Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 02:52 AM

Default Re: The Power of Nightmares.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh yes, it is.

An unjust society could never even come close to what we have achieved.

You don't like it, go live in Cuba.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try a logical argument and maybe there will be a point to debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kaj - I want to have your baby - you're my new favorite poster [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

RB
Old 08-21-2007, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Rape of Nanking

The Holocaust

[ QUOTE ]
Dropping an atom bomb on thousands of innocent civilians is clearly ok, I'm sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but you will never be able to understand why.

This film might give you a vague notion, however. Pay careful attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

The holocaust is a good example of where the US failed/ were reluctant to use their power to stop something disastrous and stood by whilst one of the worlds worst atrocities took place. Most WW2 revisionist historians will give the US a very bad run regarding the circumstances of their involvement in WW2.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:33 AM

The dude that came to the US to study its trends or whatever and witnessed the "fakeness" of our personal lives decided the best way to fix things would be to tell lies to the people and get them to believe heavily in religion and state and so on, does that sound about right? Sorry this sounds sloppy I was falling asleep when I watched this, only watched the first 30 minutes or so.

Anyways that [censored] really pissed me off, like the only way to help people escape from their shallow lives is to give them more bull [censored]? Did I interpret that right?
Old 08-21-2007, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The dude that came to the US to study its trends or whatever and witnessed the "fakeness" of our personal lives decided the best way to fix things would be to tell lies to the people and get them to believe heavily in religion and state and so on, does that sound about right? Sorry this sounds sloppy I was falling asleep when I watched this, only watched the first 30 minutes or so.

Anyways that [censored] really pissed me off, like the only way to help people escape from their shallow lives is to give them more bull [censored]? Did I interpret that right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, you got it right. IMO, that dude was just jealous because he was born in the desert and never had a lawn.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, the moral authority of the United States in not contrived and baseless. I'll tell you why.

Here's a challenge that will illustrate.

Pick a metric about quality of life or standard of living. You will find that in a little over 200 years of history, the US has produced a society which has far eclipsed any accomplishment in those areas of any other nation or civilization in the history or the world. Ever.
The belief in American exceptionalism is based in results. Concrete, undeniable, irrefutable fact. To not believe in American exceptionalism is to deny history.
This is how the moral authority of the US has been established. This is also why no other force in history has been able to compete with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I take HDI. And follow ofr 2006 the moral leadership of Norway.
And by the way, your post is a nice level.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ah, the moral authority of the United States in not contrived and baseless. I'll tell you why.

Here's a challenge that will illustrate.

Pick a metric about quality of life or standard of living. You will find that in a little over 200 years of history, the US has produced a society which has far eclipsed any accomplishment in those areas of any other nation or civilization in the history or the world. Ever.

The belief in American exceptionalism is based in results. Concrete, undeniable, irrefutable fact. To not believe in American exceptionalism is to deny history.

This is how the moral authority of the US has been established. This is also why no other force in history has been able to compete with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flawed, it assumes that because people who lived in America in the past made decisions that lead to dominance that the decisions made by current, or very recent individuals follow the same potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

It also assumes that those who made decisions that led to dominance made the right moral decisions -- as if wealth (or even overt plundering) makes right.

[/ QUOTE ]

It also assumes that it was the decisions of the political elite that made America powerful.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:21 PM

aww, man..the fog of war?
Old 08-21-2007, 09:50 PM

Old 08-22-2007, 05:37 AM

Old 08-22-2007, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BBC
Bush Bashing Coporation
Bagdad Broadcasting Corporation
Bugger Blair Corporation

All these names were given to it by memebrs of the Brit Military I used to work with. Honest professional men.

BBC on the whole tends towards decent world coverage, but to even hint that they don't posess a serious anti-American (not just anti-Bush or neocon) bias would be the worst kind of head in the sand thinking.

For those that haven't spent much time in The UK, Yank bashing is a kind of sport over there in any political discussion. Most do it in a friendly, "taking the piss out of you" way but BBC makes it a professional mission to take as many giant smelly [censored] on all things American.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. If they wanted to sell this to americans, they needed to use the actors from Heros, American Idol etc.