Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 02:38 AM

Default Re: $27 butchered AK.. flame away. 4bet shove PF?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why did you raise to 125 preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

2.5x raises make for small cbets when HU on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a balancing act. Being able to make a smaller c-bet HU is irrelevant if you fail to get it HU because the raise size was too small. IMO 2.5x is too small at this blind level - but what works best depends on the table. Raise a bit more if you're getting too many callers, a bit less if you're getting no action.

You can't call the raise - unless he's reraising very loose and can't fold 44/AQ post-flop, he's far more likely to get you stacking off to him than you are to get him stacking off to you, and you have to hit the flop to get anywhere at all, so you're accepting a very one-sided bet.

If you're going to push you need a pretty serious read to have the right odds. It's hard to see you having much FE, so it's only going to be profitable if he gets bizarrely attached to a lot of hands weaker than AK (more equity if called) or if you've done something recently that might make him think he can push you off with a reraise (more FE than you'd think).
Old 08-22-2007, 02:42 AM

There is a reason in raising 3.5 to 4x in the early levels(up to 30/60). The reason is to build a big enough pot pf. That you can get all in without having to overbet the pot at any point. You always try to be all in on the turn when you have a big hand. You don't want to have to overbet shove the turn to protect your AA(or whatever) from a draw on the turn. Change your raise size. This is a huge leak at the early levels. As played, you have to c/f the flop.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:46 AM

Opps, this is a good flop for AK. 10 outs twice is about 40%. I guess CRAI the flop is my choice.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:55 AM

^^Higher raises at lower blind levels are not mainly to make sure you can stack someone - it doesn't make that much difference (even if you don't get multiple callers making the pot huge anyway). 2.5x pre ->6xish pot (depending on who called) ->6x on flop ->18x pot ->12x on turn -> 42x in pot, allowing a river push at pretty much any blind level. Building it bigger earlier gives more options, but it's not a key consideration.

You protect your stack better in the early levels if your raise sizes are designed to get no more than one or two callers. There's no point risking more chips than needed to accomplish this, but equally you shouldn't put your stack at greater risk by raising too little and playing a lot of multiway pots.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Opps, this is a good flop for AK. 10 outs twice is about 40%. I guess CRAI the flop is my choice.

[/ QUOTE ]
What range are you putting him on? If he's holding an A the gutshot outs are to a split. If he's got KK only 3 overcard outs are good; if he has AA none of our outs are good (bar running Ks and 4 to a split).

I can't find a realistic range where we have anything like enough equity over 2 cards to call an overbet push. 40% is the most you could reasonably have, IMO, and you need to win closer to 60% for this to be break even in $EV.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:10 PM

BTW this is an obv shove or fold pre
but once you get to this flop. I think you need to call.
Giving him a range of 88+ and KQo (just as a random bluff hand) you are pretty much racing.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:22 PM

an obviously nitty "raise 25 more chips" comment. i'd fold to a RR unless the villain was ubderloose - in which case I'd think of shoving, but would still prolly fold a lot.