Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Why do Americans work so much?

Other first-world countries have socialized medicine and education. Americans must work much harder to pay for both. They also have a later retirement age than some first-world countries. So much of our working so many hours per year is to catch up on necessaries or store up money for anticipated major expenditures.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:57 PM

You know how they report on the increase in American productivity? Some of that is due to technology, etc. Some of that is because they cut the workforce. Mind you, the work hasn't decreased. Same amount of work (or more.) Fewer people to do it.

In my industry, we all agree that things were easier 10 years ago. More and more is expected of each employee. If you're salaried, you're not punching the clock and the work is due when it's due.

As a business owner, it gets even better. There are some things you just can't delegate.

I have strong workaholic tendencies, but money is not the motivation. (Of course it is to the extent that we depend on it to live.) I do it because others depend on me.

I'm also seriously working on curbing my workaholic side.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:54 PM

I must say I was really surprised to find out how much mandatory holiday/vacation pay most other countries have.

It just blows me away that we have 0 days, and countries even like mexico are given a week. Everyone in this country deserves some sort of vacation time, whether you are the fast food guy down the street, to the ski mechanic at my local ski hill. It amazes me that this isn't talked about more in this country.

Link to rest of article
Old 08-27-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I must say I was really surprised to find out how much mandatory holiday/vacation pay most other countries have.

It just blows me away that we have 0 days, and countries even like mexico are given a week. Everyone in this country deserves some sort of vacation time, whether you are the fast food guy down the street, to the ski mechanic at my local ski hill. It amazes me that this isn't talked about more in this country.

Link to rest of article

[/ QUOTE ]

In this country it's thought unpatriotic to discuss its failings and shortcomings. We're always told that we're the best at everything and that nobody else has it anywhere near as good and that we're on a mission from God. And by and large we tend to believe most of it. It's not a very mature society.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:31 AM

England - most people work 40 hours a week standard, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less (Obviously jobs like trading and Doctors don't apply here). Hardly anyone works on a Saturday, or only occasionally when the workload is big. They have 4-5 weeks paid holiday usually.

60 hours over here is considered a ridiculous workload - I always see peices in the news and the crazy hours doctors have to put in (usually around 60).

I think I'd be much much happier having a 9-5 job with 4 weeks holiday that doesn't pay nearly as well than a 60 hour a week job with hardly any holiday that pays much better (obviously kids etc would change my view here).
Old 08-31-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Link to rest of article

[/ QUOTE ]

So are National Holidays voluntary in the US? My company pays me for official holidays, but legally they could just make me work without paying extra?

I'd thought it was the same as Canada where after something like 3 months of employment your employer had to pay you for holidays.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:17 AM

It's up to your employer what's a holiday and what isn't. Even then in the service industry you don't get a paid day off, you get time and a half (hopefully double time) instead. OT doesn't = a paid day off to me.

I worked in the ski industry for 12 years, and I rarely ever saw a holiday off during the winter, and it was never a paid day off. Thats the nature of the service industry and especially in a vacation destination area. A paid day off later on would've been much nicer than the time and a half I got.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:55 AM

I lol whenever I hear ppl mention the length of their workweeks.
In the film industry, an industry CREATED in the USA (more or less), we budget a NORMAL shooting day at 12 filming hours. So that's really more like 13.5 once you put in the 30 minutes of (deducted from pay time) lunch, and usually an hour to wrap the gear at the end of a day.
This is considered normal in ALL features and television. Music videos and commercials are much longer hours, but then again, they only shoot a few days at a time usually so 18 hour days are not that big of a deal if you are only pulling 4 in a row.
The movie that I am currently on is covered by the big unions, but the rights and wages have been totally eroded by ridiculous leadership which has, over the years, given up salaries that were in the past commensurate to the life-robbing hours crews put in. I say this as someone in management - someone who is paid to exploit these weakened unions.
My current crew has the highest worker's pay scale at about $23 per hour. So if a top tier worker labors 60 hours, they make about $1,610 per week. Before taxes.
What realy horrifies me, is that, while on most shows the employer must pay an additional stipend of 4% to the employee for "vacation" pay, and the employer must also paid non-worked legal holidays (of which our industry recognizes only 13 out of 365 calendar days), the deal that is cut at my show's budget level doesn't pay these concessions.
It's sickening.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I lol whenever I hear ppl mention the length of their workweeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lol whenever I hear people start to do the reverse brag about how tough they have it.

[ QUOTE ]
So that's really more like 13.5 once you put in the 30 minutes of (deducted from pay time) lunch, and usually an hour to wrap the gear at the end of a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't get paid to eat lunch. Thats outrageous!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!

[ QUOTE ]

My current crew has the highest worker's pay scale at about $23 per hour. So if a top tier worker labors 60 hours, they make about $1,610 per week. Before taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

These guys can only rake in 80 grand/year. You should have a telethon. Especially after most of them have spent years in college/university, followed by years of experience. They have it rough compared to all of the salaried people that end up having to put in *gasp* unpaid overtime (Note: These people are doing real work, not just eating during their overtime).

[ QUOTE ]

What realy horrifies me, is that, while on most shows the employer must pay an additional stipend of 4% to the employee for "vacation" pay, and the employer must also paid non-worked legal holidays (of which our industry recognizes only 13 out of 365 calendar days), the deal that is cut at my show's budget level doesn't pay these concessions.

[/ QUOTE ]

What really horrifies me is the number of people in this world that are starving, oppressed, living in constant fear their children will be raped and killed.

[ QUOTE ]
It's sickening.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need a re-adjustment of what sickens you.

Not sure why I'm such an [censored] right now. Maybe 'cause I'm drunk.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:47 AM

I don't have it tough at all, actually. I make good money. FWIW, my guild doesn't permit lunchtime to be deducted from my work time anyhow (I am management). I was reflecting on the work hours of my crew.
As far as $1,610 per week coming out to 80K or so a year, well, the thing about freelance work is that one doesn't work 50 weeks a year. Frankly, I am so drained after 3-5 months on a movie that I can't imagine doing it 50 weeks a year. No time to sleep, to see friends and family, to exercise. So most years crews work a lot less days/weeks. Additionally, we have the constant specter of one union or another going on strike and we all being sol. Additionally, Los Angeles is a pricey place to live.
In regard to your response about sickening, of course I am sickened by what is going on all over the world in the sense of REAL horror - I was attempting to illustrate what is disturbing to me about the state of affairs in my particular industry, which to me, as a consummate American business, is going the way of the Wal-Marting of the world - lower decent pay, extend working hours, short ppl's health and pension plans, etc.

All in All, I still love my job - I'm making moovees!

Oh - & I embrace drunken discourse, btw! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]