Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2006, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Seriously guys... why do they keep giving these idiots TV time?

(didn't read all the replies)

The reason they show such unlikeable people is precisely BECAUSE they are unlikeable.

Mike and Phil likely garner more viewers and higher ratings than Greenstein and Todo.

Although I find guys like Greenstein, Lederer and Ivey fairly compelling.
But they aren't jumping up and down or flipping chairs over or really having verbal battles with their opponents (although Ivey got a bit more vocal with Matusow in the recent Monte Carlo tourney).

Showing Mike and Phil over the other guys is not unlike why TV stations show pro-wrestling or police-videos of car-chases and wrecks or screaming, incestuous rednecks on Jerry Springer.

It's not supposed to better society.
It isn't supposed to reflect positively on anything.
It's just supposed to attract viewers.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The reason they show such unlikeable people is precisely BECAUSE they are unlikeable.

Mike and Phil likely garner more viewers and higher ratings than Greenstein and Todo.

But they aren't jumping up and down or flipping chairs over or really having verbal battles with their opponents (although Ivey got a bit more vocal with Matusow in the recent Monte Carlo tourney).

Showing Mike and Phil over the other guys is not unlike why TV stations show pro-wrestling or police-videos of car-chases and wrecks or screaming, incestuous rednecks on Jerry Springer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Ivey would probably not be seen as good for TV - yet I would be glued to the screen watching his play.

Gotta dumb it down for the masses, right?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Ivey would probably not be seen as good for TV - yet I would be glued to the screen watching his play.

Gotta dumb it down for the masses, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm.. What are you talking about.. They showed the entire TOC event!!

Why is everyone insinuating that ESPN went out of there way to put this table on the air.. THEY WERE SHOWING IT NO MATTER WHO REACHED THE FINAL TABLE!

Geez, wake up.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:19 AM

Fair enough. I don't know either personally either, but to me Mike seems like a decent guy who a) jokes around a lot and b) isn't that bright. Whereas Hellmuth seems like an arrogant prick who thinks he's better than everyone else (and maybe he is, but he could be more classy about it), and I would suspect he carries that attitude around off the tables as well.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:40 AM

Here's all you need to know..

Hellmuth is a family man with 2 children that he loves.

Matusow is a on again/off again junkie who has been rumored to frequently enjoy the pleasure of Nevada's "Self-Employed" workers.

=

Hellmuth gets frustrated at the tables because he knows luck plays such a large factor and he knows he has a clear skill edge over his opponents.

Matusow gets frustrated at the table because he thinks God is out to get him and he's the most unluckiest person on the planet and that nobody suffers from the downswings that he does. He also has recently stated in dead seriousness, that he could beat any random internet poker player 95 out of 100 times in No Limit hold em. I can only assume that he failed to comprehend how absurd the statement was.

Matusow.. Is King [censored].
Old 02-28-2006, 02:10 AM

you look dumber every time you post
Old 02-28-2006, 02:32 AM

"Please God, just help me out one time. Help out Mikey one time..."

I must've heard that statement like eight times during the show. Norman Chad owned Matusow hardcore when he said, "With this win, Matusow is even for the month," though. Best quote of the entire night, even if it wasn't from Hellmuth or the Mouth.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes it was a brilliant laydown. One very few, if anyone else, could possibly laydown.

Laying down K-8 there is a TREMENDOUS laydown.

[/ QUOTE ]
Get your head out of his and your own ass.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:49 AM

Phil's reading and playing is absolutely sick. Yep, he is thight, but the guy invented a personal playing-style in the past and it suits him perfectly. Matusow is just a piece of ass with his verbal war. He plays rags like 7-2 offsuit and hopes to catch a piece on the flop. Now I know why Hellmuth is saying that he always has the best hand for the pot. Everything what Hellmuth says is dead on, if you don't listen to his arrogance and self-promotion you will hear that the man is one of the greatest and one of the most knowledgeable players in the game. Listen to cardplayer when he is commentating or read his articles.

Give Phil credit, you guys know that you never will reach Phil's level. You are always judging him on his antics and not on his play. It's getting pretty boring...

Btw, nice to hear, during the TOC, that the young student Brandon Adams busted Matusow for 40.000 online. And his mommy had to take away his computer...
Old 02-28-2006, 06:38 AM

becasue acting like a jerk*** sells. Look at Dennis Rodman