Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Top Chef 8/22

bernie,

"Of course, then you get sent home for having an incomplete menu or just lack of a dish at all."

I interpreted that not as saying "OK, don't send out anything" but instead as like "taste that, wow that is crap, OK, let's try them without the pesto or without xxx" etc.

Now, of course, you'd then get the criticism "Salmon on bed of pesto - WHERE WAS THE PESTO?" but I think that is something that could be addressed by the chef - "wow, when we made the pesto during service it just didn't work out so I made the call to send out a slightly different dish rather than a bad one."
Old 08-23-2007, 03:07 PM

bernie,

"God, he'd be irritating at the side of your table."

I am super super super nice to staff at restaurants and service people in general, but I can't imagine myself not telling Stephen to just stfu.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bernie,

"Of course, then you get sent home for having an incomplete menu or just lack of a dish at all."

I interpreted that not as saying "OK, don't send out anything" but instead as like "taste that, wow that is crap, OK, let's try them without the pesto or without xxx" etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except they're usually on a tight time-table and won't be able to re-do a dish. Seems once they get that far into the dish and realize it isn't great they're too far into it to restart.

b
Old 08-23-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bernie,

"God, he'd be irritating at the side of your table."

I am super super super nice to staff at restaurants and service people in general, but I can't imagine myself not telling Stephen to just stfu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Watching the customers he was yapping with it seems they echoed your thoughts. It was nice when Dale told him to stfu.

b
Old 08-23-2007, 03:17 PM

I'm not saying that I disagree with sending Tre home. I just could have seen C.J. going home too. It does seem like perhaps another example of inconsistent standards from week to week. Sara N. was eliminated, not for producing anything bad, but for failing to contribute enough conceptually and in the kitchen to help the team win. That week, the one dish that got the most criticism by far on the losing team was Howie's sandwich, and it was Howie's idea to have Sara make the lame sliders.

This time, Tre took the lead; C.J. contributed one of eight dishes and seemed to leave his imprint on none of the others. But this time it's the leader who made bad food going home, and not the person who didn't contribute.

Maybe the situations are different in enough relevant ways (like Tre's salmon dish sucking hardcore)--but still, it hasn't been just about the food every week, and a lot of the judges said otherwise this week.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Guest blogger Andrea really taking a hit

for a 2nd time.

Well deserved, imo.

Her initial blog sucked.

It's under Padma's blog.

b
Old 08-23-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying that I disagree with sending Tre home. I just could have seen C.J. going home too. It does seem like perhaps another example of inconsistent standards from week to week. Sara N. was eliminated, not for producing anything bad, but for failing to contribute enough conceptually and in the kitchen to help the team win. That week, the one dish that got the most criticism by far on the losing team was Howie's sandwich, and it was Howie's idea to have Sara make the lame sliders.

[/ QUOTE ]

Howie will get his, and someone should have told Sara to pick up the pace.

But the feedback on the sliders was the seasoning was inconsistent, the milkshakes were thin (who puts ice in a milkshake?), and there was not enough of either.

People criticized Howie for the cuban because it was a misnomer, not that it was bad on taste or that there was none available.

Seems Sara had the greater cooking sin, if using the reasons for dismissing Tre.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:28 PM

I don't think I'll watch the rest of the season now that Tre is gone. I really liked him and I just don't like the way they choose who they eliminate. Meh. Also I can't stand most of the people left, (esp Sara and Howie), so I'm done.

Also, I have eaten at 'Abacus' twice, the restaurant he is the executive chef at now. I'll be eating there again in october... they are known for their amazing lobster shooters and have a very impressive menu.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:31 PM

Default All Four of Them Deserved to Be Sent Home

[ QUOTE ]
Tre going home sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
After that fiasco, all four of them deserved to go home.
Tre took on the biggest load and screwed up the most dishes. The only dish he did not screw-up was the scallops. Part of being an executive chef is delegating responsibility. Tre failed...miserably. Sending out terrible dishes is a worse sin then doing nothing...

When it came to the decision, the chefs who flew under the radar got a pass and Tre got nailed. CJ should have volunteered to have made the bread pudding... There were no leaders on that team and the judges decided to axe the executive chef. An understandable position....

The other team really pulled together to pull off a great meal. Wow....Howie was actually on a winning team.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: All Four of Them Deserved to Be Sent Home

Only person who I would not be upset if they win is Hung.