Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Re: #1 selling next gen console: The Wii

Graphics are not the end all be all, but if you are going to ask consumers to upgrade to the next product, it should improve the product, not just add a new controller.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:40 PM

Graphics can have an impact on gameplay and thus will always matter on the whole.

[ QUOTE ]

Graphics are not the end all be all, but if you are going to ask consumers to upgrade to the next product, it should improve the product, not just add a new controller.

[/ QUOTE ]

...the new controller itself is an improvement, and the Wii is graphically superior to the gamecube anyway.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:59 PM

If you were ready for next gen graphics and bought a Wii, you might be retarded. I think most everyone bought it for the potential that it brings with motion capabilities.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:02 AM

I sold my Wii in May, got it at lauch day through Amazon, then replaced it for a ps3.

I might get a Wii later down the line, but after beating Zelda I had little interest in the console.

I am very surprised Nintendo has been quite lackluster on the online network, lack of must have games, and no dvd playback with a DVD-rom built in?

I still might buy a Wii later down the line
Old 08-24-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nexgenwars.com has the 360 at 11.1m and the Wii at 10.1m.

[/ QUOTE ]

OT, but why does Google say that nexgenwars.com "may harm my computer"? It's the first time Google has told me this about any site.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this was weird. I hadn't checked nexgenwars in like 6 months and sometime in between they changed their design to update the numbers automatically rather than force the person to hit refresh. Maybe this has something to do with it.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen a few people say it, but I just don't get it...

Why are graphics so important to gamers?

I thought gameplay was all that really mattered.

I can accept inferior graphics as long as I'm having a great time. however, I cannot accept a pretty game if the damn thing is boring.

This is not a slam against any system, it is just an opinion.

Most games from this gen and the last gen for that matter have failed to live up to the fun I had with some of the older games I've spent countless hours on.

[/ QUOTE ]

If gameplay was "all that mattered" we could all be playing old school Nintendo. Obviously it does matter to many.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prob play old school Nintendo and arcade games more than any new system, but I am probably a special case. And really the only new system I am considering getting is a Wii.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's pretty laughable that you're calling me a fanboy in here. I'm not bashing any other system, I'm just saying that the Wii is graphically superior to the gamecube, which is fact.

Load times for the Wii are down significantly which is awesome.

As for the graphics, this is the first generation of Wii games and as everyone knows first gen graphics are not even close to maxing out a system's capabilities. The fact that these are on par with or better than the best gamecube had to offer says a lot about the graphical capability of the system. If you add component cables to your setup, the graphics are markedly better than those of the gamecube.

The fact that you are disappointed with the graphics of the Wii tells me that you're a moron. Nintendo has said from the beginning that the graphics will be better than the gamecube but not next gen. They have delivered on that promise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Defending a console ridiculously is not as bad bashing others but it's still stupid fanboyism. Who cares if the Wii is better than the GC was 4 years ago? You're talking about potential and I'm talking about execution. It's not a big step up if there's not a single Wii game that looks better than RE4 on the GC. Nintendo has absolutely not delivered on the graphics promise. We were told 3x the power of the GC, and we're still waiting to see 1.1x. You can say "The Wii will be a big step up when developers figure out how to use it." Component cables do help, so the Wii is a GC with waggle controls and a component option if you prefer. When the software refutes that, as I'm hoping MP3 will, I'll change my tune.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:54 AM

I'm not "ridiculously" defending anything. You're saying stupid [censored] like "ZOMG IT'S A GC WITH MOTION CONTROLS!" when that is patently false. The graphics are at least as good as anything the GC had to offer. Basically I'm only defending because people like you are deliberately misrepresenting the situation and asking too much. Let's not forget that 1st generation games for a new console rarely show an improvement over the previous console. The first few months of 360 games didn't have anything that looked better than Ninja Gaiden did.

Here are the two Mario Strikers screens side by side.

GC

Wii
Old 08-24-2007, 07:11 AM

You need to calm down.

I'd laugh at you for comparing a game to its sequel and expecting that to mean something, since most sequels even on the same system have graphical upgrades, but I'll laugh at you because your pictures don't help your cause at all.

How does "the graphics are at least as good the GC" refute the notion that the graphics are not any better than the GC?

Whatever, this is going no where. I quit, you win, anyone who points out that the Wii hasn't shown anything but last generation graphics is a moron, the Wii is a god with waggle controls.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:59 AM

people this gen are too impatient...it's like they forgot that it takes time every generation for there to be tons of great games and for the graphics to get really good for the system

on december 12th, the wii will be 54 weeks old...it will have sold 14mil+ consoles and have at least FOUR AAA titles (zelda/metroid/mario/smash) and the graphics of the last 3 (especially mario) will be much better than gamecube...so this whole point will be moot

1st gen games are never even 20% as good as the 5th gen games for a system graphically...u guys KNOW that wii has better graphics than gc, and will show that they are much better in the near future, yet u continue to use that argument, even when u know it's false