Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you call or fold?
Call 32 31.68%
Fold 69 68.32%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Re: GOOD Wall Street Journal Story

[ QUOTE ]
i don't understand why everyone thinks this is such positive news. the US's plan is to give concessions in some non-gambling areas. that's great that the WTO works and antigua is going to force goliath into some concessions, but i fail to see how it helps us. maybe if i need some law representation in delaware i'll be able to get cutrate foreign lawyers.

i also would like to know some more about how this process works exactly. can the us just say "we'll open up lawyer access" and then two years later say "oops, states wouldn't budge"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Antigua gets to apply sanctions...........IP or whatnot ignored. No recommittments are final until all the deals are done, and arbitration settled, and all parties agree its over. THe sanctiosn run until then, or that is my understanding. So cheap Ipods, nickel and dime movies and songs, etc, until the US redressed all harm done. At some point after stalling, Im sure the EU and pals will get sanctions as well, if the whole WTO doesn't come crashing down around us and start Great Depression II.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:51 PM

The only change that will make regulated online poker possible in the US is a lessening of the political power now enjoyed by Evangelicals. That means a bigger Demorcratic majority and a Democratic president a bit more libertarian than Hillary is likely to be, and less self-righteous and image-fragile than Obama. As for the EU, they certainly enjoy the diversity of opportunities negotiated compensation offers. Drudge and other media don't pay much attention to online poker news because few outside of industry insiders and the people who post here regularly care much one way or the other, sad as that may be. Right now, with all the crises (health care, energy costs, housing market, Iraq, real jobs, Hollywood blondes in rehab) facing this country, poker just doesn't loom large.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:57 PM

how about sending this to lou dobbs? this seems to be exactly the type of thing he talks about (middle class getting sold out.

link
Old 08-23-2007, 01:05 PM

Well, any concessions will require both the Senate and House approval and perhaps some states as well.

Congressman to Governor: We FINALLY have poker banned. I need you to get passed a bill give away your protected industry and lose taxes from state coffers AND perhaps jobs in the state.

Governor: wait, I can get TAXES from Internet poker AND keep everything else....

I still don't like poker, but.....

obg
Old 08-23-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lou,

I was completely disgusted when I read an article in the WSJ http://online.wsj.com/public/article...870406171.html

about how the Bush administration is going to try and sell out US service firms all in the name of "protecting" us from online poker. Does the religious right have such a strangle hold over our government that middle class white collar workers are going to be shafted over whether or not I play some texas holdem before I go to bed?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-23-2007, 01:28 PM

Remember alot of U.S. Congressmen are lawyers, it is around 36% I read.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:32 PM

Sent with the following:

http://online.wsj.com/public/article...870406171.html

And how will Bush sell this to congress and the American people?

Will he say - Ah, I am a compassionate conservative and yes, I know you lost your job when I gave away to France and Germany your job, but hey, I AM protecting you from playing poker where you surely may have lost some money.

I know, now you lost your house, but hey, at LEAST you lost it to an American bank......

obg
Old 08-23-2007, 01:38 PM

Traditionally, and under the 10th amendment, the offering of professional services such as, medical, legal, tax, engineering and architecture, have been licensed by states. Heck there is no federal law license. The federal courts require that lawyers practicing in them are licensed by some state and usually introduced to the court by a local attorney.
So what right does the Bush administration have to negotiate over foreign entities access to those markets?
I think this article is a red herring by the Bush administration to try to convince other politicians, members of congress etc., that this WTO thing is no big deal. These politicians might be hearing peeps from industries that might be affected by IP sanctions.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:41 PM

Sent and sent to the Suggest a News Story as well.

obg
Old 08-23-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't understand why everyone thinks this is such positive news. the US's plan is to give concessions in some non-gambling areas. that's great that the WTO works and antigua is going to force goliath into some concessions, but i fail to see how it helps us. maybe if i need some law representation in delaware i'll be able to get cutrate foreign lawyers.

i also would like to know some more about how this process works exactly. can the us just say "we'll open up lawyer access" and then two years later say "oops, states wouldn't budge"?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's good for us because it bring in more stakeholders. It also helps us to show the hypocrisy of McConnell and others who'd have U.S. businesses get penalized so horse racing Internet betting can continue while claiming that other Internet gaming is somehow less moral.

Boeing and Microsft may not think they should subsidize horse racing.