins much, wasn't everyone raving about Gregg Williams defense like two or three years ago? What happened, injuries?
Old 08-26-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suggest you buy FO.

[/ QUOTE ]

FO gives the Skins a mean win projection of 8.2; roughly tied with Seattle, San Fran and Chicago (yes, Chicago).

Not exactly world beaters, but they're in the wildcard mix.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:51 PM

I consider a division of three playoff contenders a pretty good division, no?
Old 08-26-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Snyder has gotten better but he didn't exactly set himself a high bar to jump over.

Skins have a collection of ok WRs, a young QB, a pretty solid O line, and a good RB who's hurt and a soild backup. Good TE.

Their defensive front 4 has been weak for years, their LBs are maybe league average, and while their defensive backfield is certainly talented they spend way too much on safeties.

They also perform *very* badly on draft day.

Snyder is not good and neither is this team.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say the skins are "not good." As you wrote, they have a lot of talent on the offensive side. Moss is spectacular, Portis is a good to great RB, Cooley is one of the best in the league, O-line is solid to good, etc. Campbell is decent, but still young, and Washington media pressure is godawful (second only to NY IMO).

Their main problem is Gibbs' style IMO does not fit this team. I've been a skins fan all my life, and Gibbs is still a god to me even though I was a youngin the last time he won. He is way too conservative, and the Skins do not have the type of team to play the style of football he wants. With the speed of their offense and relative lack of power, Gibbs style just does not work. That is not to say that he "can't coach in the league anymore." If he had a more durable, more power based RB instead of a relative speed back like Portis, as well as a GOOD defense which could hold a lead, and a QB who didn't always make mistakes, then fine. But he has none of those things. And lets not get started on him thinking Brunell was still good. Although part of the problem is not just Gibbs, but the fact that the Redskins have not had a really decent QB since Trent Green. And thats just decent, not even "good" or "star." Hopefully Campbell will change that.

The D-line has been consistantly awful for years, with every new addition being old and washed up and/or injured most of the season. The LB corp, which used to be pretty amazing with Washington, Pierce, and the overrated but still good Arrington, is now as you say, average at best. The one bright spot is the secondary should be ridiculously good this year.

On top of all this, the skins consistently under perform, due to injuries, awful decision making, mental mistakes, or bad luck. Its really a joke at this point. The talent is almost always there, things just always seem to [censored] up for them.

Anyways, 8-8. Giants are going to be awful which should help.