Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Pit Bull PSA

[ QUOTE ]
I have a 165 lb. female Rottweiler.

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT'S A HUUUUUUGE BITCH.

Like 1/3rd larger than the normal maximum size. I'm hoping this is a typo.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:08 AM

Naw, she is GIGANTIC, and not fat either. She weighs more than my wife and almost more than me.

If she wanted to kill us both, we probably wouldn't have a chance.

She feels no pain, either. One time, she jumped out of the window of my truck WHILE i was driving. I was pulling into a parking lot, she saw someone she wanted to say hello to and jumped right out, rolled around in the parking lot, shook herself off and didn't miss a beat. unreal.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:11 AM

I honestly fail to see any reason to own a pit bull, doberman, or rottweiler. Why own a freaking attack dog? You can train them all you want, but that doesn't mean one day they are going to freak out and kill someone or something. Everyone has seen the stories where the big lovable pet dog "just freaked out and ripped out the old lady's throat" or "killed the baby that pulled it's tail" or any number of other things.

Why not get a lovable dog that doesn't bite, like a golden retriever that someone else mentioned, or a lab, or any of the dogs that actually make good pets without the effort of "sensitizing them to people or other dogs so they don't kill people or dogs." I mean honestly, why go through the trouble or risk.

Also, if your pit/rott/doberman DOES hurt someone or something, there will be no sympathy by the police, D.A. or jury, they WILL come after you, and you WILL lose. Probably the same can't be said about a Golden or a Lab. Case in point, my boss has a sweet golden, and his neighbor is a freaking psycho. The neighbor doesn't like the dog because he barks, and went on a campaign to get him put to sleep. Including alleging a dog-bite. They had to quarantine the dog for 5 days. Allegedly, the dog bit the neighbor THROUGH the fence. More likely, the neighbor faked it, or wrapped a steak around his hand and put it through the fence. Either way, in court, the Judge actually laughed at the plaintiff and threw the case out. If my boss owned a pit, I doubt the outcome would have been the same.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:22 AM

In my experience the most aggressive and uncontrollable breed is the German Shepard (spelling?). During my childdhood, I´ve been attacked by them at least three times in a serious way, each time a different dog. I´m living in Germany though, and twenty years ago they were still very popular here, mostly as watchdogs.

After that, I can only think of the Rottweiler which I have seen showing aggression in numberous ways. They are extremely territorial and dominant dogs and not very intelligent, altough probably smarter than the German Shepard. I deem the two races to be much more aggressive against humans than the pitbull. Oh, for the doubts about the weight of the dog owned by one of the previous posters, someone in my neighborhood used to have a Rottweiler huge as a lion. It was peaceful as a lamb though, very different from the 3 Shepard-Pitbull-crossbreeds still belonging to the same freak.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:31 AM

I'm not trying to defend those owners who are irresponsible enough to allow their dog into a volatile situation. By volatile situation, I mean any situation where the dog is unrestrained and around strangers.

But the reason people own these dogs is because they enjoy the companionship of a faithful dog. You simply will not find a dog more dedicated to it's owner.

The stories you hear about how these dogs can fight to the death is a tragic example of this same lifelong dedication. They are fighting for their owner in these underground shows, this is why when they are picked up, you never hear of one biting it's owner. Even blind, bloody, confused, and almost dead they will not bite.

I can dig up stories all day long of dogs turning on their master, but the idea that most of these are pits is wrong. I doubt even a significant percentage is.

No one has yet addressed why the nefarious infringement upon the personal freedon to possess what dog you wish is justified.

Cambraceres
Old 02-28-2006, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly fail to see any reason to own a pit bull, doberman, or rottweiler. Why own a freaking attack dog? You can train them all you want, but that doesn't mean one day they are going to freak out and kill someone or something. Everyone has seen the stories where the big lovable pet dog "just freaked out and ripped out the old lady's throat" or "killed the baby that pulled it's tail" or any number of other things.

Why not get a lovable dog that doesn't bite, like a golden retriever that someone else mentioned, or a lab, or any of the dogs that actually make good pets without the effort of "sensitizing them to people or other dogs so they don't kill people or dogs." I mean honestly, why go through the trouble or risk.

Also, if your pit/rott/doberman DOES hurt someone or something, there will be no sympathy by the police, D.A. or jury, they WILL come after you, and you WILL lose. Probably the same can't be said about a Golden or a Lab. Case in point, my boss has a sweet golden, and his neighbor is a freaking psycho. The neighbor doesn't like the dog because he barks, and went on a campaign to get him put to sleep. Including alleging a dog-bite. They had to quarantine the dog for 5 days. Allegedly, the dog bit the neighbor THROUGH the fence. More likely, the neighbor faked it, or wrapped a steak around his hand and put it through the fence. Either way, in court, the Judge actually laughed at the plaintiff and threw the case out. If my boss owned a pit, I doubt the outcome would have been the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I´m pretty sure any Golden Retriever, as harmless they may look like, can be trained to randomly attack and kill an adult male person if they are owned by a weirdo.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly fail to see any reason to own a pit bull, doberman, or rottweiler. Why own a freaking attack dog? You can train them all you want, but that doesn't mean one day they are going to freak out and kill someone or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

The obvious answer is they are good for protection. Before we had my son, I was in favor of getting a Rottweiller. We've got a fenced in back yard, which is further segmented to be a dog area. My intentions was to keep the dog in one of the back yard areas and then let it in at night. I'm gone from time to time, and I thought this would be a little extra security for my wife.

We ended up getting Weirmeramers instead, and they do a decent job in the same capacity. They can't physically protect someone like a rott, but they do a good job of alerting us when something's not right.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Let me reemphasize that Pit Bulls are not a breed that is natuarally aggressive toward people.

Pit Bulls were bred to have little to no aggression toward humans. Think about it from the point of view of the guy who is trying to breed the ultimate fighting dog. You want a dog that is strong, fearless, and aggressive toward other dogs. You don't want a dog that is aggressive toward you, espeacially since you may be handling your dog during and right after fights.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you "bred" an animal to have aggression towards one animal but not another (other being human)?

Training, yes. Breeding?
Old 02-28-2006, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Goldens and labs bite more people than pits do.

ANY dog needs to be properly socialized.

Go see this guy:

See the two dogs to his right? Both pits. They're great dogs - watch his show once when he uses them to help train other very aggressive dogs. They're amazing.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I honestly fail to see any reason to own a pit bull, doberman, or rottweiler. Why own a freaking attack dog? You can train them all you want, but that doesn't mean one day they are going to freak out and kill someone or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

The obvious answer is they are good for protection. Before we had my son, I was in favor of getting a Rottweiller.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a dog for protection, I would recommend a British Bulldog. They are really strong and bold, look frightening,
dont need much walkout (expression?), and for the most important part, they are very friendly, especially to children, and also dont have problems with other dogs. They need huge amounts of food, though, and of course, a Weimaraner looks more pretty [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]